Laughing City
Pantalaimon
Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:
princesstripandfall wrote:
The only thing that really gets me with eisley's live performance is that sherri almost always sounds like she is forcing her voice out of herself. I know that might sound kind of over-analytical, but if you watch live videos, she usually looks like she's straining to hit most notes, whereas stacy looks almost like she's not even trying most of the time.

+1

well sherri is the soprano, stacy is the alto. usually. and sherri's parts are usually a lot harder to reach than stacy's.

norad
Vintage Newbie

Pantalaimon wrote:
Saellys wrote:
The only thing that really gets me with eisley's live performance is that sherri almost always sounds like she is forcing her voice out of herself. I know that might sound kind of over-analytical, but if you watch live videos, she usually looks like she's straining to hit most notes, whereas stacy looks almost like she's not even trying most of the time.

+1

well sherri is the soprano, stacy is the alto. usually. and sherri's parts are usually a lot harder to reach than stacy's.

But they have control over it. They don't have to sing that high.
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

um, yeah, i know that. (not you, nora, the other person)
i'm referring to the way sherri uses her voice, not how high her range is. Smile
trust me, if you watch and listen to enough live stuff, you'll notice th back-of-the-throat strain thing going on.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Pantalaimon wrote:
Saellys wrote:

+1

Soprano means that her voice is naturally higher, which means that for Sherri the notes would not be harder to reach. She's clearly straining herself in lots of the live performances.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

it's especially apparent in IWP and the chorus of Marvy Things...
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

I think both the gals are altos, and Sherri just tries to sing too high or doesn't sing properly. I don't know, everything Eisley sings is within the alto range anyway.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
lazerbith
Sea Post King

i think as sherri has aged her voice has probably become less able to stretch the notes she sang a few years ago.....
i mean, stacy now vs stacy 4 years ago is very different.

maybe she has to stay higher or else we wouldnt have those blazing sweet harmonies?

either way, no one can TOUCH sherris voice in 'lost at sea' tapedeck version... pure beauty.
Pantalaimon
Sea Post King

after singing a lot, it starts to hurt to sing, especially if you're a soprano. the tongue-in-the-back-of-the-throat thing tends to happen (happened to me yesterday) and you're forced to strain to keep a decent sound.

since sherri is doing many songs, one after another, it must be really hard.

and a lot of the eisley songs are high. "it's especially apparent in IWP and the chorus of Marvy Things..." these are pretty high parts. it's understandable."

princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

meh, ok then.
i know tons of singers, many who are sopranos, and none of them ever say that singing hurts them. but whatever.

i can't stop listening to Go Away. (you didn't post the link to that one!)
i know this is kinda wierd, but stacy's vocals in that song remind me of lillix. i really like lillix, so thats not bad. Razz
Pantalaimon
Sea Post King

sorry, i meant like when you have to sing many songs that are high, one after another, with no real breaks. ask any of your soprano friends and i'm sure they'll agree.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Pantalaimon wrote:
sorry, i meant like when you have to sing many songs that are high, one after another, with no real breaks. ask any of your soprano friends and i'm sure they'll agree.

The voice is an instrument just like any other. With proper technique and stamina you can sing for hours without excessive fatigue or damage. Just think about people who sing in Opera or Broadway for a living. 10 shows a week!? There's a reason all those screamo bands get new lead singers (read: squawkers) every few years.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Retrovertigo
Sea Post King

Gosh, I'm easy to please.

I like their singing. All of it.

princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Pantalaimon wrote:

The voice is an instrument just like any other. With proper technique and stamina you can sing for hours without excessive fatigue or damage. Just think about people who sing in Opera or Broadway for a living. 10 shows a week!? There's a reason all those screamo bands get new lead singers (read: squawkers) every few years.

yep. I mean...Pantalaimon, do you sing? 'Cause you don't sound like a singer. No offense. but seriously, can we get back to the topic? Come Clean is making my heart happy.
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Yes, singing at their level requires tuning of the voice like an instrument. I think Sherri has a unique style that sounds quite good. I for one found Eisley live (all of them) to be the best concert I have seen in years. Who wants to hear an exact copy of the studio track when they see someone live? If Sherri and Stacy sing 6 shows a week, with travel between shows, that could put a strain on anyone. Especially how they have traveled in past tours (in a van). I know Sherri had a cold or something for much of the Final Noises tour. That could have caused her to strain more than normal on that tour. As I have not seen them (live) on any other tour, I cannot really comment on those. And yes, the comments about opera singers and training are 100% correct. My brother-in-law is an opera singer, and he is always practicing and tuning his voice.
Lady_Gown
Sea Post King

lazerbith wrote:
either way, no one can TOUCH sherris voice in 'lost at sea' tapedeck version... pure beauty.

That was the very first song I heard by Eisley. Soooo beautiful. Much more than the Room Noises version, in my opinion.

I love these new songs, but those Fray fans drove me nuts.
Joined: 02 May 2006 | Posts: 274 | Location: Asteroid B-612

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>