Laughing City
StuartBuck
Sea Post King

My three younger sisters all had birthdays in the past few weeks, and I got each of them Room Noises and Combinations. The sister in Virginia emailed me right afterwards and said this:

Quote:
Thank you for the Eisley cds! I listened to one of them today and enjoyed it a lot. Kinda reminds me of Sixpence None the Richer.

Another sister in Nashville emailed me and said this:

Quote:
Hey,

Thanks so much for the Eisley CD's! I really hadn't heard them, and they are very good!!

I love their sound. They remind me a little bit of somebody else....... Sixpence None the Richer? The Corrs? I don't know.

I can't quite figure it out yet.

Anyways, thanks a bunch!

Neither of them had talked to the other one about Eisley, so they both came up with the Sixpence comparison independently. (Plus the Corrs -- don't know where THAT came from!)

Oddly enough, although I like both bands, I wouldn't have said that Eisley sounds like Sixpence. It's like when people say that Keane reminds them of Coldplay, apparently just because both bands are British. When I listen to Sixpence's The Fatherless and the Widow, or This Beautiful Mess, I hear a lot of things that are different from Eisley -- more of a folk rock style, incessant use of the same twangy guitar sound (rather than experimenting more with varied sounds), no keyboards. The melodies themselves sound different somehow, although it's hard to put into words. I could hear Eisley doing "Love" from the 1999 self-titled album, or maybe several of the songs from "Divine Discontent," but overall the two bands sound very different to me.
erico
Sea Post King

I have to agree - I've been a huge Sixpence fan for many years, and these days I listen to Eisley constantly, and I really don't think they are all that similar. Beyond female vocalists singing melodic tunes, they're pretty different. Matt Slocum's guitar sound and the strong religious bent of his songwriting, really don't bring Eisley to mind. Two great bands, but distinct...
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I agree. Eisley reminds me of Sixpence, but only in passing when it comes down to it. Those are good kinds of comparisons, though. I don't like it when you can say a band sounds like a cover band. ha ha. Influence happen, but there's a line where it becomes ripping off. Thankfully, Eisley are far from that line.

I personally think Eisley bears a striking resemblance to the Pixies. Dual vocals, great pop sense, painfully unclassifiable. Get lots of noteriety, but still a little too overlooked. But especially in the guitar attack. You have a steady rhythm guitarist (Sherri/Black Francis), layered with an insane and creative lead (Chauntelle/Joe Santiago). And both bands were innovative and unusual, but excellent.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

I'm tellin' ya! My first take on Eisley was a combination (ha) of Sixpence, Belly, and the Sundays. I think it's natural with music, as with life, to relate something new and different to your own experience and draw comparisons to what you know, then over time you begin unlocking the secrets of that group and if they're any damn good you recognize their individuality better. I still hear the parts of songs that reminded me of those groups, but Eisley presents a predominantly unique 'Eisley sound' to my ears now.
woman4life
Golly, Poster

The music is different. The vocals are similar, only Eisley has more harmonies. That was my first thought when I saw Eisley with Switchfoot, actually, was that Stacy sounded a little like Leigh Nash. I've also found that people that like Sixpence generally like Eisley.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

I never noticed much similarity. I don't think Eisley reminded me of anybody when I first heard them. Later I could hear their influences, Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Doors maybe, but that was musically not vocally. The first few notes of Winter Song and the overall sound of Sherri's "Hummingbirds" remind me of Julee Cruise/Angelo Badalamenti but I'm not sure they've ever even heard any of that.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
dD_Daz
Sea Post King

Outside the venue when we were queueing some guy who didn't know Eisley asked what they were like, and some girl in the queue said "kinda like Sixpence"... O_o

So yeah people are seeing a comparison apparently??

I last saw Eisley: The Fly, London, UK
Joined: 17 May 2006 | Posts: 88 | Location: Bourne, Lincolnshire, UK
bruceleedisciple
Golly, Poster

Like I've said before, everyone at my church refuses to like Eisley because "Ahh man!! They sound just like sixpence....what a rip off" Haha. I'll agree to the point where they sound a bit simmilar, but to say they are a rip off is pure horse poo.

www.myspace.com/georgeproject

www.purevolume.com/jesusworshiper
Joined: 02 Sep 2005 | Posts: 674 | Location: los angeles california
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

bruceleedisciple wrote:
Like I've said before, everyone at my church refuses to like Eisley because "Ahh man!! They sound just like sixpence....what a rip off" Haha. I'll agree to the point where they sound a bit simmilar, but to say they are a rip off is pure horse poo.

"Those people can go eat doggie poops!"

I'm so tempted to overuse that quote. Hm, my signature space is still empty.... Idea
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

dD_Daz wrote:
Outside the venue when we were queueing some guy who didn't know Eisley asked what they were like, and some girl in the queue said "kinda like Sixpence"... O_o

So yeah people are seeing a comparison apparently??
When I first started listening to Eisley ( RN ), I went to the MTV website and it said " If you like Eisley, then you might also like: Then it gave a couple names, the first of which was Sixpence None The Richer. So apparently the comparisons always been there!
Lynn
Golly, Poster

I wouldn't believe such sites too much, if you ask Last.fm, Rilo Kiley is the band most similar to Eisley.
I just don't like comparing, Eisley are Eisley. When I first heard them they reminded me of nobody, really. And I still can't think of anyone that resembles them.
StuartBuck
Sea Post King

woman4life wrote:
The music is different. The vocals are similar, only Eisley has more harmonies. That was my first thought when I saw Eisley with Switchfoot, actually, was that Stacy sounded a little like Leigh Nash. I've also found that people that like Sixpence generally like Eisley.
I do think the fans probably overlap a lot, so it might make sense for websites to say, "If you like Sixpence, you'll like Eisley."

I don't know about the vocal similarity, though. Again, it's hard to describe a musical sound using just words, but Leigh's voice often sounds a bit breathy or airy to me (that's the one thing that I occasionally find slightly annoying after a while), while Sherri's voice usually has more of a clear-as-a-bell, ringing tone to it (think of the beginning line to "Many Funerals"). I think it's basically a difference in vocal placement. (Speaking very tentatively, as a non-vocal-expert): Leigh sounds to me more like her voice is coming from the back of the throat, while Sherri is better at letting the voice resonate upwards.

UPDATE: Well, you actually said "Stacy" not Sherri. Her voice is a little different from Sherri's, but I still am not sure about the comparison to Leigh Nash. Again, it's hard to describe a sound with just words, but Stacy's voice is less "airy" to my ears.