Laughing City
davegahan
Sea Post King

Anyone else make it out?

Doors opened late and it was H O T Shocked in there. (I mean, it's Phoenix, so it's expected but...didn't seem the a/c was working well at all plus they had a door to the side of the stage propped open so ANY cold air there was in the place was getting sucked right out) So hot that Chauntelle had a very pronounced sweat mark where her guitar strap was not even half way through the show. Felt bad for them in that regard.

Same basic set list. Sherri said that there were only 20 pre sale tix sold so they were afraid not many people would be there.. but I estimate there were between 150 and 200.
Despite the heat, the band were very energetic and talkative tonight and the sound was loud yet crisp.

Some tidbits...

- they seemed to be having a good time throwing their water bottle caps around and at each other - Sherri hitting Stacy with one
- they mentioned how they were stuck on the bus in a traffic jam with no a/c (there was a crash on I-10 in the afternoon that shut down the interstate and brought everything to a grinding halt around downtown Phoenix. Might have had something to do with the late start)
- Stacy started "Memories" a tad too early and Sherri said "this song is called 'Memories'" even after Stacy had started the first verse. lol
- Chauntelle really rocked out tonight and later in the show complained about her in ear hurting her because it didn't fit right. d'aww.
- "I Could Be There For You" and "A Sight To Behold" continue to be super intense with the latter continuing to take on more life with Garron's clapping intro.
- Stacy screwed up the start of "I Could Be There For You"...twice and Weston had to restart the click track. She got made fun of by Sherri for that. lol

All in all a stellar show - best one I've seen them do. Got a sense that they are gaining momentum as they draw closer to home.

Cheers!

norad
Vintage Newbie

Stacy is gonna be replaced soon if she keeps messing their sets up like this.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

What was the click track for? I don't remember hearing any recordings when I listened to this song before on tour, do they just need a click track in the ear to keep time?

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
Last edited by DRMS_7888 on Sun May 18, 2008 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
norad
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
What was the click track for?

Combinations (I think), Golly Sandra, Like The Actors and If You're Wondering have them. Not sure what other songs. Like the extra instruments they have in the background. That's all I can think of as a reason.
Last edited by norad on Sun May 18, 2008 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
davegahan
Sea Post King

^pretty sure it's just a timing thing.
nothing was heard in house before she started singing ICBTFY. Noticed some bits on a couple other songs (don't remember which ones ^but the ones you said make sense) that were definitely coming from the mac though.

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I'm pretty sure Weston plays with a click to stay on time. I always assumed it was on every song, but I'm not 100 percent sure on that.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
giovanna
Lost at Forum

I was there!

Sea Post King

They mentioned the same thing about having almost no presales at the show they did six months ago and that they were glad people came. I'm not really surprised at the trend. I'm sure that most people thought of it the same way I did.

Presale tickets including fees are $18.50. At the door it's only $15. Is Eisley going to sell out? Highly unlikely, so I'll save $3.50 and just buy the ticket at the door. I'm sure that's what most people did.

They didn't play my favorite song, Brightly Wound. They didn't play it at the last show I saw them at either. But I'm not surprised, it's a minor song and most bands I see don't play my favorite songs.

I'm not a fan of the new CD and so it was a bit boring to sit though all the newer songs while waiting for the older ones. I wish I saw them back when that was their only major CD. It was fun to watch all of them play though, the girls especially seem to have a lot of fun, I think Chauntelle smiled at me. *swoon*
Binary Dragon
Sea Post King

Brightly Wound will never be played live. I've come to accept that fact, just as I'm sure the band has come to accept that I'll invariably shout it out as a request if they ask for one. I shouted it out at the in-store they did yesterday and they simply replied "It has to be one we remember how to play."

The venue was ridiculously hot. I wasn't dancing, I wasn't in the giant throng of people right up close, but there were still many multiple times I had to wipe off the sweat that was streaming down my forehead. It was cooler outside, and that's quite an accomplishment as outside was still over 90 degrees by 12:30am.

My biggest complaint about the show was that the seemed so rushed during it. The first 7 or 8 songs were played back to back with barely any break in between, sometimes not even waiting for the applause to die down fully. I missed the nervous chatting Eisley that I've seen in other shows. I don't know if it's this tour, or just that show, but it seemed really off to me.

That said, they were totally on fire last night, Chauntelle especially. I swear she was rocking enough for the whole band.

I have video of all the songs from that show, and the acoustic show in the afternoon, with the exception of Golly Sandra, during which I took the opportunity to take some photographs instead of video. I'll link to the youtube versions once they're up.

Sea Post King

It's too bad (for me) that they don't like Brightly Wound enough the even want to remember how to play it. That combined with my almost complete dislike for the new CD I guess the Eisley members have a very different taste from mine for their own music.

Portishead too, it's too bad.
norad
Vintage Newbie

Maybe they are all worn out. I think they are itching to go home at this point too.
sebas
Golly, Poster

I absolutely adore brightly wound. Sad

Can't imagine why they would not want to play it.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

sebas wrote:

wasn't it one of the older songs on Room Noises that the label pushed to put on the album that the band wasn't crazy about?

norad
Vintage Newbie

Square Dog wrote:
I'm not a fan of the new CD and so it was a bit boring to sit though all the newer songs while waiting for the older ones.

You went to see a show on the "Combinations" tour. What did you expect?

bigideas wrote:
sebas wrote:

wasn't it one of the older songs on Room Noises that the label pushed to put on the album that the band wasn't crazy about?

That sounds familiar. I think maybe so.
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

Binary Dragon wrote:
Brightly Wound will never be played live. I've come to accept that fact, just as I'm sure the band has come to accept that I'll invariably shout it out as a request if they ask for one. I shouted it out at the in-store they did yesterday and they simply replied "It has to be one we remember how to play."

I have 2 live recordings of Brightly Wound, but they are from a long long time ago. According to the file names, one is from the first concert after they changed their name to just Eisley (so, 2003, right?), and the other is from February of '05.

#54 and 141 on SYP.