Laughing City
Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

this was sent to the tab site

"is there anyway you can find some wings and windows piano tabs?? or any piano tabs would be fine. the only piano tabs i see are "brightly wound" and "head against the sky" but I would like to request more songs please! thank you!" - Marina

can you fill her request? Smile

Last edited by Unregistered on Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:16 am; edited 2 times in total
nevernever
Laughing Citizen

i can try to make some.
Joined: 10 Nov 2005 | Posts: 1692 | Location: orange county, ca
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Piano... tabs?

What is the world coming to...

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mermaidentwinedshrubbery
Sea Post King

So would you put like 13, 18, 15, 27, 30? Sure, just count from the left-most key, and that's the number you press!

Haha.

Perhaps she might want some sheet music. That would be easier. Razz
Joined: 10 Jun 2005 | Posts: 192 | Location: Castle Rock, CO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nevernever
Laughing Citizen

mermaidentwinedshrubbery wrote:

Haha.

Perhaps she might want some sheet music. That would be easier. Razz

i'm pretty sure that's what she meant. haha
Joined: 10 Nov 2005 | Posts: 1692 | Location: orange county, ca
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

Tabs....

I'm trying to teach myself bass and honestly, I get so confused reading tabs. I'm used to sheet music reading and even after looking up what the numbers and dashes and everything means, it's still hard to make my brain make sense of it. I tried explaining to a friend who doesn't read music, only tabs, on how it was more difficult for me. He didn't get it.

All that to say 1) funny how your foundation in music effects how your brain interprets things and 2) great request if anyone can do it! Very Happy
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

Tabs are a big waste of time, instead of trying to figure out tabs, try and figure out the song by ear. It'll benefit you sooo much in the long wrong.

(not toward the original poster, but just toward the concept of tabs in general)

i'm gonna marry the mars volta.
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 8260 | Location: new hampshire
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

hisownshot wrote:
Tabs are a big waste of time, instead of trying to figure out tabs, try and figure out the song by ear. It'll benefit you sooo much in the long wrong.

(not toward the original poster, but just toward the concept of tabs in general)

I like using tabs to help me learn how to play by ear. I'm still not good at it at all, though. But these days I usually just prefer to know chords, at least for guitar, and then figure it out from there. So I think tabs are useful for people who have no access to musical knowledge except for maybe the Internet.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

TheAntrider wrote:
I like using tabs to help me learn how to play by ear. I'm still not good at it at all, though. But these days I usually just prefer to know chords, at least for guitar, and then figure it out from there. So I think tabs are useful for people who have no access to musical knowledge except for maybe the Internet.
That's how it works for me as well. I've never had any sort of training on piano, so when I'm learning a new song it helps if I have sheet music to tell me the first few notes. Once I've established where on the keyboard the song's played it's easy to pick up the rest, but it's nice to have that crutch in the beginning.
Vintage Newbie

I usually learn a song (on piano) by ear.

step 1: pick out chords
step 2: pick out melody line
step 3: pick out random frilly things
step 4: put them all together

but on tricky songs like "Sanit Simon" by The Shins...I had to look up the chords. It was just too much for my brain.
Joined: 31 May 2004 | Posts: 2018 | Location: Sacramento, CA
ParanoidxAndroid
Sea Post King

I think tabs are all right, the only real problem i have with them is that a lot of the times the parts people will have "figured out" sound the same but aren't the same parts that the actual writer of the song had played. For example (hypothetically) say someone plays, 9 on D in the actual song but during the tabbing process whoever is tabbing out the song plays it on the 14th fret on A or the 4th on G, it won't sound exactly the same because each string resonates a little differently, but that's just me being picky.

On the other hand, I don't think you can really say to someone "just try and figure it out by ear", i mean, picking out root notes in a chord in order to be able to figure out the rest of the chord is something that you can't just do unless you've already been taught how, or just have an extremely good sense of pitch and notation naturally (which isn't the case for most people, you've heard how tone deaf crowds at concerts can be!). All in all I think tabs are a good thing for people just starting their instrument, but not something i think you should rely on as a musician for the entirety of your life.

The Machine Garden like friends.
Joined: 09 Nov 2004 | Posts: 129 | Location: Kill-umbus, Ohio. w0rd to your motha
Absent Minded256
Sea Post King

heeyyyyyyyyyyyyy that's my request. yeah so i was sitting there trying to play wings and windows and it didn't work out. and YES i want some sheets of music. i meant to say sheets of music not tabs, sorry.

i was so happy i got to play "brightly wound" on keyboard because i used the [only] music sheets on the eisley tab sites

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Absent Minded256 wrote:

i was so happy i got to play "brightly wound" on keyboard because i used the [only] music sheets on the eisley tab sites

Yeah, I should make some more some day.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Absent Minded256
Sea Post King

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Absent Minded256 wrote:

Yeah, I should make some more some day.

oh you're the one who made those sheets? i did play brightly wound by ear and it sounded sort of similar to the real keys but after i found your music sheets and tried out the notes, it sounded exactly like the real song Smile

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

I've been real lazy about that whole thing, but it's such a pain to type out the music because I couldn't do it on a piano. I think my new digital piano might have the proper functionality, but I haven't even tried it. Then, there's the fact that most Eisley songs aren't worth transcribing because you can barely hear the piano at all on the records.

You are normally better off just playing chords on the piano on most songs.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY