Laughing City
juan
Lost at Forum

How come Invaison is released only on i-tunes? I have i-tunes, albeit I'm a uk LCer so couldn't buy it even if I was planning on doing so, however si this a future marketting strategy for the band? Will we ever get proper copies of singles, like real touchy feely cd disk, or did they go out in the 90's?

Would just be nice to be able to buy something other than a digital file! I have an I pod, I have i-tunes, but I'm not down with the kids when it comes to buying digital music, on the occaisions I do buy music, I like to see that my music i'm buying a physical entity, otherwise I feel cheated.

This is not a rant, much, just really a question and serious of ramblings. Someone enlighten my mind and tell me that future releases of singles, eps etc will be on cd. I know that the band are all Apple-heads, but it would be good to have some proper cd release.

- Charles Darwin (legend)
Joined: 04 Apr 2003 | Posts: 1296 | Location: Gateshead - good ol' blighty, up north
sukieinthe_g
Golly, Poster

Yeah, I feel the same way. I also wish more people would release stuff on vinyl. You just can't beat that vinyl sound.

I fear that one day cds will become obsolete and EVERYTHING will just be a digital file.

gRegor
the gEek

I'm pretty sure they still release singles (at least here in the US), though I don't buy them usually so I'm not really up to date on all that. I would imagine they're mostly released for the larger bands that the labels are quite sure the single will be successful.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

As cool as it would be, it would be financially wasteful for Eisley to release print singles, at least at this point. iTunes makes it easy because the overhead is so low (or nonexistent, I suppose), so they can release singles without going further into debt to the label. The ability to make a profit from such singles is dramatically better. Which for Eisley is a very good thing.

Hopefully this isn't always the case, but the answer, I am guessing, would be that they're doing this because they can afford to.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elfnogg
Sea Post King

I don't know if they still do cd singles or not. I'm sure they do.. But when I worked at a few cd stores around here, singles were not something we could get. That may be one of the reasons the cd business is dying so fast. Since I left my job, I've seen the close of OnCue, Sam Goody, and Tower Records as well as all the locally owned cd shops as well. I don't know if that's a nation wide thing, but around here it's impossible to buy a cd. Who wants to pay $20 bucks to hear one song? Seriously.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

I liked what Brand New did with their last album: printed up a set number of copies of their single, threw a b-side on the CD and put it in a cardboard sleeve and gave it to the first X amount of people who ordered the CD. I suppose it's too close to the release for Eisley to do that with Invasion, but in the future it'd be a cool thing to do for fans, I think.
Golly, Poster

sukieinthe_g wrote:
Yeah, I feel the same way. I also wish more people would release stuff on vinyl. You just can't beat that vinyl sound.

I fear that one day cds will become obsolete and EVERYTHING will just be a digital file.

thats funny, i feel the oposite way, I can't wait for it to happen! We'll always have tangible things - hoodies, tee's, lithographs, etc. But as a musician myself - I don't want to be on vinyl, I don't want to be in a cd - I want to be in people's pockets with muse, radiohead, eisley, and the beatles. Its lonely sitting on some vinyl people have to go home and have a huge record player to hear me.
ZenArtist
Golly, Poster

juan wrote:
Would just be nice to be able to buy something other than a digital file! I have an I pod, I have i-tunes, but I'm not down with the kids when it comes to buying digital music, on the occaisions I do buy music, I like to see that my music i'm buying a physical entity, otherwise I feel cheated.

This is not a rant, much, just really a question and serious of ramblings. Someone enlighten my mind and tell me that future releases of singles, eps etc will be on cd. I know that the band are all Apple-heads, but it would be good to have some proper cd release.

Personally I've already accepted that music is like money is like love - they're all essentially abstractions. For example we exchange green paper money, and it seems as if we we're exchanging that object for another, but in reality we are merely exchanging an abstraction - the money just symbolizes an agreement on the value exchanged. Did you know the copper in the penny in worth more than the penny itself? Money/value/music really only exists as an idea to me. If we switched to an all virtual money system (something like debit cards) I'd actually be comfortable with it. Its only an abstraction in the first place, paper money gives the illusion that it isn't.

I understand this concept disturbs some people but paper money is just an abstraction-an agreement of value - its isn't real. Consider this: it costs exactly the same amount to manufacture a $100 bill or a $1 bill.

I have no problem with the thought that I'm buying music that has no physical entity - its just an exchange of an abstraction - its just an exchange of energy anyway. Its just as real in my mind as a cd.
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

I also agree, I love CDs, having a physical copy, the case, the liner notes, lyrics, thank yous, credits... knowing who did what on the album.

Not to mention computers CRASH and music is LOST. So why burn the music onto a CD to save it for physical copy when I can just spend the money and BUY THE PACKAGE.

I will be upset the day music is only sold digitally. Though I must admit, nothing is better than a classic Miles Davis record on vinyl.

i'm gonna marry the mars volta.
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 8260 | Location: new hampshire
shard
Sea Post King

I understand why the digital only thing would be the feasible way to go, but I still think it would be a great and not-too-expensive iidea to release a small limited amount of physical copies for the collecters, loyal fans and the like
Vintage Newbie

I can't remember the last time I saw CD singles in a store.

It's funny though... I also like CDs, but the reality is I rarely use them. When I buy them I rip them and listen to them on the computer or I'll use the MP3 player.

I have a 300 disc CD player (that currently has about 7 CDs in it) that I've used several times in the past few months. Other than that, the CDs sit on a shelf most of the time. By the way, the reason I haven't filled up the CD player with our CDs is you have to take all the CDs out when you move it (or you risk them falling out of place and getting lodge inside... which has happened before). I've moved twice in the past couple of years and I haven't bothered to put all the CDs back. It's time consuming because I like them to be in alphabetical order (otherwise finding X CD would be virtually impossible). I don't see a point to taking that time for something I rarely use.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number