Laughing City
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

... as an actual, for-sale concert DVD.

Don't get me wrong, the performance is fine. What bothers me is the camera work and the awful, awful lighting. Did any of the guys up front have Steadicams? The long shots and the moving footage on the crane-cam were nice, great timing and all, but all the fancy zoom crap and jerky motion down just screamed "college video production interns". And I'm sure if it had actually been turned into a DVD, the contrast would have been fixed, but this version is this horrible mauve color where it should be black. Glech!

Anyway, that's my rant. I'm very glad to have the footage as bonus material, and I hope the label sees fit to give a live DVD another go with some professionals this time around. The last thing we want is shoddy video quality making the band look bad. Sad

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
norad
Vintage Newbie

I still haven't watched that DVD.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Yeah, the video footage is not the best, but I enjoy the audio quite a bit. I know some people were disappointed with the DVD, but I was very pleased.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
treetops12
Vintage Newbie

I was going to start a thread similar to this. I agree about the zooming and the jerky motions... drove me crazy! The camera guys up front seemed like they had A.D.D. and couldn't hold still. Also, the angles change literally every second. And I wish they'd zoomed in on Chauntelle's parts more, but they were too busy switching from Sherri to Stacy every 2 seconds that they missed a lot of good parts.

I didn't mean to complain that much, but I had to get that off my chest. Laughing I love having it and the audio is great... I just hope they get some more professional people to film them in the future. Maybe on the Mute Math tour? That'd be cool.

oliez
Vintage Newbie

This is the kind of lighting that Boyd was talking about a while back when he made that lighting video. It's bad. It could have/would have been great.
Last edited by oliez on Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

I was super disappointed by the Live in Chicago DVD of one of Jeff Buckley's shows. Really flat sound, boring lighting, and just all around meh. Anyway, this thread reminded me of that.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
blor
Sea Post King

treetops12 wrote:
Also, the angles change literally every second. And I wish they'd zoomed in on Chauntelle's parts more, but they were too busy switching from Sherri to Stacy every 2 seconds that they missed a lot of good parts.

yeah, I hated that...it's like be still for a bit will ya

Laughing Citizen

Yeah, TERRIBLE camera jerking......ugh.
But looked like a great show. Mister Pine opening is fun, Just Like We Do was beautiful, and Trolley Wood was a really cute ending.
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Looks like they had to leave out The Escaping Song because the camera work on that one was crazy. It may have been the song they used to figure out and focus their shots. Too bad it was too messed up to use on the dvd, it's my favorite song.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
starnothing
Laughing Citizen

Well, I'm pretty sure the setlist was much longer than just Escaping Song added. Looks like they took out a bunch of songs.
oliez
Vintage Newbie

starnothing wrote:
Well, I'm pretty sure the setlist was much longer than just Escaping Song added. Looks like they took out a bunch of songs.

they took out:

escaping song
my lovely
telescope eyes
taking control
i wasn't prepared
i could be there for you
sunfeet (or some other random song (I'm just going from my setlist (they played Vintage People at another show I went to from this tour here)))
invasion
plenty of paper
i feel good
many funerals
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Yeah, I've seen The Escaping Song footage on YouTube and the camera work is just nuts, the others I dunno.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
Saturnine67
Sea Post King

Nowhere Man wrote:
Looks like they had to leave out The Escaping Song because the camera work on that one was crazy. It may have been the song they used to figure out and focus their shots. Too bad it was too messed up to use on the dvd, it's my favorite song.

WHAT>!>!>!?!?!?! They left it out!?!?!

David = Beloved, Roy = King, Marsh = Marsh

So I am the Beloved King of the Marsh.
The Marsh King!!

p.s. check out my band if you're bored
www.myspace.com/celestialmischiefband
Joined: 27 Oct 2005 | Posts: 155 | Location: Battle Creek, MI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
oliez
Vintage Newbie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoufMsohfG8

escaping song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gszxkJOj-5c

I wasn't prepared
Saturnine67
Sea Post King

then what songs DO they have?

David = Beloved, Roy = King, Marsh = Marsh

So I am the Beloved King of the Marsh.
The Marsh King!!

p.s. check out my band if you're bored
www.myspace.com/celestialmischiefband
Joined: 27 Oct 2005 | Posts: 155 | Location: Battle Creek, MI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger