Laughing City
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

What kind of mics do the girls use? I coulnd't find where it was discussed on the last tour, and I haven't seen a gear page with them listed.

Bonus question: What kind of mics do the band use for everything? That information seems to be lacking. And it's rather interesting stuff.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
guitarfreak217
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
What kind of mics do the girls use? I coulnd't find where it was discussed on the last tour, and I haven't seen an equipment page with them listed.

Bonus question: What kind of mics do the band use for everything? That gear information seems to be lacking. And it's rather interesting stuff.

Are we talking live or studio?

Live I remember Boyd saying that the girls are now using Beta 87's. And I imagine mics for amps are just SM57's. Don't know about drums though.

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Oh yeah, I meant live. But studio would be pretty awesome to know, too.

Oh, and thanks!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kappa962
I LIKE KNOBS, FADERS

They both used to use Beta87s. I can't remember a or c, but it is whichever one is hyper/supercardiod. Halfway through the last tour, one of those mics died, so Sherri now uses an Earthworks SR20, which is the best live vocal mic I have ever heard. I generally run the EQ flat or very close to flat. And I never run vocal EQs flat. Hopefully we will be getting an Earthworks SR30/HC for Stacy at some point. A SR30/HC for Sherri would be sweet too, but it is so much more expensive than the SR20.

On guitar amps, we started using some Groove Tube large diaphram condensers on the last tour. (I can't remember the model number). They are warmer than 57s, but I would imagine that there is a better mic out there somewhere. Those are just what we had around, and we A/B'd them with 57s and they were a little better.

We also had a D112 on the kick on the last tour, but I'm hoping to have something else on the next tour. Possibly the Audio Technica dual element kick mic, and/or a MD421, and possibly a Yamaha subkick thingy. I have only heard those subkicks sound like poo, but they used one in the studio, and apparently everyone seems to think it works for Weston's kick. We'll see what happens.

It would be super awesome to get 421s for all the toms too, but I doubt the budget will be there for that.

-Mark

P.S. In the studio, they used 421s on toms and kick, (as well as a Neumann and a subkick on the kick) That's all I know about the mics used in the studio. Perhaps Ribbs is lurking and can tell you more.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Ohh, awesome. Thank you!

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Kappa962 wrote:
They both used to use Beta87s. I can't remember a or c, but it is whichever one is hyper/supercardiod. Halfway through the last tour, one of those mics died, so Sherri now uses an Earthworks SR20, which is the best live vocal mic I have ever heard. I generally run the EQ flat or very close to flat. And I never run vocal EQs flat. Hopefully we will be getting an Earthworks SR30/HC for Stacy at some point. A SR30/HC for Sherri would be sweet too, but it is so much more expensive than the SR20.

On guitar amps, we started using some Groove Tube large diaphram condensers on the last tour. (I can't remember the model number). They are warmer than 57s, but I would imagine that there is a better mic out there somewhere. Those are just what we had around, and we A/B'd them with 57s and they were a little better.

We also had a D112 on the kick on the last tour, but I'm hoping to have something else on the next tour. Possibly the Audio Technica dual element kick mic, and/or a MD421, and possibly a Yamaha subkick thingy. I have only heard those subkicks sound like poo, but they used one in the studio, and apparently everyone seems to think it works for Weston's kick. We'll see what happens.

It would be super awesome to get 421s for all the toms too, but I doubt the budget will be there for that.

-Mark

P.S. In the studio, they used 421s on toms and kick, (as well as a Neumann and a subkick on the kick) That's all I know about the mics used in the studio. Perhaps Ribbs is lurking and can tell you more.

The SR20 is amazing. I've had the chance to work with one before at school.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
boone
Vintage Newbie

I've noticed a few people started using Blue Balls to mic amps. They're phantom powered dynamics, and they sound pretty good.
rockchick1959
Golly, Poster

boone wrote:
I've noticed a few people started using Blue Balls to mic amps. They're phantom powered dynamics, and they sound pretty good.

im mixed about blue balls. ive heard theyre crap from some people and amazing from others.

http://kimschaefer.bandcamp.com/

http://youtube.com/kimschaefermusic
granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

rockchick1959 wrote:

im mixed about blue balls. .

i'm sorry...but i have to giggle at that one Laughing
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

412s...AKG?

isn't 414 a real popular model? it's been awhile since i've been in a studio with mics so i have forgotten a lot.

Kappa962
I LIKE KNOBS, FADERS

421, not 412.

Sennheiser MD421. Sweet mic, especially on toms.
Angela
Sea Post King

at my school we did a "mic shootout" and we used e604's md421's 57's and a couple others... surprisingly the e604's won...they have such a huge sound for such a tiny mic
Angela
Sea Post King

oh and also,
bigideas wrote:
412s...AKG?

isn't 414 a real popular model? it's been awhile since i've been in a studio with mics so i have forgotten a lot.

the akg c 414's are amazing mics...they won for best mic on grand piano for our mic shootout.
They are large diaphragm condensers and they have a really distinct sound....you probably wouldn't normally use them on drums unless they were for room mics or overheads.

but hey, there are no rules in audio... try it and see for yourself...

after all, Jeff Emerick (the engineer for the beatles) miced paul's bass cabinet with a speaker wired backwards to get the bass sound on paperback writer

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

yeah i remember using the 414s on a baby grand one time.

for recording at home i have a SM57 and a Samson C01.
both under $100 and they do pretty good.

theenvycorps
Vintage Newbie

Subkicks rock. Lately I've been using a D112 inside (or right on the reso head if no hole), U47 about 4 inches from the reso and a subkick. You can basically go anywhere you want from punchy and bright to big and thuddy from there.

goto page
 | next >>