Laughing City
verdantmemories
Sea Post King

Alright, most of the lyrics are pretty straightforward as far as interpretation, but this one still confuses me:

"A stranger end, a happy fit, so glad I'm part of it and I saw it all"

What happened? Did she and her beloved get together? Did she decide to be happy for her beloved and the "abandoned little crook?" Did they all decide that they all just wanted to be friends?

Theories?

http://sarahbrown.mymarkstore.com
Joined: 20 Aug 2007 | Posts: 38 | Location: Trying to find a way above the treetops...
suddensound
Sea Post King

Maybe they are all best friends now.
Last edited by suddensound on Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
verdantmemories
Sea Post King

suddensound wrote:
maybe the beloved and the little crook got married and moved to a castle, and the singer is best friends with them now.

It sounds possible, although it seems hard to believe that that would be a "happy fit."

http://sarahbrown.mymarkstore.com
Joined: 20 Aug 2007 | Posts: 38 | Location: Trying to find a way above the treetops...
nevernever
Laughing Citizen

verdantmemories wrote:
Alright, most of the lyrics are pretty straightforward as far as interpretation, but this one still confuses me:

"A stranger end, a happy fit, so glad I'm part of it and I saw it all"

What happened? Did she and her beloved get together? Did she decide to be happy for her beloved and the "abandoned little crook?" Did they all decide that they all just wanted to be friends?

Theories?

that's how i've always seen it. it's about moving on and being okay with something that might not have gone your way. a happy fit.

i love Ten Cent Blues because the lyrics really make you think.
Joined: 10 Nov 2005 | Posts: 1692 | Location: orange county, ca
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Saturnine67
Sea Post King

I think the narrator of the story lost the fight for the man, and the end is either sarcastic, or a very noble approach to being ok with everything.
Being the better man. er, woman.

David = Beloved, Roy = King, Marsh = Marsh

So I am the Beloved King of the Marsh.
The Marsh King!!

p.s. check out my band if you're bored
www.myspace.com/celestialmischiefband
Joined: 27 Oct 2005 | Posts: 155 | Location: Battle Creek, MI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
norad
Vintage Newbie

Saturnine67 wrote:
I think the narrator of the story lost the fight for the man, and the end is either sarcastic [...]

That's how I've always thought of it. Very sarcastic sounding to me.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

I try to avoid interpreting "Ten Cent Blues" whenever possible. The lyrics are incredibly obscure and I can't understand how anyone can get "the singer watches her beloved end up with someone else" out of it.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I love the resolution in the song. It's not just a lament. She's upset, but comes to terms with it.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
nevernever
Laughing Citizen

Saellys wrote:
I try to avoid interpreting "Ten Cent Blues" whenever possible. The lyrics are incredibly obscure and I can't understand how anyone can get "the singer watches her beloved end up with someone else" out of it.

"she is cheesy, she is scrawny with her uncanny styling
i'm teasing, she is pleasing, she just has no wit
and i'm sorry i don't have her face
and i'm probably gonna lose this race"

i find that pretty straightforward, though.
Joined: 10 Nov 2005 | Posts: 1692 | Location: orange county, ca
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

nevernever wrote:
Saellys wrote:

If you really stretch it, but there's still too much left open. Who's she talking to, and why?

I dunno. I love "Ten Cent Blues" because it's got a great melody and the guitar part is awesome (reminds me of Natalie Merchant's "Wonder"), but if I stop to think about the lyrics I just get confused, and then kind of mad. Laughing

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
norad
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
nevernever wrote:
Saellys wrote:

If you really stretch it, but there's still too much left open. Who's she talking to, and why?

It's some girl who she thinks is better than her. And why? She's probably just insecure about herself.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

You guys must be listening to a different song. I could twist the lyrics to mean any number of things.

Smokemonster
markr
Lost at Forum

im climbing out on a limb with this post, i say it has nothing to do with a relationship , but its about another person in the music business , you know a pollyanna type who gets all the attention but really theres nothing there behind a pretty face
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

no i totally get it, or what i understand it to be. it's not confusing to me at all.
keep in mind this is very loose...and in my 16-year-old mind.
basically, the narrator doesn't like this Chick. the Chick comes along, and shes like "b****" to the narrator just because narrator and she like the same Guy. they're fighting about the Guy.
the narrator is obviously jealous of the Chick that shot her down, because she's the one with the Guy's attention.
and the Girl comes along and picks the narrator apart, just as the narrator did to her, but she's like "so what? i don't care, you don't matter"
(upon hearing that she doesnt matter, the Chick is all "you've got nerve")
she knows she won't end up with the Guy but she decides she's okay with it, and to be the better person in the situation.

haha
Saturnine67
Sea Post King

There is the whole "cast into poverty" line, along with the song title, "Ten Cent Blues".

Adds more to the confusion? Or are they just the clues we needed?

David = Beloved, Roy = King, Marsh = Marsh

So I am the Beloved King of the Marsh.
The Marsh King!!

p.s. check out my band if you're bored
www.myspace.com/celestialmischiefband
Joined: 27 Oct 2005 | Posts: 155 | Location: Battle Creek, MI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger