Laughing City
norad
Vintage Newbie

Whoever took those group photo needs to be punched but the interview is good. The last thing Garron says it the best.

http://www.nbc5i.com/dfwscene/13900397/detail.html

Eisley Chats About New Album, Life On The Road
Frank Heinz, Managing Editor

POSTED: 1:45 pm CDT August 15, 2007
DALLAS -- Texas quintet Eisley played Dallas' House of Blues on Tuesday night and took a few minutes before their show to talk with NBC 5 about the release of their second album, "Combinations," playing in front of the home crowd and life on the road.

What is it like to play at home in front of so many friends and family?

Stacy DuPree: It's crazy and it's fun.

Weston DuPree: We have family in a lot of areas in Texas -- like Houston, Dallas and Austin.

Does it make you nervous at all to play in front of friends and family?

Chauntelle DuPree: No, it's more comfortable.

Sherri DuPree: It's more enjoyable.

How was the summer tour with The Fray?

Sherri: It was really cool. They were so sweet and it was so fun.

Chauntelle: We had a great time because -- we got spoiled -- they had catering. They were so nice and their crew members were so nice to us so we were like "this is heaven."

You all have toured with Coldplay, Switchfoot, Snow Patrol and New Found Glory among others. Who else would you all like to tour with?

Weston: Mew, Bjork, Cashmere.

Sherri, Chauntelle: Cashmere.

Bjork could be fun

Sherri: Yeah, but she probably only picks really weird, unique artists.

Stacy, you recently were able to interview Stevie Nicks for Foam. What was that experience like?

Stacy: It was amazing. She was so nice to me. She was like -- just gave me a lot of insight, I think, and she was very funny -- just really cool.

Are there any other artists that you all would like to interview?

Garron DuPree: Paul McCartney.

Sherri: Bjork! My husband got to interview Bjork on the phone a few years ago. I'm a little jealous.

So on the new album you all worked with only one producer, Richard Gibbs, as opposed to several on the first album. How did that change the process?

Garron: Well, the fact that there was one person made it a lot faster.

Sherri: It was much more relaxing.

Weston: This record took two months to record, and the last record took about four months, maybe.

Stacy: This was cool -- his studio is right in the back of his house and he lives right next to the ocean so it was just like so relaxing. It was a good environment for us to be in.

Weston: And we got to play on our own gear, I just realized that. On the first record, we were in different studios all the time and with new producers. This time we got to use our own gear.

So you think it ended up being a little more cohesive?

Sherri: Oh definitely. It's night and day. I mean, just listening to it, if I didn't know that we recorded it with five producers and in three different studios, or whatever, I might not notice. But definitely, the fact that we sat down and wrote the whole album within a few months too, kind of made it more cohesive.

Was it hard to cut the album down to 10 tracks?

Sherri: It wasn't too hard. Well, there were a couple of tough ones, but we kind of know which songs are our best songs.

Stacy: It was way easier than the last time.

Chauntelle: The last record -- because there was such a handful of producers, everyone wanted certain producers [on the record] so this one was a little easier.

Any future for the songs that didn't make the album?

Sherri: Some of the songs that we worked on that we didn't get to finish out in time, we might, the exceptional ones, work on again.

Weston: They might be better for an EP though, because they aren't as broad as they need to be.

Sherri: They are a little weird.

With "Room Noises" being released in 2005, do you think it will be another two years before you release your third album?

Sherri: Probably not as long. This last one we were going to go into the studio and decided to do another headline tour. So things were getting backed up.

Garron: That, and labels are just not going for long record cycles anymore. I am sure it will end up being shorter.

You all have a pretty popular MySpace page. Are you all actively involved in what is published on that page ... or do you read comments posted on it?

Weston: He [Boyd Dupree -- father of the siblings and uncle to Garron] does like all the stuff on the Web site and all of our album artwork. He has help from some people for different aspects of it, but a lot of the design he does. But all of the weird pictures and stuff Sherri draws.

Sherri: He updates it and stuff, but we get on there and read things.

Stacy: I didn't read any comments on the new album because I get really paranoid. But yeah, I've been on there and read my dad's journals and stuff like that.

In the past, you all played a lot in Deep Ellum.

Sherri: Yeah, before it disappeared.

That is exactly where I was going with this. What do you all think of all the changes taking place with venues closing down, etc.?

Sherri: It's sad. That is where we first started.

Chauntelle: It feels really weird to me because, and I don't want this to sound arrogant, but I don't look at us as just another band. We are family and really young and having that as our scene it feels weird having that destroyed. It's like, "Ah, man, we don't even have a scene."

Sherri: The first club we played was the Curtain Club, and then Trees and Gypsy Tea Room.

Weston: It started getting weird because other markets like L.A. are bigger than our home market. It's pretty sad. In Deep Ellum, people used to come to shows because it was just a cool place to see shows even if they didn't really know much about the band.

Chauntelle: We could have played Austin, but if you are a band from Tyler like we were -- that was five hours away so we hardly ever played there.

What would you all be doing if you were not in a band?

Garron: Working at Wal-Mart.

Sherri: I don't know. Something I really like that I don't really have time for is illustration and writing. I know that is a typical, everyone might say that kind of thing ... but I would like to do that.

Stacy: I have no clue.

Weston: As a hobby, I am really into tae kwon do so I might be doing that all day long. Only you can't make money in that unless you are in instructor so...I would like to still be in music if not in the band but I am not really good enough to be a studio drummer. I guess technically I am a studio drummer -- but not a session drummer.

Sherri: Well, if you weren't in a band, maybe you would have time to practice so you could do that.

Weston: Ahh true, that's true. I would probably be with Garron at Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart or Target.

Garron: Yeah, I do like Target better.

So, the new album is quite different from your first release. Obviously things like marriage and getting older have provided new material for your music. What else has contributed to the evolution?

Stacy: I think the main thing that has changed in the sound is that we are so much older than we were when we wrote the songs for the first album. We were 14 or 15.

Sherri: It's been a long time since we got to write and record since we were touring so much. We had a lot of experiences [touring] and just life in general.

Were you nervous about beginning the writing process for the new album?

Sherri: We got off tour and knew we had a schedule and didn't have time to worry about it too much.

Weston: I was nervous about recording because we had been touring so much that we never got to practice. We get to play every night but that is really playing the same thing over again so I was like, 'Crap, I am going to suck on this record.'

Stacy: Yeah, we barely knew the songs going into it [the studio].

Sherri: We hadn't played them really. We knew how we wanted them to be in the end.

What are your favorite songs to perform live off new album?

Weston: "I Could Be There For You" or "Taking Control."

Garron: I like "I Could Be There For You" too because I don't have to play on it ... just kidding.

Sherri: I like that too and "Come Clean" and "Many Funerals."

Weston: "Many Funerals" stresses me out because I can never figure out when to come in.

Garron: All right, we have played that song for almost two years now, and he still cannot figure it out. There is a weird measure there and sometimes it's shorter and sometimes it's longer.

Weston: Well, we changed it a couple of times ... so I go back in time and pick the wrong time to come in.

Sherri: I didn't know you were having flashbacks back there.

So with a busy tour schedule coming up what do you all do for fun on the bus?

Garron: Anything possible.

Weston: We know how to make the best out of nothing, and you really get good at it.

Garron: I kind of enjoy it.

Chauntelle: I do, too. I take watercolors and drawing sketch pads. She [Sherri] sketches all the time. We read "Harry Potter."

Garron: The days go so fast. I can't even think of anything I do. But I'm not bored. But, I think, 'What do I do during the day?'

Sherri: Nothing.

Garron: Nothing. I can't tell you. I lie in my bunk and eat some chips. My computer broke so I don't have a computer.

Weston: I have a computer -- I don't even use it.

Stacy: I don't either, I talk on the phone.

Weston: Yeah, I talk on the phone sometimes.

Chauntelle: Well, I am trying to plan a wedding so I do get on the computer occasionally but ...

Sherri: But the Internet never works, and you get pissed.

Chauntelle: Yeah, the Internet never works, and I get mad.

So, were you all happy with the "Harry Potter" ending?

Garron: It was cool, except for Snape and Hagrid getting married.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

That was a surprisingly good interview. They asked a lot of questions that should have been obvious, but people haven't asked for some strange reason. Thanks for posting it! Smile

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Clark
Vintage Newbie

hah Cashmere
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
vintage_snowflake
Golly, Poster

Clark wrote:
hah Cashmere
Laughing
keltica
Golly, Poster

Very interesting interview!

I love the Garron/Weston's humour.

"Δῶς μοι πᾶ στῶ καὶ τὰν γᾶν κινάσω"

Joined: 11 Jun 2007 | Posts: 791 | Location: Ariccia, Rome - Italy
sukieinthe_g
Golly, Poster

patrock wrote:
Whoever took those group photo needs to be punched

No kidding.

blor
Sea Post King

love that interview....HILARIOUS
Lost at Forum

sukieinthe_g wrote:
patrock wrote:

No kidding.

wow. were those taken with a disposable?
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

pazatronix! wrote:
sukieinthe_g wrote:
patrock wrote:

No kidding.

wow. were those taken with a disposable?

Eh, it's TV news. The reporter probably took them, if they weren't screen grabs.

Girlylikepixieflamethrow
Golly, Poster

Yay-Chauntelle's planning her weddin'... hoopity hoopity hoo.

Yay-Sherri said PISSED, haha. I always get a kick out of that.

Yay-Stacy. Yeah.

I also like that they mentioned Bjork quite a bit... I know they liked Bjork but I wasn't sure how big on Bjork they still were/are. Yay-Bjork.

I thought the interviewer asked excellent questions. I even like the fuzzy pics.

RJ Mac
Sea Post King

I agree with keltica.

I love their senses of humor.

"Even when the rain falls
Even when the flood starts risin'
Even when the storm comes
I am washed by the water

Even when the earth crumbles under my feet
Even when the ones I love turn around and crucify me
I won't ever, ever let you down
Won't go, won't go, won't go as long as You're around me"
Joined: 15 Jul 2007 | Posts: 189 | Location: Sprint Car Capitol Of The World (Knoxville Raceway....we're the one!)
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

sorry but, "you all"? it's one band. singular. "you", please. sheesh.

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

mad_sam_purple'ead wrote:
sorry but, "you all"? it's one band. singular. "you", please. sheesh.

I think it's usually handled as a group instead of a singular in the U.S. I think I've noticed that ...

mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

i'm afraid it bugged me so much i only got half way through the interview. it was good, though. what i read of it...

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
OceanMachine
Lost at Forum

One of the better recent interviews.