Laughing City
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

patrock wrote:
mad_sam_purple'ead wrote:
patrock wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:
Some people think "screw," "crap" and "suck" are bad, too. I use those a ton.

And "hell". Like when I was younger we'd get in trouble at school for saying those words. Rolling Eyes

I take offense to people using "hell". It saddens me, too. It makes sense that it would do so, given my faith. There's nothing like that with the words Jamie mentioned.

I don't understand how that word is bad. Maybe if you tell someone to "go to hell" but that's the only thing I can think of. 'Cause that's rude no matter what you believe.
I kind of agree. Why is "what the Hell" somewhat offensive, but "for Heaven's sake" not? Well, I guess it is because Hell is evil, and Heaven is the opposite of evil?

Eh.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

It's really a matter of whether you think curse words are anything more than cultural taboo brought on by the FCC. Wink

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
kimtastic
Sea Post King

If you find "half-assed" offensive, you could start saying "half-buttocked" or "half-donkeyed". Wink
Joined: 28 Jul 2007 | Posts: 103 | Location: Borough of the Greens, NC
Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

kimtastic wrote:
"half-donkeyed".

I could get use to this!
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

uncreative wrote:
patrock wrote:
patrock wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:
Some people think "screw," "crap" and "suck" are bad, too. I use those a ton.

And "hell". Like when I was younger we'd get in trouble at school for saying those words. Rolling Eyes

I take offense to people using "hell". It saddens me, too. It makes sense that it would do so, given my faith. There's nothing like that with the words Jamie mentioned.

I don't understand how that word is bad. Maybe if you tell someone to "go to hell" but that's the only thing I can think of. 'Cause that's rude no matter what you believe.
I kind of agree. Why is "what the Hell" somewhat offensive, but "for Heaven's sake" not? Well, I guess it is because Hell is evil, and Heaven is the opposite of evil?

Eh.

no, i find "for heaven's sake" wrong. It's because they're incorrect usage of the words. telling someone to "go to hell" is an incredibly horrid thing to say: it is, afterall, the complete opposite of where we as Christians want someone to go.

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

They're just words. It's all about the intent, in my opinion.
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

Wow.
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:

How can it be about "intent"? Would you use the rule of "intent" for other wrong-doings? If I were to steal a chicken for my family's dinner because we had no money through no fault of our own, would i be above-board to do so? of course not! In the eyes of the law, stealing is stealing.

There is no intent in using the phrase (or similar) "go to hell", because the vast majority of people who say that don't actually know what they're saying.

TheClassicRomance wrote:

blog!
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

tahruh wrote:

How can it be about "intent"? Would you use the rule of "intent" for other wrong-doings? If I were to steal a chicken for my family's dinner because we had no money through no fault of our own, would i be above-board to do so? of course not! In the eyes of the law, stealing is stealing.

There is no intent in using the phrase (or similar) "go to hell", because the vast majority of people who say that don't actually know what they're saying.

Or some people just don't believe in what youre referring to so it's not a big deal for them, although I suppose that's a whole different subject that I don't want to get into.

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

An ass is a donkey. An arse is a butt. What happened was that arse sounds very close to ass with a British accent. So people said that 'ass' was vulgar too. And everyone started saying donkey instead. So a half-ass is as bad as silly goose IMO.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
superhits
Sea Post King

she's said half-assed twice in interviews. and pissed in several others.. so that's as far as it goes, i guess.
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

kLafied wrote:
tahruh wrote:

Or some people just don't believe in what youre referring to so it's not a big deal for them, although I suppose that's a whole different subject that I don't want to get into.

or, they don't know because they don't believe. or vice versa. same difference. That's the stupid thing about the world. "it doesn't hurt me, so it's alllll good" seems to be the mentality circuilating around.

TheClassicRomance wrote:

blog!
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:

Um..yeah. And that's kindaaa how it works. You don't see someone getting the death penalty because someone ran out in front of their car, and they accidentally killed them. It would be a pretty different story if the driver intended to run down that person. If I stub my toe and yell out F, it's not the same as telling someone to F off. Like Patrock said, those kinds of things are rude no matter what. Also, as far as I know, there's no law against cursing. It's cultural taboo, as mentioned above. On this forum, it happens to be a rule, and because I try to be a respectful person, I try not to use them. I also won't use them in front of children, who are usually not too good at discerning, or in front of people who have voiced a problem with it, but when it comes down to it, I respect people who choose not to use certain words, and they don't have to, but if I want to, I can.
Last edited by tahruh on Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

kLafied wrote:
tahruh wrote:

or, they don't know because they don't believe. or vice versa. same difference. That's the stupid thing about the world. "it doesn't hurt me, so it's alllll good" seems to be the mentality circuilating around.
wow...if someone randomly saying an obscenity "hurts you," than I'm guessing your skin is transparent, if existent at all. and please refrain from implying that i hold a mentality like that, 'cause very simply, i do not.
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

kLafied wrote:
tahruh wrote:

Plenus stercoris es.

Were you offened by that?

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>