Laughing City
Admiral79
Lost at Forum

This day in age you hear music everywhere, especially in commercials. Mika's "Love Today" was used by Verizon, Keane allowed Victoria's Secret to use "Somewhere Only We Know" and of course was hocking iPods with "Vertigo."

Now I know some bands wouldn't dare "sell-out" by allowing the meaning of their music to be contorted to meet some ad executive's idea of the product. It is well known that Coldplay turned down offer after offer for "Yellow" and some of their other songs. However, it’s easy to say no when you're already rich and famous. Something tells me Eisley would be willing to offer up their songs if it was done tastefully.

So my question is what songs from "Combinations" do you think would be good in commercials and for what products? Here are some ideas I had, feel free to post your own suggestions.

Invasion: Of course it would have been perfect for the movie "The Invasion" or any other sci-fi type of product. However, they could also jump back into the studio and re-record the lyrics to be "oooh something so right, I can feel it inside, it’s something so right." Those lyrics could sell anything! You might think that's ridiculous, but Black Eyed Peas changed the lyrics to "Let's get retarded" from that to "let's get it started" so anything is possible.

Taking Control: Again we may have to alter the lyrics a little. If the lyrics were "we've been taking control of our lives, we've been making us go" that screams women empowerment and could be used for a lot of products. Here I'm thinking of some sort of feminine hygiene item.

Go Away: Possibly used for some type of medicine. I can imagine singing "go away, go away leave me on my own" to my headaches or stomach ailment.

I Could Be There For You: What romantic lyrics, I see them used for an elegant line of perfume.

Come Clean: Easily the most marketable of the songs. Could be used for a myriad of cleaning products. However, with its beauty I think it goes perfect for a ladies soap like Dove. "Let's give it a try, let's keep it the truth, and come clean all around me."

A Sight To Behold: A really like the intensity of this song and is another that could be used to show "female empowerment" as they "break down the walls and find how to live." I'm thinking this would be good for a Jean’s commercial or for promoting diamond jewelry.

Combinations: Another love song. Could be used for lots of stuff. However I'm thinking with its Richard Gibbs instrumental workings it would be good for some herbal drink with ginseng.
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

alot of adverts have sngs that really just fit musically... over here... the obvious exception being the one which goes "blah blah blah..."

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

When I think Eisley selling out, I think Starbucks or some sweetened cereal. Laughing Someone come up with the song connection for me. I don't feel like it. Smile But seriously, they need to have a hit first before anyone will want the song in their commercial.
Admiral79
Lost at Forum

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
When I think Eisley selling out, I think Starbucks or some sweetened cereal. Laughing Someone come up with the song connection for me. I don't feel like it. Smile But seriously, they need to have a hit first before anyone will want the song in their commercial.

Obviously Starbucks is the best product for Eisley to be paired with, their loyalty to Starbucks would make them great ambassadors.

I disagree with you about needing to have a hit before they have a song in a commercial though. A lot of commercials have songs that aren't big hits but "speak" to the product. A great song knows no transcends obscurity.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

This thread is made of win. Laughing

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

The Winter Song. To sell Hallmark Christmas cards. Would probably start the song from Chimney smoke billowing ... and end at the last la la la la... Not from Combinations, but whatever.
Admiral79
Lost at Forum

The Winter Song. To sell Hallmark Christmas cards. Would probably start the song from Chimney smoke billowing ... and end at the last la la la la... Not from Combinations, but whatever.

That's good, I like it!
My Blackened Crown
Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:

I concur. Even epic win.

Too bad I can't think of any commercials for the songs.
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Marsh King's Daughter -- Disney World commercial. Wink
oliez
Vintage Newbie

Kansas City is the home of Halmark and my Typography teacher designs cards for them and so I have an in. I'll see what I can do....not really.
norad
Vintage Newbie

oliez wrote:

Kansas City is the home of Halmark and my Typography teacher designs cards for them and so I have an in. I'll see what I can do....not really.

The factory in Lawrence has an ugly Jayhawk in front.
Admiral79
Lost at Forum

My Blackened Crown wrote:
Saellys wrote:

I concur. Even epic win.

Too bad I can't think of any commercials for the songs.

Wow, I feel so honored. Very Happy

...you know, they should have made "Many Funerals" even darker and more solemn, it would have been perfect for all those funeral home commercials! Razz
e3wah
Sea Post King

Haha, oh man- funeral home commercials?

"And if you die today, we'll upgrade your coffin and throw in a bouquet of flowers at no charge!"

Seriously though, this is an interesting thread. Changing the lyrics for feminine hygene products just might make me sick, but I don't think that the whole idea is "below them" if it was the right fit. I'm not even sure if starbucks HAS commercials (I've never heard any now that I think of it, but then again I live in DD territory) but they would certainly be a good fit for them.

"Taking control" could be used unaltered to reinforce any service who's selling point is ease of use or less hassle/commitment.
"I could be there for you" could be used for any sort of "reaching out" commercials, like a collect call or cards.

I kinda feel weird even thinking about it, which is strange for me as I am one of the most capitalistic people you could probably ever meet. But Eisley's stuff is so special that it would REALLY have to fit and be a good company for me to be comfortable with it (and I assume that's how the band feels, as well).

"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd."
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

Like the Actors would be good to promote The Hills, or another one of those shows.

This reminds me of Of Montreal doing the "Outback" commercial.
"let's go outback tonight..."

Invasion would really work for any scary movie.
Joined: 31 May 2004 | Posts: 2018 | Location: Sacramento, CA
norad
Vintage Newbie

cynlovescandy wrote:
Like the Actors would be good to promote The Hills, or another one of those shows.

"When we fall down our morals do the same!!". That would actually be very fitting for the show as well as an insult the the cast. Very Happy