Laughing City
guitargirl
Laughing Citizen

I'm sure (or at least I thought I was) that the vocals on Marvelous Things from the MT EP and Room noises are different. I only need to hear "I (a)woke the dawn" to be able to tell that they're different, (in the first Stacy sounds younger, and in the second she sounds older). Maybe I'm crazy. Question

j'ai pas envie d'être un robot, métro boulot dodo
-Kelli
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

You might be.
It's the same vocal.

fernster
Sea Post King

I'm one of those that enjoys different versions of the same song.
The evolution of a song(s) is interesting.

erico
Sea Post King

I think the bigger deal is the difference between Memories on MT and RM. The RM version is one of my favorite songs EVER, while the MT version seems so slow and dreary...
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

First Eisley song I heard was RN version of Telescope Eyes, and that is not my favorite version of the song. I loved it when I first heard it, now I can hardly listen to it, much preferring the earlier versions. But whatever. Songs will change as bands go in different directions musically, etc... and their sound changes. Fans usually grow with the band, though many will prefer the previous incarnations.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

StuartBuck wrote:
Anyway, I guess the moral is, if there's more than one version of the same song out there, people who get used to one version will think the other version is "wrong."

I disagree completely, at least with the implication that this is the reason in every case. The Room Noises versions of songs took some getting used to, sure, but it goes much deeper than that and I think you missed the point of that thread. Luke (theenvycorps) was talking about production quality, not the pace of "Telescope Eyes" or the way other rerecorded songs differed from their early versions. There was a lot of tension in the studio over the recording of Room Noises and the band was passed around between several producers who didn't know them well and didn't have the same vision for their sound. As a consequence many songs ended up sounding slick when they should have sounded sparse ("Lost at Sea") and the album as a whole was very disjointed. The problem is not that some people heard the early recordings first; the problem is that much of Room Noises was simply not true to Eisley.

Personally, my biggest beef with the album's production was that they used pitch-shifting on Stacy during "Trolley Wood," and that just ain't right.

To use an example I mentioned in that older thread, a couple years ago I managed to acquire most of Brandi Carlile's old recordings. A lot of songs from her two EPs and independent full-length were rerecorded for last year's The Story, produced by T-Bone Burnett. The new versions of the songs took some getting used to (particularly "Turpentine," which is now much slower and less in-your-face, and "Again Today" which went from acoustic guitar ballad to ambient freeform), but the production quality of the entire album was true to Brandi's overall sound and thus I like those versions of the songs as much as or better than the old ones.

Listening to the old recordings for so long before The Story was released did not ruin the new versions for me, because they still sounded like Brandi Carlile ought to sound. Portions of Room Noises, however, did not sound like Eisley, and that was the point of Luke's thread.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
Songs will change as bands go in different directions musically, etc... and their sound changes.

Or as the label/producer puts pressure on them.

fernster
Sea Post King

wow saellys

thats heavy stuff there.

Its interesting to note that I had no early eisley experience prior to
RN. Now when I bought the record, I loved it from the git go. To my ears
it sounded like pure eisley. Lost at Sea is still my favorite song. I love sherri's vocals on it. it gets me all teary eyed still. So, if RN was over or under produced I could'nt tell then and I still am not concerned about it now. All I know is the songs move me and sure the heck sound like eisley to me. I know what u mean in general though. now sometimes pitch shifting is necessary,that why the contraption exists. A lot of artist have used it for all kinds of reasons and for that my take is it should'nt invalidate a recording or cheapen it. Now that i know this, I went to listen to trollywood and.......I still love it for the cute song that it is.

"Portions of Room Noises, however, did not sound like Eisley",
I wonder exacly what u mean by that.? did i get short changed because its not the true eisley sound? (i'm being cheeky here just wondering Cheers!

Laughing

Last edited by fernster on Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

It is funny that the lame "remix" version of Lost at Sea is still up right on their own site, picture of Jon with the band still there. Seems that would get an update at some point. http://www.eisley.com/music.php
fernster
Sea Post King

I should NOT of heard the remix of LAS!!!!

I musta missed that somewhere??? anyway it did sound....well different.
RN version better. I do like that studio vid that B put up awhile back of LAS. I still love the RN version.

Whats the story behind the remix of LAS??????? I don't know nothin!

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

fernster wrote:
I should NOT of heard the remix of LAS!!!!

I musta missed that somewhere??? anyway it did sound....well different.
RN version better. I do like that studio vid that B put up awhile back of LAS. I still love the RN version.

Whats the story behind the remix of LAS??????? I don't know nothin!

Reggae, baby! Yaaa, maaan.

I thank StuartBuck for linking that other thread. Good read. Where did all those people go? Laughing
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

fernster wrote:
now sometimes pitch shifting is necessary,that why the contraption exists. A lot of artist have used it for all kinds of reasons and for that my take is it should'nt invalidate a recording or cheapen it.

I have no problem with pitch shifting; I've used it before myself when necessary for quick fixes. The problem with using it on Stacy during "Trolley Wood" was that they dialed it up so high that it audibly warbles during the transitions between notes, and that's just disgusting. There must have been a dozen professional studio people who listened to that track very closely between recording and the final mastered version, and at least one of them should have noticed that and fixed it.

It didn't cheapen the song, but it did make the recording considerably less enjoyable for me.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fernster
Sea Post King

ire maaan

oh, ama gonna go back and give it a real good listen now.
wow i did not catch that! You got a good ear there!
warble huh....

Ok since it just popped into my noggin. WHY did Jon
exit the band?????? I am very curious. He sure was and
I'm sure still is a pretty nifty bassist. and don't give me the
party line! please Very Happy

Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

guitargirl wrote:
I'm sure (or at least I thought I was) that the vocals on Marvelous Things from the MT EP and Room noises are different. I only need to hear "I (a)woke the dawn" to be able to tell that they're different, (in the first Stacy sounds younger, and in the second she sounds older). Maybe I'm crazy. Question

You're not hearing things, there's a big difference, but it all boils down to production. I like the EP version best, personally. That Rhodes, man Very Happy

Vintage Newbie

fernster wrote:

Ok since it just popped into my noggin. WHY did Jon
exit the band?????? I am very curious. He sure was and
I'm sure still is a pretty nifty bassist. and don't give me the
party line! please Very Happy

I think it was something about touring and observing the Sabath as a day of rest, if I remember right. Hard to remember all the details, with his Xanga all shut down.