Laughing City
seethelight
Sea Post King

what are your fave moments or parts in combinations?
be it instrumentations, chorus, vocals, lyrics...
(ignore my usage of fave)

anyway, there are so many for me.

i love the shimmering harp in "combinations". it adds such a different sound to the song. it's otherworldly.

and i love the break, break down that cuts those guitars facing off in "many funerals", not to mention the dark lyrics.

the chorus in "taking control", BEST SONG EVAAAAAAAAAR! lulz i just love when it changes to you, you've been making a joke of our lives.
anyway, is taking control about something political or something. because it would be really great if it was indeed anti-bush or whatever. although i'd prefer it to be about a relationship with someone who's a massive moron.

also love the drum intro to "i could be there for you" and the drums in "sight to behold".
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

seethelight wrote:

the chorus in "taking control", BEST SONG EVAAAAAAAAAR! lulz i just love when it changes to you, you've been making a joke of our lives.
anyway, is taking control about something political or something. because it would be really great if it was indeed anti-bush or whatever. although i'd prefer it to be about a relationship with someone who's a massive moron..

Laughing
Funny you should say that: when I read through the lyrics, i read it as an anti-communist song.

i don't know what my favourite moments of Combinations are. Obviously, the wail in Invasion that comes just before the second chorus. Garron's bass in Go Away is very swell, too.

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
Absent Minded256
Sea Post King

i love the end of "Many Funerals" when Sherri sings "How could you have left us here? You had friends, You had us. Goodbyeee.....break break down.." It really gives me chills.

And I love all of Stacy's vocals on Come Clean. And that marxophone Very Happy
and that's all I can think of for now

jamiga
Vintage Newbie

Invasion -- the part where Stacy sings "You don't have to know the truth, if you believe it, I believe it too"

Taking Control -- the part where Stacy sings "I can't be the one to finally pull you out again.. out again..."

Go Away -- the part where they sing "I am holding you" together.

ICBTFY -- Chauntelles part, of course.

Come Clean -- when Stacy sings "listen to me, you've pulled me apart, and I know it wasn't you, cause you were not there, and why do you feel sorry?"

Ten Cent Blues -- when Stacy sings "In a way, its making crazy, in the sense that its making me stronger, a likely chance, and its probably proven, in the end we will all walk away..."

A Sight to Behold -- the entire song.

Combinations -- when Stacy sings "All the time, darling now, oh all the time, now we'll have to make it up well make it up oh all the days... etc"

If You're Wondering -- when Sherri sings "I thought that I had all that I wanted, but boy, was I wrong, as were you..."

Disclaimer: I'm tired and I just wrote that really fast, so it probably has numerous errors and such. Sorry.

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

mad_sam_purple'ead wrote:
seethelight wrote:

anyway, is taking control about something political or something. because it would be really great if it was indeed anti-bush or whatever. although i'd prefer it to be about a relationship with someone who's a massive moron..

Laughing
Funny you should say that: when I read through the lyrics, i read it as an anti-communist song.

Ha. I don't think they're too into politics in their music at the moment ...

But just a few little things that make me love the album:

- The bass on the entire album. So good!
- The chorus of Invasion
- The time changes in Many Funerals
- The last half of Taking Control
- The piano at the beginning of Go Away. Simple, but that last note tickles my ears
- Chauntelle's part in ICBTFY
- The part in Come Clean where it's just Stacy and the mandolin (?)
- The organ in Ten Cent Blues (and lyrics)
- The drums in Sight To Behold
- The vocal chord in said song
- The chorus in Combinations
- The bass in it, too
- The intro to If You're Wondering (possibly my favorite Eisley intro ever)

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
vintage_person
Sea Post King

jamiga wrote:
Invasion -- the part where Stacy sings "You don't have to know the truth, if you believe it, I believe it too"

Yep, I love that line too. Reminds me of a line in a Nine Inch Nails' song about faithfully believing in something regardless of it being truth.

In Taking Control during the second verse: "When we get down, how would we know if we'll get up again, get up again". In that bolded "again", Stacy does a chord change that has me laughing each time I hear it. It sounds extremely cute.

The ending of Many Funerals with the chorus riff going and the WALL OF VOCALS building up each measure piercing my mind. It's absolutely amazing.

There's more but I can't really think right now. I have KRBE blaring in my ears at work, and I have no control over the music. Mad

ghost in the snow
Golly, Poster

Chauntelle's part in I Could be There for You, hands down.
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
mad_sam_purple'ead wrote:
seethelight wrote:

Laughing

Ha. I don't think they're too into politics in their music at the moment ...

true...

But i chose to read it that way! Laughing

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

Yeah, pretty much this is my review again but oh well: Laughing

Many Funerals - The time changes in the song. And the break down with the "break down"s at the end. Wink The over lapping vocals just builds so nicely.

Invasion - Second chorus, second time through where Stacy's "you's" are slightly louder. It was just something I noticed. Also the bridge...

Taking Control - LOVE the bridge to the end. Or maybe the second chorus to the end. The piano's simple but awesome.

Go Away - Echo/ back and forth part (I am holding you). Bass line in the song.

ICBTFY - The hypnotic guitar parts, especially the instrumental part right after the first chorus. It's just three notes over and over, but it fades in and out, and meshes with the guitar part, it sounds very dreamy and cool. I also like the time changes.

Come Clean - The rhythm in the verses.

Ten Cent Blues - I'm not a "twang" person, but the lead guitar is awesome in there. Also the vocals throughout; their strength is how their vocals compliment each other, but its cool to hear them matching their styles in this song. Also, the parts where the music drops out, and the "Shaking hands on a doormat" to the end

A Sight to Behold - How Stacy's vocals seem almost like a whisper during the verse and Sherri and Stacy together during the chorus/lead-in to the choruses.

Combinations - Rhythm of the verses, and the end of the song when Chauntelle's counter melody and trumpet comes in.

If You're Wondering - Virtually every part of the song. From the harmonies, to that echoing keyboard note between the first chorus and the second verse, to the strings. Lovely song.
sukieinthe_g
Golly, Poster

Off the top of my head... I love hearing Stacy's "honey" right before the last few of lines in Go Away. Everytime I hear it, I'm like "Yeah! Go Stacy!"

Also, the first few lines Sherri sings in Combinations. I don't think I've heard her sing like that before. It's so beautiful and eerie.

olimario
Laughing Citizen

The second verse in Combinations where it sounds Japanese.
oliez
Vintage Newbie

that vocal chord in the bridge of A Sight to Behold gives me chills every time I hear it.

Eisley is a great "bridge band" and every single bridge are major highlights in most of the tracks.
Dat
Golly, Poster

In Ten Cent Blues:

"But I don't care if I'm granted for all these things
If I were one among this crowd
Would you call that defeat?"

Joined: 15 Jun 2005 | Posts: 578 | Location: San Francisco, CA
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

2:23 in A Sight To Behold.

i'm gonna marry the mars volta.
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 8260 | Location: new hampshire
DesireeSallee
Sea Post King

oliez wrote:
that vocal chord in the bridge of A Sight to Behold gives me chills every time I hear it.

yum.

Visit my "Talk Show"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger