Laughing City
guitargirl
Laughing Citizen

Pantalaimon wrote:
sorry, i meant like when you have to sing many songs that are high, one after another, with no real breaks. ask any of your soprano friends and i'm sure they'll agree.

I know exactly what you mean. I'm a soprano,(though I was in orchestra) and so was one of my roomies on our music trip this year. She complained about the high Cs a bit. Playing notes, whether singing or on an instrument, in extremes is difficult and takes a lot of effort to create a decent tone.

j'ai pas envie d'être un robot, métro boulot dodo
-Kelli
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

To all of the people complaing about Sherri straining her voice:

It might not have anything to do with her knowledge of "how to sing."
It's most likely is that she sings with passion.
Singing Opera, and singing in a rock band are two different things.

She sings like an angel, they all do.
Joined: 31 May 2004 | Posts: 2018 | Location: Sacramento, CA
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

please don't get all smart, ok?
it's not like we are saying we don't like sherri's voice. I just wonder sometimes how long it'll be as wonderful as it is if she keeps singing the way she does.
Retrovertigo
Sea Post King

I didn't think anyone was getting "all smart". It's just someone with a different opinion. Additionally, I am not trying to be smart by pointing that out, I swear.
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

sorry, i'm just saying. the way it was typed with the "quotes", etc. made it seem a little sarcastic. With the internet, it's hard to tell Smile plus, my friend called and woke me up at 2:15 AM, which is when i replied to that.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

cynlovescandy wrote:
To all of the people complaing about Sherri straining her voice:

It might not have anything to do with her knowledge of "how to sing."
It's most likely is that she sings with passion.

I'm not complaining about Sherri's voice. Under the right conditions I think it's just gorgeous. But as tripandfall said, it may not be gorgeous for long if she keeps singing like that. What people seem to be interpreting as complaints are in many cases really concern. Improper technique can lead to vocal cord nodules and other serious problems later in life; women's voices hit their prime in their late thirties and early forties, so Sherri has a long time to pace herself. Touring musicians need to take obsessively great care of themselves on the road.

I'm thinking of people like Brandi Carlile who, though she sounds very different from Sherri, most definitely sings with passion and is almost constantly on the road. She takes measures to stay in top form and when I saw her in April she sounded fantastic, even after going for two hours in a stifling hot room.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I certainly never thought it was complaining, but I think we're kind of jumping the gun. True, if she is straining her voice, it would be important for her to learn ways to preserve it (as it does seem to have a fragile quality). But we're saying all of this without knowing at all what she actually does for her vocal routine. And I keep thinking that Kim, a great singer for many years, might have figured this out, too. But hey, I guess one of the things message boards are for is speculation, and if this one pans out, maybe it'll help her.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
superhits
Sea Post King

[quote="Saellys"]
princesstripandfall wrote:
The only thing that really gets me with eisley's live performance is that sherri almost always sounds like she is forcing her voice out of herself. I know that might sound kind of over-analytical, but if you watch live videos, she usually looks like she's straining to hit most notes, whereas stacy looks almost like she's not even trying most of the time.

Really? I do agree on Sherri's part but I have a weird thing about Stacy's live vocals. Like her high notes are kinda weird to me? Like too airy if that makes sense? Say if she's hitting high notes on an older song.. it just doesn't work for me, but I don't think it's as if it's hard for Sherri to get the high notes out, I just think her performances are emotional whereas for Stacy, I think she struggles more for the high notes but she's totally comfortable in the lower range, a range where Sherri really can't reach. So really, I both think they have weak and strong points during performances.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

[quote="superhits"]
Saellys wrote:
princesstripandfall wrote:
The only thing that really gets me with eisley's live performance is that sherri almost always sounds like she is forcing her voice out of herself. I know that might sound kind of over-analytical, but if you watch live videos, she usually looks like she's straining to hit most notes, whereas stacy looks almost like she's not even trying most of the time.

Really? I do agree on Sherri's part but I have a weird thing about Stacy's live vocals. Like her high notes are kinda weird to me? Like too airy if that makes sense? Say if she's hitting high notes on an older song.. it just doesn't work for me, but I don't think it's as if it's hard for Sherri to get the high notes out, I just think her performances are emotional whereas for Stacy, I think she struggles more for the high notes but she's totally comfortable in the lower range, a range where Sherri really can't reach. So really, I both think they have weak and strong points during performances.

I think it kind of highlights why the make such a great team. They both have a great voices, but they cover different ranges and they can team up to form one really amazing voice. I can't wait for them to get Chauntelle really worked into that.

alastica
Sea Post King

So...not to sidestep all the great talk about sopranos and altos and whatnot, but I lovvvve the feel to "Come Clean" so, so much. When the chorus hits, it's so beautiful. I keep watching that first webisode just to listen to it.

Joined: 01 Apr 2006 | Posts: 314 | Location: Greetings From Michigan, The Great Lakes State!
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

cynlovescandy wrote:

Technique and genre are two very different things.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Girlylikepixieflamethrow
Golly, Poster

I think Sherri's voice is naturally waaay higher than Stacy's, which would make it appear that she's straining... but I think she was probably just born that way. And it's gorgeous, because without that there would be no Eisley. The difference in their voices makes it what it is.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

This song is so good ... I can't wait to hear it at CD quality again.

madcat2089
Sea Post King

ha I think it's pretty rediculous for us forum members to be picking at their vocal skills as if we are experts, or that they would even care
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

no one ever said they would care.
and as it's been said before, no one is complaining
about sherri's voice at all.
I personally love it and agree that there would be no eisley without it.
I only brought up the subject of sherri's live vocals as an observation, not something to debate over. so as far as im concerned, it's not ridiculous and everything's all good Smile

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>