Laughing City

Your feelings on Coldplay
I love them.
36%
 36%  [ 39 ]
I dispise them.
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
I like some of the stuff they do, but not everything.
57%
 57%  [ 61 ]
Que es Coldplay?
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 107

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Yeah, I think Prospekt's March was the leftovers they wanted to release... the Kylie thing was off my radar, so if it came out I wasn't even aware.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Jared x
Lost at Forum

bigideas wrote:
they never did release the Kylie Monague(sp?) did they?

It's called Lhuna. I think they released it on that (RED) music service, but other than that, I don't know how to obtain it legitimately. The copy I have I ripped from a YouTube video.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Coldplay - Ghost Stories came out recently, so I resurrected this thread with amended Subject heading.

Every review mentions the recent Chris/Gwyn split. I would think at least one reviewer would be unaware, as I don't think it was super huge news. They were together back when Eisley opened for them, because G had an Eisley shirt on in a paparazzi photo. It was a green shirt with the Eisley 'E' with a circle on it. I believe they had some interaction with G and they even heard Chris Martin playing Treetops during soundcheck. Correct me if I'm confused on that.

I'll talk about Ghost Stories if I get some feedback/other opinions on here.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

It was big news because Gwyneth announced it on her blog and called it a "conscious uncoupling" and that term is pretty much what created all the buzz because of her reputation for being pretentious.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
It was big news because Gwyneth announced it on her blog and called it a "conscious uncoupling" and that term is pretty much what created all the buzz because of her reputation for being pretentious.

Wil Smith who hasn't listened to the album and didn't want any reviews clicked on the Coldplay thread? Dangerous ground, man.

I'm surprised that out of all the reviewers out there, that one didn't know about it or maybe even that they were an item. They aren't like other celebrity couples. They were rarely at events together. I wonder if it was in the album press kit - if they still do those.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

You forget that I only avoid reviews for albums I am really excited about. Razz
I had no problem reading a Coldplay review because of their tendency to release really annoying (to me) lead singles every other album starting from Parachutes:

Yellow (admittedly it grew on me)
In My Place Love (That was Gwyneth sitting on the steps in the video)
Speed of Sound Mad (sounded like a rewrite of Moses, which sounded like a rewrite of Clocks)
Violet Hill Mr. Green the toughest groove they'd put out since Politik
Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall Crying or Very sad
Magic - pleasant and totally unoffensive

They have yet to make an album I dislike, but the amount of attention I give them has reduced with the passing years. Part of that is because they seems to always push the envelop as close to being trite as possible without crossing the line. Whether they cross it or not is debatable.

So I read their reviews. Also, the Gwyneth thing has a lot to do with how present she is in the media with her Gloop blog and tabloid presence. I haven't really read the interviews but even the wikipedia entry points to how the album is a concept record about dealing with regret and a breakup specifically, so it looks like it was part of the press kit/ promo materials (not unlike the Valley) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_Stories_(Coldplay_album)

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

During the Ghost Stories TV special Chris said they got together about a year ago to start the album. No idea when the special was recorded, but unless he continued writing during the sessions, then that means the writing was on the wall a long time ago. I forget the story of Mylo, but maybe that album was already him trying to write a happy ending.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I saw a tweet that sort of spoiled the album. It only took 140 characters, but the singles sort of spelled it out.

808s and Heartbreak: Coldplay Edition. Laughing

Interesting to hear this sort of record done minus the dark overtones (musically). Good old synth-pop meets 80s R & B slow jam grooves is how we do breakup records 14 years into the new century.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Have you come across any in depth interviews about the writing/recording of the album?

I purposefully skipped the GS songs I didn't know when watching the special. Then after hearing the album I went back to see what the other guys would even be doing. They're barely on the album. They did have something to do on every song in the special though.

All drums sound electronic. The drummer did play the beats live though. I wonder if he played like normal during recording and had some kind of electronic triggers set up, or if he wasn't involved at all and just learned it later.

The lead guitar or bass never really have any kind of 'moment' in the album either. I wonder if it was a band decision to go this route.

It is a pretty cohesive listen though.
Ink is corny for me. The tattoo metaphor is getting used a lot more with the tattoo's increased social acceptance. Jordin Sparks had a tattoo song, and probably others. If it had different lyrics, I would still find the performance a little corny.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I haven't watched the live performance, but I would have expected them all to be playing keyboards or e-MU units or something. Autotune is all it needs to push it over the line. It's good for what it is, but not great.

As far as guitar moments, on True Love at 2:57 the solo comes in and sounds totally like a Pixies style guitar lead, completely atonal and with a different rhythm over the main melody. They are skilled enough musicians where they didn't do that on accident. It's a total art rock impressionistic moment that sort of spoils the romantic/ blissful tone of the song.

That is the only memorable lead guitar part on the album I noticed. Other than that there are a few acoustic guitar parts here and there.

I remember when they mentioned* Kate Bush's Running Up That Hill as inspiring parts of Speed of Sound and X & Y is pretty much a take on 80s Synth Rock and pop. The next two albums are arguably Coldplay embracing the pop-rock part of that equation and Ghost Stories is them return to the past and showing what it would look like if they had funny embraced the Synth element of the sound and eliminated the pop-rock component.

It still feels like a Chris Martin Solo album in the same way that King Of Limbs feels like a Thom Yorke/ Atoms For Piece album. To their credit, when I saw Radiohead tour that record, those songs, and the entire set was basically a Rave in progress and those tunes took on another life in the live setting when sandwiched in with other tracks of theirs in the same vein.

This is not an album I would pay to see live. I could only imagine that they could sell people on the idea of seeing it live if they toured very small venues for an intimate experience, or toured with an Orchestra and fleshed out these tracks with symphonic arrangements. Beyond that there is only a song or two that lend themselves to anything other than a run to the concession stand, bathroom, or checking your phone.

That said, if their aim is to nudge Justin Vernon out of his comfort zone as Bon Iver they need to try harder. He's got the edge in terms of artistic execution on the mellower side of impressionistic space balladry.

Bringing it back to Kate Bush, this does make me think of her two most recent albums Aerials and 50 Words for Snow.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_Sound_(song)

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

They only have the one vocoder/BI song.
The instrumental is said to predate BI's use of AT.
I can actually listen to GS, not sure I can make it through an entire BI album.

The time difference between the Target edition and regular is just silence.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Yeah, the little bit of atmosphere at the end of O on the regular edition is not much of a an addition other than to make the album seem longer.

They originally said 9 five minute songs and they didn't deliver on that. On the flip side the only real bonus song of completely original material on the Target edition is Ghost Stories, as the reprise is just revisiting O and that other is just filler/ audio collage at best.

I haven't opened my CD and will probably sell it on Amazon or somewhere as new for a lower than retail price and get the target version just cause though. Debating on doing that with the Mclachlan since there are 2 actual songs to be gained, though the price is higher.

Last edited by wilsmith on Fri May 30, 2014 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

O is the title of the voice stuff, hence O Reprise being some of the same.
The first part of track 9 is called something else. It's not listed on Wikipedia, but the fan forums had the name.

Looking for tha info, I looked through the page and several questions were answered. The guitarist said that the minimal thing was what they originally wanted to do with Mylo, but they did it this time. Also CM asked the other band members to start song ideas instead of it always starting from him and the rest building on it. Magic started from the bass player.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
O is the title of the voice stuff, hence O Reprise being some of the same.
The first part of track 9 is called something else. It's not listed on Wikipedia, but the fan forums had the name.

O is a song on my album, the piano based tune that starts with "Flock of Birds..." as the first line. The "Reprise" is the same song with a different arrangement.

There is a Choral ambient bonus bit at the end of O as a coda that comes in at 6:26 of O and runs till the end of at 7:46

Some people are calling O "Fly On" because that's part of the chorus that is easier to remember than calling it O. I wonder if that's a clever way of calling a song "Full Circle" without giving it that title, given the subject matter of the song being letting go and finding closure?

That leaves All Your Friends

and Ghost Story as the true bonus tracks of new material.

I can understand why they would do this as a marketing ploy but in all honesty it is a pretty crappy thing to do to fans.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Why are you so sure of this?
I think the fan site said one of the band members said what I said on the radio.
Your link to tracks are fan made. Even if they weren't that wouldn't disprove what I said.
Crappy thing to have a bonus track version?
They announced it a long time before.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>