Laughing City
Girlylikepixieflamethrow
Golly, Poster

While I'm ecstatic that Eisley is going places and has a new record out, I can't help but feel that Combinations needs something more, not necessarily more songs but more to the songs. I feel like it doesn't measure up to Room Noises. That sounds harsher than I intend it to... (bands grow and change, with time, yes, but I feel like some strength/spirit is lacking in this record) and I know that as a longtime fan of their music, I've probably built up a lot of expectations for their new music. I don't know. I just didn't immediately fall in rapture with Combinations like I did with Marvelous Things and Room Noises, all their earlier music, in general.

Don't hate me for being critical... I know I'm critical/expectational (high hopes, etc.). I'm planning on Combinations growing on me... so by tomorrow, I could be totally different.

It probably would've helped if the CD/DVD would've been available today, somewhere. BestBuy was a no-go. Target only had 2 copies of the 9.99, so I got the standard version. I'd ordered the w/DVD about a week ago at Barnes and Noble and it got doinked up in the warehouse...

I'm also upset with myself for feeling fussy and complaining...

I hope Combinations does good, all that said.

drenchedecent
Sea Post King

I have had the complete opposite reaction. "Combinations" is tons better than "Room Noises", period. "Room Noises" actually seems really weak to me now.

"Combinations " is more mature, more diverse, more finished. The lyrics are better, all of the girls voices sound tons better. Parts of "Room Noises" I actually find boring now and very repetitive. "Combinations" mixes things up so much it keeps me excited throughout. I could go on and on, but it will all point to the same conclusion: "Room Noises" was good, but "Combinations" is a masterpiece.

Girlylikepixieflamethrow
Golly, Poster

drenchedecent wrote:
I have had the complete opposite reaction. "Combinations" is tons better than "Room Noises", period. "Room Noises" actually seems really weak to me now.

"Combinations " is more mature, more diverse, more finished. The lyrics are better, all of the girls voices sound tons better. Parts of "Room Noises" I actually find boring now and very repetitive. "Combinations" mixes things up so much it keeps me excited throughout. I could go on and on, but it will all point to the same conclusion: "Room Noises" was good, but "Combinations" is a masterpiece.

I love Eisley, don't get me wrong, I just feel that some of the vocals could've been stronger... I feel like Combinations pales in comparison to their earlier music... (I'll come around in about a week, I'll be loving it).

Maybe I'm just aggravated that there were no surprises (after listening to the new songs on their myspace... silly me...) Just bah-humbug about the whole thing.

I think Stacy sounds amazing. I'm glad she got to "do more" this time around...

madcat2089
Sea Post King

Girlylikepixieflamethrow wrote:
While I'm ecstatic that Eisley is going places and has a new record out, I can't help but feel that Combinations needs something more, not necessarily more songs but more to the songs. I feel like it doesn't measure up to Room Noises. That sounds harsher than I intend it to... (bands grow and change, with time, yes, but I feel like some strength/spirit is lacking in this record) and I know that as a longtime fan of their music, I've probably built up a lot of expectations for their new music. I don't know. I just didn't immediately fall in rapture with Combinations like I did with Marvelous Things and Room Noises, all their earlier music, in general.

Don't hate me for being critical... I know I'm critical/expectational (high hopes, etc.). I'm planning on Combinations growing on me... so by tomorrow, I could be totally different.

It probably would've helped if the CD/DVD would've been available today, somewhere. BestBuy was a no-go. Target only had 2 copies of the 9.99, so I got the standard version. I'd ordered the w/DVD about a week ago at Barnes and Noble and it got doinked up in the warehouse...

we're in the same boat.
InMyRock
Sea Post King

I'd ordered the w/DVD about a week ago at Barnes and Noble and it got doinked up in the warehouse...

Same here. That's the last time I preorder something from them... Mad I'm going to look around today and if I see the cd/dvd I'll buy it and cancel my order at B&N.

As far as Combinations goes, I love what I've heard on myspace so far! And I really can't compare it to Room Noises. They're just two completely different records in my opinion. Both good in their own different ways. Very Happy
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

i was just telling my wife that gone were the days of eisley songs about dragons and fantasy, the original reason that i got into them.

but combinations is a great album. its a grown up album.
stacy is not 14 anymore singing marvelous things.
she is 18 singing come clean.

sherri is married now and chauntelle is engaged.

this is a record that reflects their age. and i love it.

bands, like people, have to grow up.
imagine if every beatles album was like please please me.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
pazatronix!
Lost at Forum

mr pine wrote:
i was just telling my wife that gone were the days of eisley songs about dragons and fantasy, the original reason that i got into them.

but combinations is a great album. its a grown up album.
stacy is not 14 anymore singing marvelous things.
she is 18 singing come clean.

sherri is married now and chauntelle is engaged.

this is a record that reflects their age. and i love it.

bands, like people, have to grow up.
imagine if every beatles album was like please please me.

i love how you worded that. Smile i feel the same way. Love
fragileaswelie
Sea Post King

i love how each track (for me) is like "oh i love this one it has that cool vocal"

i like combinations a lot.
i'm just afraid to over-play it. I've only listened to it once all the way through.

Back in the day Eisley commented on my myspace with the following:
'Somebody is sure you love
"the cat's pajama's".

thanks for everything no
matter what that means Smile'

@fragileaswelie
Girlylikepixieflamethrow
Golly, Poster

madcat2089 wrote:

we're in the same boat.

Thank you... I hate to seem displeased or whatever, but yesterday I was just not as happy with things pertaining to Combinations.