Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>

Will the Cubs win the World Series in 2008?
Yes
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
No
84%
 84%  [ 45 ]
Total Votes : 53

gundamit
Golly, Poster

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
gundamit wrote:
Wow. Cubs have the best record in baseball at the end of May with 1 left to play. Not too late to get on the Cubs bandwagon? I'll bet there is still plenty of room. Laughing

Better to get on at the end of May than in mid-September. Welcome to the CWWS2008 express! Smile

I'm warming up to he idea of the Cubs representing the N.L. in the World Series, but I don't think I'll get on the bandwagon until they clinch their division for fear I will jinx them.

I'm saving all my mojo and good vibes for the Giants so they can avoid a 100 game loss season. I have a little to spare for the N.L. All-Star team. Would be nice to have an N.L. team have home field advantage in the World Series. Its huge!

Vintage Newbie

gundamit wrote:
I'm saving all my mojo and good vibes for the Giants so they can avoid a 100 game loss season. I have a little to spare for the N.L. All-Star team. Would be nice to have an N.L. team have home field advantage in the World Series. Its huge!

Considering The Cubs are 28-8 at home, and 14-16 on the road, it would be a big deal if The Cubs make it to The World Series and have home field advantage. This upcoming All-Star game is going to be a big deal.

Cubs beat the Braves tonight at Wrigley Field, 7-2, and have won the series opener 10 series in a row (including yesterday).

It appears the NL Central may come down to 2 teams (Cubs and Cardinals), and the division loser will likely win the wild card. Of course almost 100 games to go still until the post-season, and a lot could happen. But that is how it's stacking up. As of now, The Cubs are 2 1/2 games ahead of St. Louis, and St. Louis is 3 games better than The Marlins for best record of a second place team.

Cardinal Albert Pujols is out for at least 3 weeks with a strained left calf. But Cardinals won tonight 10-0 without him, so they are keeping pace. Cub Alfonso Soriano broke his left hand tonight after being hit by a pitch, and could miss up to six weeks. Matt Murton or Eric Patterson will likely get called up from from AAA to take his spot on the roster. Felix Pie isn't ready. Outfield without Soriano will most nights be Kosuke Fukudome, Jim Edmonds and Reed Johnson, with Derosa some and whoever gets called up from minor leagues some (Matt Murton or Eric Patterson).
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Cubs sweep The Braves, winning in extra innings 3-2. Jim Edmonds comes up big again, with 2 RBIs including a 9th inning home run to tie the game and send it to extras. Cubs are 29-8 at home this year (first time since 1907 they've started 29-8 or better at home). Braves are 7-24 on the road. On to Toronto for the weekend. Hope Cubs can improve their road record, taking 2 of 3 this weekend.

Admiral79 wrote:
I just hope Jimmy doesn't do that well.

For you, Admiral (again) Smile :

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200806122900697
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

Where the heck are you Cubs? I'm pissed you let the Rays sweep you. Where's the love for your Red Sox brothers?
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

BNROCKS wrote:
Where the heck are you Cubs? I'm pissed you let the Rays sweep you. Where's the love for your Red Sox brothers?

Hmmm, let's see. Cubs are 30-8 at home and 16-20 on the road. Red Sox are 28-7 at home and 18-22 on the road. Pretty similar in regard to how they play at home vs. how they play on the road.

Cubs got swept in Tampa Bay (a good team this year), with 2 of 3 of the losses by 1 run. Much like Red Sox got swept in Toronto (April 4-6) and in Tampa Bay (April 25-27) and in Oakland (May 23-25). Two good teams meet, advantage goes to the home team (usually). I just hope that is the case in tonights Red Sox vs. Cardinals game. Boston trails St. Louis 5-3 in the 8th inning. Happy to say Cubs came from behind to win game 1 against The White Sox today, 4-3.
Last edited by CUBSWINWORLDSERIES on Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

WHOA! Quoting games from April and May!!!

Damn, Cubs! Wink Well it's the top of the 8th right now and the good Sox are down, but you know what? That's OK, even if they lose tonight... A strange confidence comes over your team win they win consistently.

Good luck Cubbies!!
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Cubs come from behind all the time this year (especially at home). It is a nice feeling to know you're never out of a game until the final out. Although Red Sox lost tonight, you still have a good shot at winning the series. Good luck. Beat those Cards!!
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

The Cubs got the sweep over The White Sox over the weekend to get back to 20 games over .500, and Red Sox won 1 of 3 over The Cardinals.
NL Central standings:
Cubs 48-28 .632
Cardinals 44-33 .571 4.5 games back
Brewers 41-34 .547 6.5 games back
Pirates 36-40 .474 12.0 games back
Astros 35-41 .461 13.0 games back
Reds 35-42 .455 13.5 games back

GO CUBS!

Side note: The Cubs have won 14 straight at home for the first time since June 4-June 10, 1936

starbucksgod wrote:
i think its more like brewers this is the year 2008. Cubs five hundred team at best.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Admiral79 wrote:
I just hope Jimmy doesn't do that well.

For you, Admiral (again) Smile Jim Edmonds is the 3rd Cub ever to hit 2 home runs in the same inning.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200806212975657
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Cubs lost 4 in a row, and 5 of last 6 (White Sox swept The Cubs at The Cell to return the favor). Cubs are playing .767 at home and .410 on the road this year. They start a 7 game road trip tonight (4 in San Francisco, then 3 in St. Louis). Hope they can win 4 of 7, and at least 1 of those 4 in St. Louis. NL Central is getting tight (Cardinals just 2 1/2 games back, Brewers just 4 1/2 games back). Aramis Ramirez will miss the next 3 games for a family matter. Zambrano is due off the DL on Friday. GO CUBS!
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

They beat the Giants tonight. Evil or Very Mad But Zito was on the mound, so don't be too proud.

But SF will take 2 of the next 3, starting tomorrow night when Matt Cain is on the mound, as well as the series finale with Tim Lincecum on the mound. Trust me, there is no way you're winning that one!

In Tim we trust.

Oh, also, the video that you got your avatar from is freaking weird...
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Cubs split with Giants 2 of 4 and took 2 of 3 against Cardinals. So nice 4-3 road trip.

7 Cubs on the All-Star team (though Soriano will not play due to injury).

Brewers traded 4 prospects to the Cleveland Indians for pitcher CC Sabathia today. They're pretty much rolling the dice on this season, as the prospects they traded are probably going to be in the major leagues at some point for at least 2 of the 4 (and with Sheets and Sabathia being free agents next year, neither likely to be Brewers next year). However, with CC being the reigning AL Cy Young Award winner, and with Ben Sheets being an All-Star this season, they are going to have a tough 1-2 punch. Hopefully Cubs can still hold them (and St. Louis) off for the division. Pretty good chance the wild card will also come out of the NL Central (the 3 best records in the National League are currently in the NL Central).

Cubs are in first place, 3 1/2 games ahead of both Milwaukee and St. Louis. GO CUBS!

Admiral79 wrote:
Oh and did someone say Cubs v. Rays World Series? Somebody break up the Rays! Razz

Looking more and more like a possibility. Both teams are for real. Very Happy

uncreative wrote:
They beat the Giants tonight. Evil or Very Mad But Zito was on the mound, so don't be too proud.

But SF will take 2 of the next 3, starting tomorrow night when Matt Cain is on the mound, as well as the series finale with Tim Lincecum on the mound. Trust me, there is no way you're winning that one!

In Tim we trust.

Oh, also, the video that you got your avatar from is freaking weird...

Zito - ahhh, so happy The Cubs didn't sign him. San Fran went way overboard with the seven year, $126 million contract (through 2013). So Zito is yours. You can have him! Smile And you have to love that Zito has a complete no-trade clause for the entire length of the contract. Wow!
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Cubs are tied for the best record in the major leagues at the All-Star Break, 95 games into the season (LA Angels are also at .600 in the American League). They have a 4 1/2 game lead on the second best record in the National League St. Louis, and 5 games on Milwaukee. Anyone want to change their vote? You may want to wait until after the All-Star game to see which league will have the home field advantage in The World Series (Cubs are 37-12 at Wrigley this year, Red Sox are 36-11 at Fenway, Rays are 36-14 at Tropicana, etc...). Go National League, win this one!!
gundamit
Golly, Poster

Anyone want to change their vote? You may want to wait until after the All-Star game to see which league will have the home field advantage in The World Series (Cubs are 37-12 at Wrigley this year, Red Sox are 36-11 at Fenway, Rays are 36-14 at Tropicana, etc...). Go National League, win this one!!
Yeah! Com'on National League! Pull out all the stops for this one! Play it like its a playoff game. I'm tired of the A.L. dominating ... Evil or Very Mad
Vintage Newbie

gundamit wrote:
Anyone want to change their vote? You may want to wait until after the All-Star game to see which league will have the home field advantage in The World Series (Cubs are 37-12 at Wrigley this year, Red Sox are 36-11 at Fenway, Rays are 36-14 at Tropicana, etc...). Go National League, win this one!!
Yeah! Com'on National League! Pull out all the stops for this one! Play it like its a playoff game. I'm tired of the A.L. dominating ... Evil or Very Mad

NL Scores first with a Matt Holiday home run (nice pitching by Ben Sheets, Carlos Zambrano and Dan Haren through 5 innings). 1-0 National League after 5 innings. Can the National League end their All-Star slump, and do it in the house the Ruth built?
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

gundamit wrote:

NL Scores first with a Matt Holiday home run (nice pitching by Ben Sheets, Carlos Zambrano and Dan Haren through 5 innings). 1-0 National League after 5 innings. Can the National League end their All-Star slump, and do it in the house the Ruth built?

What a game, huh? Now if you think the Cubs can still take October they'll have to pull it off at Fenway. To be honest, though, I was pretty shocked (though not unpleasantly) when Drew won the MVP; I thought for sure Cook would get it.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>