Laughing City
StuartBuck
Sea Post King

One of my favorite Eisley songs -- it's so poignant and wistful. Classical guitar doesn't always have the same effect, but that's my instrument, so what else can I do . . . . So after church today, I sat down in the bathroom with my 1967 Ramirez again: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7549950915185079936

It's a relatively hard song on solo guitar; I've had to work on it for several weeks. Just like last time, there are a few flubbed notes, but it's about the best I could do in one take. (And I forgot to take off my wedding ring! So you can occasionally hear that slapping the neck.)

Trying to work in the harmony voice line on the chorus didn't always fit on solo guitar. So sometimes I leave it out. A few other times, I change the parallel fourths to parallel sixths (I like the sound of parallel sixths a bit better anyway).

The cool marxophone effect was also a bit hard to mimic (I used to think this was a hammered dulcimer until I saw it in a video.) I used tremolo (repeating notes on the same string with all the right hand fingers except the pinky).

Again, I know that this is a violation of copyright, so I'll be happy to erase it if someone raises an eyebrow.
sootandstars
Sea Post King

I loved listening to it. It sounded magnificent Smile
Look each other in the eye
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

You are very, very talented.
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.
Jared x
Lost at Forum

That's awesome. Smile The marxophone effect at the beginning sounds a little weird to me, but once the song gets started, everything is really great. Amazing job, man.
soupey
Sea Post King

I'd love to have an MP3 of that, it was beautiful
Jared x
Lost at Forum

soupey wrote:
I'd love to have an MP3 of that, it was beautiful

http://www.sendspace.com/file/k73uqm

mikep0922
Lost at Forum

Super! It's such a lovely song Smile
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Holy cow. That's awesome. Very Happy I love the way you imitate the marxophone at the beginning.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Sounds pretty sweet, I'd love to see you put more flamenco style variation in rearrangements like these.

On a side note, I found a marxophone at my school a few days ago when I was exploring. It would have been pretty fun it if was not so horribly out of tune (and I had neither the time nor the tools to retune it). It's like, the easiest instrument ever to play, no wonder it was always sold door to door, Laughing

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
savannah64
Sea Post King

That's awesome! Really, really cool.
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

No worries; the poignant and wistfulness caries over very well on classical guitar. I liked how you did the marxophone effect and how you did the harmonies. Awesome cover. Smile
Lady_Gown
Sea Post King

Brilliant! I love it.
Joined: 02 May 2006 | Posts: 274 | Location: Asteroid B-612
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

Verrrry nice! Some tricky/painful fingering positions thrown in there.

Funny how the bathroom usually has the best acoustics in any building Smile
StuartBuck
Sea Post King

Thanks everyone!

Here I was worried about copyright violations, when I see from the recent interview:

Quote:
H:Some artists are very strict about thier live photography and recording policies, but fans love that you all aren’t. many of them even post their videos on youtube and they are watched by thousands of people. Do you ever watch them? Have you seen the covers of your songs done by fans?

S: Ohmygoodness, I have to say that one of our favorite things to do is go on youtube and watch fans cover our songs. There are some really good ones, and some really hilarious ones that just totally make our nights. We love you guys so much, please don’t ever stop making those videos!!!

That's a relief!

grain thrower wrote:
Funny how the bathroom usually has the best acoustics in any building Smile
Yeah . . . That's exactly why we should go back to outhouses. There are way too many situations where you're over at someone's house, and the bathroom is right by the living room, and the acoustics are just wonderful . . . . Smile
Lynn
Golly, Poster

That was amazing, I wish I could play like you. Smile Sounds lovely.