Laughing City

Did you become an Atheist after seeing "The Golden Compass"?
Yes
44%
 44%  [ 13 ]
No
55%
 55%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 29

kLafied
Laughing Citizen

Saellys wrote:
patrock wrote:
Gosh. This is about a movie. Not religion or whatever. Shut up this stupid argument and talk about the movie...or how hot Daniel Craig's eyes are.

Yes! Not to take the topic off of The Golden Compass, but has anyone seen "Enduring Love" ? That's where I first saw him. It's a really good/creepy movie.

What a hottie.

Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

He is such a babe. That'll be one movie where I will not be able to stop making comments.. mm!
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

kLafied wrote:
Yes! Not to take the topic off of The Golden Compass, but has anyone seen "Enduring Love" ? That's where I first saw him. It's a really good/creepy movie.

That was one bizarre film, but Daniel Craig was absolutely divine in it.

I still think he's the best James Bond ever.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:

The naiveté of people who strive to avoid things like this is astonishing. It's a sign of insecurity; their house is built on sand, as Jesus might put it.

so just because one happens to not want to watch a movie they are naive and insecure?

not wanting to watch a movie based on ones beliefs is not a sign of naivete, it is a sign of integrity.

why do i need to see this film?

cant i go through life without ever having to see it?

i support mr pullmans right to make his books for whatever reason he wants. he has the right to do that. and i have the right to disagree and not want to see it or read it.

i am not insecure. i am firm in what i feel is right and wrong.

do i have to read everything that disagrees with what i feel just so you wont consider me fragile? (i understand i am being harsh but where do you draw the line?)

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:
Saellys wrote:

The naiveté of people who strive to avoid things like this is astonishing. It's a sign of insecurity; their house is built on sand, as Jesus might put it.

so just because one happens to not want to watch a movie they are naive and insecure?

not wanting to watch a movie based on ones beliefs is not a sign of naivete, it is a sign of integrity.

why do i need to see this film?

cant i go through life without ever having to see it?

i support mr pullmans right to make his books for whatever reason he wants. he has the right to do that. and i have the right to disagree and not want to see it or read it.

i am not insecure. i am firm in what i feel is right and wrong.

do i have to read everything that disagrees with what i feel just so you wont consider me fragile? (i understand i am being harsh but where do you draw the line?)

Rolling Eyes Read my post, please. I don't have a problem with you not wanting to see the movie, or read the books. That's a personal decision. I have a problem with people basing their opinion on a book they've never read or a movie they've never seen on something they heard secondhand, and then campaigning against said movie or book without any basis for doing so. That's why I've declined every Facebook invitation I've received for groups devoted to bashing the movie, because these are people who have no idea what they're talking about and no right to tell others what they should and shouldn't watch.

If you don't want to see it, and you don't want your kids to see it, more power to you. But please don't try to defend the morons who attempting to form a movement opposing the films. Or for that matter, JBaker's trollish assertion that loving the books means you love atheism. That's exactly the kind of crap I'm talking about, not your own personal preference one way or the other.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
norad
Vintage Newbie

I think the movie looks really neat. My best friend and I are going to see it soon...for Mr. Bond. DUH.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

patrock wrote:
I think the movie looks really neat. My best friend and I are going to see it soon...for Mr. Bond. DUH.

I don't find what I've seen about it terribly interesting, but I haven't seen much about it, either. Like most movies, I'll catch this on TV or DVD. Maybe ...

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
starbucksgod
Vintage Newbie

I think people should just do what they want....and to go on the other side of the basket...i might see the movie because Nicole Kidman is hot!
Last edited by starbucksgod on Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
norad
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
patrock wrote:

I don't find what I've seen about it terribly interesting, but I haven't seen much about it, either. Like most movies, I'll catch this on TV or DVD. Maybe ...

Well, it looks neat. Like the set and stuff. I have no idea what it's about. Haha. A compass maybe?
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
patrock wrote:

I wouldn't be into it (I'm pretty burnt out on the whole small-people-save-a-fantasy-world idea after the last few years) were it not for the steampunk aesthetic. Zeppelins, goggles, waistcoats, a giant elaborate pocketwatch, and Oxford in a parallel universe... gah, so tasty. Besides Daniel Craig, nothing else about it interests me, particularly since I didn't enjoy the books at all. So basically, I'm just in it for the visuals. Laughing

Smokemonster
stevey

patrock wrote:

Typical girls going after the older rich guys Laughing

I'll take the younger cute boys myself. Cool like Michael Cera
 |  | 
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

People bashing this book who've never read it is about as pathetic as people who bash Christianity yet have never read the Bible.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
People bashing this book who've never read it is about as pathetic as people who bash Christianity yet have never read the Bible.

I wouldn't equate the two as Christianity can, and is, judged by observing those who refer to themselves as Christians. Right or wrong, I will also judge other religions based on observing the followers of the religions.
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

i really don't think that Philip Pullman wrote the book to brainwash little kids and turn them into atheists, as much as he simply wrote a book dealing with religious themes, and his own perspective on religion came through, as it would in the work of any writer. he might have said that he was trying to undermine Christian belief, but, i don't know… that quote, even if accurate, seems, at least, taken out of context — like there's a lot more that he said, but they just snipped the juicy bit out! from what i know of the work (and, no, i haven't read the books, either!), the moral of the story seems to be more about not blindly accepting things on "faith", and letting religion and dogma control your life — i guess some might consider that anti-Christian, but, personally, i don't! if you aren't willing to question your faith, then, frankly, i don't think you can ever really have any faith! or, at least, not faith that really means anything. besides, there's clearly a lot more imagination and artistry going on in these than just some atheistic propaganda, or whatever, and even if it is atheist propaganda you should at least be willing to appreciate that imagination and artistry, right? i don't know… i don't think it's fair to judge a book, or movie, based on hearsay, and i'll make up my mind when i see the movie, and/or read the books, and i wish everyone else would do the same!

of course, this all might just be pouring more fuel on the flames, but, it's just what i've been thinking reading over this thread, and felt the need to say it.

i don't have much of any opinion on Daniel Craig's eyes, but, Eva Green has a couple of, uh, awfully purdy… well… yeah… i'll just stick to eyes too, i guess… but not really…

edit: i just read that interview, and the quote was in response to a comparison with C.S. Lewis, and i took it as him trying to differentiate himself from C.S. Lewis, more than anything — or, in other words: C.S. Lewis was a Christian writing a religious allegory from the perspective of a Christian, while Philip Pullman is an atheist (or whatever) writing a religious allegory from the perspective of an atheist (or whatever.) at least, put in the proper context, that's what i got out of it! i could still see how a devout Christian would be offended, but, eh, i'm not a devout Christian… and i don't think it in any way takes away from the artistic value of the work, which is all the really matters anyways (to me, at least, and, i believe [though i might be wrong] Philip Pullman as well!)
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
Last edited by do not be afraid. on Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lantz
Vintage Newbie

i just bought the book, and i'm reading it before friday.

"theres so much beauty it could make you cry"
-Modest Mouse

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>