Laughing City
gscherer
Sea Post King

Does anyone know if Combinations will be released on vinyl like Room Noises was?!
treetops12
Vintage Newbie

Eventually, yes.
drenchedecent
Sea Post King

I can't find out information about it anywhere. It does not appear to be releasing the same day as the CD (which sucks).
norad
Vintage Newbie

What's so cool about a vinyl? I have no idea why I have two of them...
loveisachemical
Vintage Newbie

patrock wrote:

Vinyl sounds great when an album is originally recorded analog. Unfortunately it sound like crap when it's recorded digital. I'm assuming Eisley recorded digital again (which makes sense), so I'd go with the cd.
mermaidentwinedshrubbery
Sea Post King

It's more of a collectors item. It has more longevity than a normal cd. You have the big album artwork and the insert with the lyric sheet and it's a bit more special than a cd. It's more of an event when you put the vinyl on, and you lay down in your room staring at the sleeve artwork, etc.
Joined: 10 Jun 2005 | Posts: 192 | Location: Castle Rock, CO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

I love vinyls.

Currently i have an addiction, and have bought about 6 in the past two weeks. Shocked

I really want At War With the Mystics... but that's not been in HMV for a long time. Maybe also Tak... (ditto with the HMV)

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

It would be fun, but I kind of hope they save the money for now.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
drenchedecent
Sea Post King

patrock wrote:

Why vinyl is better than a CD:

1. Vinyl lasts longer. CDs decompose over time (even if cared for perfectly), but if vinyl is stored correctly it will last FOREVER. In 30 (or so) years your CDs won't even work anymore.

2. Vinyl records grow in value, CDs depreciate in value. Every CD you own will be worth nothing in 10 years. Might be worth something to you, but you won't be able to sell it. Any vinyl record made post-1990 is worth more now than it was when it was pressed. All of Sunny Day Real Estate's albums (90s) are worth $40 or so each. Jimmy Eat World- Clarity (1999) is worth $60-$100. Compare that to the CDs that are worth nothing. Vinyl is pressed in such limited quantities now, it all goes up in value. So later in life if you need the money, or decide you don't want your record collection, you could sell it all and make a lot of money if you own vinyl. If all you have are CDs and mp3s, your music collection is worth nothing. (This is really hard for me to say, because I own 600+ CDs and only 150 or so vinyl records.)

3. Almost all vinyl records you buy online come with free mp3 downloads of the album. Most everyone listens to digitial music anyway, and you can burn a CD from the mp3s anyway. I listen to music in three ways: on my computer, on my iPod (which connects to my car stereo), and on a turntable.

4. Larger format artwork looks amazing for vinyl records, very nice to display.

These are just the reasons off the top of my head, I am sure there are more. Stop buying CDs, and buy Vinyl!

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

drenchedecent wrote:
patrock wrote:

1. Vinyl lasts longer. CDs decompose over time (even if cared for perfectly), but if vinyl is stored correctly it will last FOREVER. In 30 (or so) years your CDs won't even work anymore.

CDs won't work in 30 years because they'll be replaced by a new kind of media. Vinyl already has, but still gets bought by audiophiles and people who like novelty items. A lot of young whippersnappers who gobble up thrift store LPs these days don't even have anything to play them on. Also, after about four listens the needle wears down the grooves and changes the audio quality, which is what results in that "charming" muffled quality to older albums, so no matter how well you store it, when you play the LP you're also slowly destroying it.

CDs are also more cost effective for artists because back when vinyl was the only way to go, part of the cost artists would have to recoup was for broken merchandise. LPs have a habit of shattering in transit when tapes and CDs will not, which is one reason they went out of style and heavy circulation.

drenchedecent wrote:
2. Vinyl records grow in value, CDs depreciate in value. Every CD you own will be worth nothing in 10 years. Might be worth something to you, but you won't be able to sell it. Any vinyl record made post-1990 is worth more now than it was when it was pressed. All of Sunny Day Real Estate's albums (90s) are worth $40 or so each. Jimmy Eat World- Clarity (1999) is worth $60-$100. Compare that to the CDs that are worth nothing. Vinyl is pressed in such limited quantities now, it all goes up in value. So later in life if you need the money, or decide you don't want your record collection, you could sell it all and make a lot of money if you own vinyl. If all you have are CDs and mp3s, your music collection is worth nothing. (This is really hard for me to say, because I own 600+ CDs and only 150 or so vinyl records.)

CDs pressed in limited quantities end up being collector's items too. A copy of an independently-released album by Brandi Carlile just sold on eBay for upwards of $150. I think you're overestimating the value of "limited run" LPs... Maybe if they're in absolute perfect condition you can get that kind of money for them, but I highly doubt my copy of Brandi Carlile's The Story will be worth much more than what I bought it for in ten years.

drenchedecent wrote:
3. Almost all vinyl records you buy online come with free mp3 downloads of the album. Most everyone listens to digitial music anyway, and you can burn a CD from the mp3s anyway. I listen to music in three ways: on my computer, on my iPod (which connects to my car stereo), and on a turntable.

None of the vinyl I've bought online came with digital downloads, and that includes Room Noises. I wish they did. Of course, if I want a digital copy of something I've already bought, I'll just go torrent it, or maybe get one of those thingies that hooks up to a turntable and plugs in a USB port so I can rip the songs myself.

Don't get me wrong--I love vinyl and buy it whenever possible. One of the best things about it is that it can't be loaded up with DRM and all the other "security" measures labels try to put on CDs these days. I guess they probably figure that so few people have turntables now the album in question is probably not going to get leaked from the LP. It's still a relic from a different age, when you couldn't skip tracks so every song had to be worth listening to. A lot of what you've said about quality and timelessness doesn't outweigh the fact that this is a fragile, archaic, and rather expensive way to hear music. For the vast majority of the population with a ton of perfectly good CDs in their collection, there's no good reason to ditch them all and switch to vinyl.

Or maybe I just want my local used record store to be well-stocked and shopper-free when I go in. Wink

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
crazeemunkeyz
Laughing Citizen

patrock wrote:

Becuz having vinyls is so teh coolz. Rolling Eyes
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
drenchedecent wrote:
patrock wrote:

CDs won't work in 30 years because they'll be replaced by a new kind of media. Vinyl already has, but still gets bought by audiophiles and people who like novelty items. A lot of young whippersnappers who gobble up thrift store LPs these days don't even have anything to play them on. Also, after about four listens the needle wears down the grooves and changes the audio quality, which is what results in that "charming" muffled quality to older albums, so no matter how well you store it, when you play the LP you're also slowly destroying it.

CDs are also more cost effective for artists because back when vinyl was the only way to go, part of the cost artists would have to recoup was for broken merchandise. LPs have a habit of shattering in transit when tapes and CDs will not, which is one reason they went out of style and heavy circulation.

drenchedecent wrote:

CDs pressed in limited quantities end up being collector's items too. A copy of an independently-released album by Brandi Carlile just sold on eBay for upwards of $150. I think you're overestimating the value of "limited run" LPs... Maybe if they're in absolute perfect condition you can get that kind of money for them, but I highly doubt my copy of Brandi Carlile's The Story will be worth much more than what I bought it for in ten years.

drenchedecent wrote:

None of the vinyl I've bought online came with digital downloads, and that includes Room Noises. I wish they did. Of course, if I want a digital copy of something I've already bought, I'll just go torrent it, or maybe get one of those thingies that hooks up to a turntable and plugs in a USB port so I can rip the songs myself.

Don't get me wrong--I love vinyl and buy it whenever possible. One of the best things about it is that it can't be loaded up with DRM and all the other "security" measures labels try to put on CDs these days. I guess they probably figure that so few people have turntables now the album in question is probably not going to get leaked from the LP. It's still a relic from a different age, when you couldn't skip tracks so every song had to be worth listening to. A lot of what you've said about quality and timelessness doesn't outweigh the fact that this is a fragile, archaic, and rather expensive way to hear music. For the vast majority of the population with a ton of perfectly good CDs in their collection, there's no good reason to ditch them all and switch to vinyl.

Or maybe I just want my local used record store to be well-stocked and shopper-free when I go in. Wink

admit it: we're both neanderthals.

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Vinyl sounds a little better but I'll take the slightly tinny artificial sound of cd's over the annoyances of vinyl. Crackle pop fizz. That used to drive me nuts, that and the constantly checking speed calibration because I could detect slight pitch changes. "What the.. where'd that scratch come from?!" "I buy a new cartridge and now it skips on this song?! Dammit!" Disc cleaner, anti-static wipes, cats jumping on turn-table.. It was giving me OCD. Yeah I don't like vinyl.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

but teh warmth...

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
negatiivethree
Golly, Poster

but vinyl is so freakin fun! i throw on disney's mickey mouse disco and dance to macho duck, baby! it's also significant when dancing. i can slow dance with my other to bing crosby and it'd just be odd to do that with a cd. and the most fun comes from being able to buy used LPs from garage sales and junk. there's never any fear in taking chances because you're only spending a few cents. maybe it's not for everyone, i don't know, but i love it.