Laughing City
Jessica
Sea Post King

And while that's definitely not a bad thing... it's just... I don't know; it doesn't seem like a great thing.

I mean, Conan? That's bloody fantastic! But Conan?... I think I have the "Eisley Greed" disease as explained in an older thread.

It's like we found them back when they were considered so obscure that someone would mention "Eisley!" and another person would be like "bless you".

Even though Invasion probably won't be on the Billboard Hot 100 next week, I feel like Eisley's gathering up so much steam and I'm proud of how good they're doing, but at the same time, I feel more childish than ever.

I guess I'm just afraid that they'll get so popular that they will no longer stand on level ground with us and share great journal entries and backyard tree-chopping action with us.

That they'll be so busy touring and signing new deals that they won't take the time (or have the time) to excitedly take photos of charming new items they decorate their house with or become so big that they no longer find Trix cereal amusing.

*Sigh* Not sure where I was going with this, but the name of the thread kind of captured it.

Sea Post King

You aren't the only one who feels this way.

But something tells me, if anyone can become huge rockstars and still stay grounded to their Trix eating Starbucks drinking picture taking journal posting ways, it's the Duprees.

Lost at Forum

Binary Dragon wrote:
You aren't the only one who feels this way.

But something tells me, if anyone can become huge rockstars and still stay grounded to their Trix eating Starbucks drinking picture taking journal posting ways, it's the Duprees.

yeah Very Happy
but i agree with the whole getting-popular thing.
it happens with everything i like.
rmlawrence
Vintage Newbie

I think you have very specific concerns that are valid, although I'm glad to see the band getting recognized for their efforts. The photos, blogs, videos, etc are definitely nice and I'd be sad to see them disappear as well.

One of the interesting aspects of this band is the connection with fans. I can't think of any other band I like that has this level of sharing. I'm not entirely sure why we're so interested in a post by Sherri or pictures from Boyd, but it's certainly a fascinating look into a world that's foreign to many of us.

I think we sometimes see bands as music makers and not always as real people. At the same time, many of us DO connect to their lyrics and themes because they express the ideas and feelings of a real person... ideas and feelings we can relate to but aren't always able to express ourselves. Maybe seeing musicians in a personal light can strengthen what the music expresses. For example, seeing the DuPrees as a close-knit, loving, artistic and quirky bunch aids in accepting their music as genuine.

Of course, this isn't going to be true for everybody. We all listen to music for different reasons and with different attitudes. But I imagine it's true for some.

Personally, I can't wholly explain my level of appreciation for Eisley. Before I discovered them... I didn't care for female vocalists and I never thought much of fanciful lyrics. I got lured by the harmonies, but I think it was the whole package (music, forum members, photos, Boyd's posts) that really sucked me in. Not to take anything away from the music... it IS great music. I wouldn't be here without that.

Or maybe I'm just overanalyzing.

When Ash and I saw the band on Conan, I commented to her, "It's funny how we're watching the band with such pride and anticipation... as if they're kids we know from down the street." I think all the photos and blogs and videos have helped create that feeling. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, ultimately. It seems a little bizarre when I try to think about it objectively. I mean... I don't know these people, I just like their music. Yet there I was, feeling near giddiness for them and their achievement. If it were JUST about the music, I imagine I'd be content with owning the CD and seeing them in concert. Why would being on Conan make any difference to me?

I don't know though. I think I've rambled too much.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

They will certainly continue being busy. But it's not like they haven't been busy the last few years, either. They work just as hard as any really popular band, so I don't think that's going to change too dramatically (at least I hope not, at least for Boyd's sake!), but I think they'll continue being themselves. There will likely be spells where they can't post journals much, but that's no different from now. I'm not sure how long they will be able to chill out from the side or back and watch shows. But let's face it, one time on Conan won't likely make them that popular.

My brain is not dedicated or awake enough at the moment (dealing with my older brother's computer issue, waking up) to type much more and make sense. Maybe soon. I've thought about this, too. I'm convinced they can remain in a very similar state as far as community interaction goes and still withstand a much larger fanbase.

Binary Dragon wrote:

Definitely.

Actually, one more thought: When it comes to just sharing journal entries and slices of life, I think they are going to be themselves no matter how big they get. So I can't imagine how even having 5 million fans would keep them from filming Weston goofing off or having favorite books and movies to talk about. I think we'll see that as long as they know there are loving fans who really enjoy it.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Girlylikepixieflamethrow
Golly, Poster

Yeah.
keltica
Golly, Poster

I don't believe that moment has come yet. The true test will be after the autumn/winter tour and especially when a hypothetical third album will come out: further confirmation.

I'm not sure whether Eisley's music can be universally appreciated.

On the other hand we're all concerned, but our ego should not stop them from paving the path to their dreams. The real Eisley will come out in moments like this. They don't need our guidance Laughing

"Δῶς μοι πᾶ στῶ καὶ τὰν γᾶν κινάσω"

Joined: 11 Jun 2007 | Posts: 791 | Location: Ariccia, Rome - Italy
JSL
Sea Post King

I think that Eisley will get bigger with Combinations but at the same time I don't think they're going to become a huge band just yet.

I think that they still have to get as much exposure as possible through TV, the press, and of course with touring. Is it true that they might be doing their first headlining tour next year? I hope they do a headlining tour soon since I'm anxious to see them live.

But the DuPrees seem pretty down to earth and hopefully even if they become one of the biggest bands in the world that won't change them much.
norad
Vintage Newbie

I wuv double postz. Smile

I don't really feel like the band at that popular and I haven't noticed/learned anything new about them outside of this website.
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

JSL wrote:
I think that Eisley will get bigger with Combinations but at the same time I don't think they're going to become a huge band just yet.

I think that they still have to get as much exposure as possible through TV, the press, and of course with touring. Is it true that they might be doing their first headlining tour next year? I hope they do a headlining tour soon since I'm anxious to see them live.

But the DuPrees seem pretty down to earth and hopefully even if they become one of the biggest bands in the world that won't change them much.

If I'm not mistaken, Eisley did their first national headlining tour in the summer of '05 (Summer Scenic Tour).

Personally, I don't think Kim would let them turn into douchebags. Wink

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
starnothing
Laughing Citizen

rmlawrence wrote:
I think you have very specific concerns that are valid, although I'm glad to see the band getting recognized for their efforts. The photos, blogs, videos, etc are definitely nice and I'd be sad to see them disappear as well.

One of the interesting aspects of this band is the connection with fans. I can't think of any other band I like that has this level of sharing. I'm not entirely sure why we're so interested in a post by Sherri or pictures from Boyd, but it's certainly a fascinating look into a world that's foreign to many of us.

I think we sometimes see bands as music makers and not always as real people. At the same time, many of us DO connect to their lyrics and themes because they express the ideas and feelings of a real person... ideas and feelings we can relate to but aren't always able to express ourselves. Maybe seeing musicians in a personal light can strengthen what the music expresses. For example, seeing the DuPrees as a close-knit, loving, artistic and quirky bunch aids in accepting their music as genuine.

Of course, this isn't going to be true for everybody. We all listen to music for different reasons and with different attitudes. But I imagine it's true for some.

Personally, I can't wholly explain my level of appreciation for Eisley. Before I discovered them... I didn't care for female vocalists and I never thought much of fanciful lyrics. I got lured by the harmonies, but I think it was the whole package (music, forum members, photos, Boyd's posts) that really sucked me in. Not to take anything away from the music... it IS great music. I wouldn't be here without that.

Or maybe I'm just overanalyzing.

When Ash and I saw the band on Conan, I commented to her, "It's funny how we're watching the band with such pride and anticipation... as if they're kids we know from down the street." I think all the photos and blogs and videos have helped create that feeling. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, ultimately. It seems a little bizarre when I try to think about it objectively. I mean... I don't know these people, I just like their music. Yet there I was, feeling near giddiness for them and their achievement. If it were JUST about the music, I imagine I'd be content with owning the CD and seeing them in concert. Why would being on Conan make any difference to me?

I don't know though. I think I've rambled too much.

Well said. I think the same way.