Laughing City
ghost in the snow
Golly, Poster

I've been planning on writing this for a while, but I keep getting too nervous. It's a little personal, but I really want to share how much influence Eisley's had on my life.

I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Not just little things like being organized or washing my hands a lot, but full blown OCD. It started getting bad when I was 14 years old. I'd always been a little strange and always had to have things a certain way, but at this point I realized something was wrong. I would get 3 hours of sleep a night because I had to keep getting up to make sure the door was unlocked. I could only write in pencil at school and if I made any mistakes I couldn't just use the eraser I had to completely start over. These are only 2 examples, I could go on and on. My life was falling apart and I couldn't do anything to stop it. My father doesn't believe in psychiatry so instead of getting help, I turned to drugs. By the time I was a sophomore in High School I was addicted to cocaine. I started falling behind in my schoolwork and finally my parents noticed something was up, so I checked into rehab. I was 15. While I was there, a girl from texas played Eisley's EP 2 for me, and I was instantly in love. I listened to it constantly the whole time I was there and it helped me through the hard times. After I got out, listening to it helped me stay strong and gave me hope as I went through intensiver therapy and different medications. It sounds cheesy, but it's true.

I ended up PMing Boyd in 2004 telling him my story, and he sent me back the most heartfelt message. Here are two excerpts: "Reading your message immediately brought tears. I was feeling so depressed and stressed over everything... but after reading your words, I just sat back in my seat and thought...gosh, this one email makes everything we've been facing worth it. If Eisley's music was just for you... I honestly believe it's a reason to exist. " "I hope you get better and better...and happier...and amazing things happen in your life. I know it will happen. Thanks for the encouragement. I'll make sure every band member hears this. Chauntelle will totally be heart-stricken. I really believe and so do they...that Eisley exists for this very purpose. It's totally not to become rock stars or famous or have money, etc. You're email speaks right to the very core of their vision." He also mentioned it in his Trolleywood journal "Woah ya'll. I got an amazing pm this eve. I was at the peak of juggling so many stressful pieces of complex poly-eisely-carbons, when, unexpectedly, the soothing, beautiful balm of Gollywood slid right through the pm portal. I won't quote him/her, but... I surely held back tears. It was one of those: this makes it all worthwhile memo's. If Eisley's music was just for
this one soul, it was reason enough to exist."

The response from him was completely overwhelming. He didn't just skip over my pm. He read it, and he cared. I truly think that this changed my life. I knew then that I had found my purpose. My dream, starting then, was to become a music teacher so that I could help kids through music the way that Eisley did for me. I had always played piano but I decided to pick up the guitar and eventually the bass, oboe, and harp. Now I can play almost any instrument you give me. I got my life back on track, and I'm now in my second semester at a great school on a scholarship, on my way to becoming a music teacher.

I know that the band doesn't read this, and that Boyd gets a million pm's a day, but I just want to say thank you a million times over for playing such a huge part in who I am today. And to all of you who are reading this: they may not get a chance to say it, but Eisley cares about each and every one of you. - Julie
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Julie, that's awesome. Really, really incredible. Thank you so much for sharing that story. I'm moving this to EisleyBlog, where it deserves to be. And I'm sure the band will see this. Smile

I hope things continue to go so positively.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

That brought tears to my eyes, too. Wow. Music is so amazing how it can do that; just be there for you when maybe nobody else is, or you feel so lost. I'm so happy Eisley helped you through such traumatic times in your life.
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

That's a very, very inspiring story.
Thank you.
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.
thejackiegurl
Sea Post King

first i want to say i'm sorry you went through all that, i really am. but i am also soooo happy you got past it and are on your way to become something awesome, to tell you the truth.
you are amazing.

and of course eisley is too, haha, but you are amazing.
Rb
Sea Post King

That story definitely brightened my night, congratulations on getting past such rough times, I myself know that is a pretty rough road to travel. Now despite the fact that I am fairly new to the board and don't know everyone as of now, I must say that my wishes are with you. Keep spreading the world with beautiful music, it needs it Smile
Joined: 08 Jan 2008 | Posts: 464 | Location: San Francisco, CA
4th Month of the Year
Lost at Forum

That's amazing. That's what I love about not only the band but everything that comes with them. It's incredible how music has such a huge impact on people. Not only has Eisley help change your life, but they'll even influence your students.
ks1990
Lost at Forum

Wow, that was amazing. It's really great to hear you're happy in life now. Really inspiring Very Happy
boyd
Eisleyoid

hey. thanks for unearthing your very core. i can't really take much credit since i did so little... and i know the band sure wouldn't feel worthy of your kind words. But i also feel like you do - about their songs. Fom the beginning have been on the receiving end. Lately i get tons and tons of messages from people giving similar accounts. One person - about a year ago, was about to commit suicide and turned on eisley as his last choice for music... (like to hang himself to... uhhh. sad) then broke down, with the rope around his neck... and changed his mind. Other accounts of terminally ill... finding joy and hope, while dying in the hospital; many more similar private disclosures. These kind of life-affecting stories ( far less extremes ones, as well) account for the primary reason I feel so committed to doing whatever I can to get this music out there. In the end, it's not about Eisley. Certainly not about me. But thanks for being honest and giving encouragement back to the band. It's been really, really hard lately for certain members even though you guys will never see it... at shows or in media. This means a lot. I will make sure the band reads this. thnx.

boyd

p.s. hope you're doing better continually.

"The industrialists never saw the fruit of their own labor - Post Moderism,
which I now proclaim as dead. Their forefathers digital revolutionists,
have accelerated the final resolve by punctuating an end to our chaotic
journey with a new manifesto and a new era: The Age of Meaning."

(manifesto's sold separate)
Welcome: Illuminists
Lynn
Golly, Poster

Thank you, ghost in the snow, thank you so much for sharing that. It's really very brave(not sure about the right choice of word) of you to tell your story. Your story is amazing, mostly because it's all real.
And of course thank you, thank you, thank you, Eisley (and family and friends helping them), because what you do means so much and because you saved so many many people in so many many ways. And like Boyd said, even one is reason enough for the band to exist.
Last edited by Lynn on Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

Wow, thank you so much for that story. It makes me really proud to be a fan of such an incredible band.
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

Julie, thank you for sharing your story. Music is so amazing, especially Eisley's as your story shows.

What also is amazing is the strong conviction/focus you gained from your past hard experience. I have a feeling that you are going to positively affect so many students as a music teacher, probably more than you will realize. Smile Again, thanks for sharing!
Miss Pine
Golly, Poster

What a beautiful, inspiring story. Thank you for sharing it.
Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

im so happy that you are on the right path now. Very Happy Thank you for writing this down.
mister_mime
Golly, Poster

wow, that is the coolest thing I have heard in a long time. it warmed me to the core, if that makes sense.

goto page
 | next >>