Laughing City
JohnS
Sea Post King

I was at the Portland and not having seen Eisley live for at least 3 years I was expecting something intense. Instead I found them to be flat and bored..Only Chauntelle and Weston seemed to be real and having fun, everyone else looked like they were just going through the motions. OK so the harmonies worked, but I could`nt see the soul of the band.

The band has such a powerful sound, but the delivery in Portland was halfhearted. There seemed to be a lack of passion, almost like they were`nt into it or having fun.

I have always believed that the band can grow to become great, they have the right foundations. But in 3 years I don`t think that they have come very far.

Don`t get me wrong they still are very good, but given the time that they have had to grow and evolve their music, I can`t say the Eisley that I saw the other night in Porltand was much better than say Hanson.

Sherri, your sister was super, she was real, she looked like she was really trying. Then after the first verse you pushed her backstage..That seemed rude and pretentious. You were trying to be a rockstar, but I don`t why you were`nt convincing. I preferred the nervous tenderness in your sisters voice.

Anyway to cut a long story short...

Find your soul guys, find your style, be passionate, be real!

The Portland performance was weak..You might be able to thrill some people, but you know that if you want to be on a level with Cold Play or Snow Patrol you need to step it up.

Maybe you`re all into cookie cutter factory that is a big label..Either way I hope you get good advice.

Good luck.
norad
Vintage Newbie

JohnS wrote:
Sherri, your sister was super, she was real, she looked like she was really trying. Then after the first verse you pushed her backstage..That seemed rude and pretentious. You were trying to be a rockstar, but I don`t why you were`nt convincing. I preferred the nervous tenderness in your sisters voice.

She was being silly with her sister. Rolling Eyes
She's been carrying her off stage the whole tour. She's only been singing the first verse of the song the whole tour.
Last edited by norad on Mon May 12, 2008 8:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Well, they are playing 40-something shows on this tour, so they're bound to get tired. I think people mistake the lack of them hopping around everywhere as some kind of lack of enthusiasm. I find it to be genuine, but also a product of them being glued to a microphone or keyboard for the entire show. Garron and Chauntelle are the only ones who could really get around much. Chauntelle does plenty of action, and Garron rarely has a lot of space. On another note, Sherri was working it when I saw them in Des Moines. I've never seen her do so much on stage.

They've never been big on rock star posturing, and I hope they keep it that way. I think their stage show has improved dramatically from the first time I saw them (November 2003). 30 shows later, and they keep getting better. Actually, the performance I saw at my 30th show (in Des Moines) was one of the best I've seen as far as stage presence goes. And the Christie thing is just them having fun. I thought it was funny.

But you're free to feel whatever way you want, so that's fine. And I'm not going to deny that maybe they were just zoned out for a night. Just I think they have massively improved on stage.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
Last edited by TheAntrider on Mon May 12, 2008 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

I went to two shows in two nights, so maybe it's blurred together, but I thought they were just fine in Portland. Sherri really got into it, I noticed her putting her hand on her head a lot when she sang, and I love when she does that bending over thing while she plays. The crowd in Portland was pretty weak compared to Seattle. Maybe that's why they weren't as active, because the crowd wasn't giving them a whole lot of energy to feed off. Plus the venue in Portland was somewhat big, and there was a ton of open space on the floor and above everyones head, in Seattle it was a tiny place with low ceilings so it was more intimate and easier to feed off the crowds energy.

I've only seen them on two tours, though, this and the Mute Math tour, so I don't know how they were 3 years ago, except from what I've seen from live videos.
Tim Kim
Sea Post King

Everyone is entitled to their interpretation of live shows (like Jamie said). But I have to say this... Snow Patrol were a bunch of statues when I saw them, THEY looked completely bored/tired/other not-so-friendly adjectives.

EDIT: I have seen Eisley three times here in Sacramento and their performance has been the same.. nothing to complain about. Nothing can really beat listening to their music in a live surrounding. I guess I'll have to "report" after their show in Sacramento (which is tonight....technically)

change is happening.
Joined: 27 Apr 2006 | Posts: 305 | Location: Sacramento, Caluhfournia
Last edited by Tim Kim on Mon May 12, 2008 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
WindFromTheOcean
Golly, Poster

Without day offs, what do you expect? Rolling Eyes

"As an artist... I feel that we must try many things - but above all, we must dare to fail. You must have the courage to be bad - to be willing to risk everything to really express it all..."
Joined: 16 Aug 2007 | Posts: 948 | Location: Cebu Rock City, Philippines baby!!
Tim Kim
Sea Post King

Eh... I hate editing multiple times.. but welcome to the LC by the way!

change is happening.
Joined: 27 Apr 2006 | Posts: 305 | Location: Sacramento, Caluhfournia
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

JohnS wrote:
The Portland performance was weak..You might be able to thrill some people, but you know that if you want to be on a level with Cold Play or Snow Patrol you need to step it up.

I'm not saying that bands don't fluctuate in quality from night to night (every musician does), but this part was just too funny, Laughing

I don't know how pretending to be Coldplay pretending to be U2 constitutes a level higher than Eisley's musicianship. All I see is a band going through the motions with about 100 times Eisley's stage budget.

If you had said Queen or Jeff Buckley, I might have agreed with you.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
davegahan
Sea Post King

^yeah, Coldplay and Snow Patrol aren't prime examples.

That being said, I agree with some of what JohnS mentioned.
I don't know if they are "going through the motions" but I've seen them 3x and every show has been relatively the same. The talent is there no doubt so you'd think that since they could relatively "go through the motions" of playing (obviously they aren't going to do any guitar or drum solos), they could really work on the "performance" aspect of their shows.

If you (any band) want good audience participation, sometimes you have to earn it. A few "thanks guys" peppered in between songs doesn't amount to connecting with your audience as well as walking off the stage at the end of the show like it's a fire drill. Little things like smiling, eye contact with people in the audience (instead of looking at your intruments all the time or having your eyes closed), banter/story sharing with the audience, clapping/getting the audience to clap (which was done very well by Garron on "A Sight To Behold" in Des Moines) or jump or whatever - these things go a long way.

Some of the best shows I've been to have been artists I wasn't that big a fan of but became one due to their enthusiasm and connection with the audience.

I saw Josh Ritter on Saturday and the guy (and his band) just oozed enthusiasm. I don't think the grin on Josh's face ebbed away for a second. He had great banter with the audience and it just pumped the energy in the room up through the roof.

Granted, looooong tours, doing press at odd hours, sickness, being on the road and cramped on a bus, and weeks gone by without a significant amount of days off can definitely hamper the spirit but... you're only on stage for an hour and a half a night. If you can't muster enough energy for that small amount of time, well.. that's something you need to work on.

Maybe it's a case of "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak?" Wink

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

The Sherri kicking Christie off the stage bit looked rude and pretencious because that's how they staged it, as a joke. You didn't get that?

Garron keeps it real and looks subdued but you want him to act more passionate. Sherri shows some passion but you say she's faking it and she should be more real.

You say they're cookie-cutter, and tell them to aspire to be more like Snow Patrol, one of the most cookie-cutter bands there is.

There may be a little validaty to some of what you said but for the most part your post doesn't hold much weight with me and I hope it doesn't with the band either.

Also the fact that there was already a thread about the Portland show but you decided to make your very own thread with your "critique" makes you look arrogant.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
Last edited by Nowhere Man on Tue May 13, 2008 3:11 am; edited 2 times in total
MichaelMakeArt
Sea Post King

As everyone else has said, doing a tour with almost no days off is very strenuous. Eisley delivers at every show, no matter what. But lets face it. What are tours? They help earn the band money, show the fans their love, and spread the word about how awesome Eisley truly is. Record sales are down across the board, and Eisley isn't a HUGE band, so they don't get a lot from the BIG audience. So they tour to show others how amazing they really are, and show their fans how much they appreciate them. But how much can we expect from Eisley? They can't be perfect, and we as fans have high expectations and put pressure on the band to be better than the rest. Thats a lot to handle. And plus, we don't know the fam personally - we have no idea what goes on in their personal lives. We have to respect that distance too, as it may affect their shows and their life as a whole.

When I went to the D.C. show at 9:30, they didn't talk all night. There was the initial "Hi, were Eisley, we are a band from Tyler, Texas, and we are happy to be here" but other than that, silence. Mind you, I left half way through the show due to an early curfue, but from what I saw they were awesome. I have seen them before, at Sonar in Baltimore last year, where they were a lot more talkative and energized. At D.C. they seemed a little tired, but the show was so much more enriching then the Baltimore show. Eisley has grown since, becoming so much more confident in their definite sound. Eisley gets better and better with every tour, and we just need to respect their journey, as it gets harder, as they get more tired, and as their music experiences it's growing pains.

And it's not about the amount of energy you can muster for one show. Go to the youtube video for Go Away at Boston, MA. Sherri and Stacy's voices sound strained and tired. It's human, and who could expect anything else of them. The participation of the band with the crowd is situational, and it depends on a lot of variables. I respect the opinions of those disappointed by the lack of talking, but please respect them for all of their effort.
sootandstars
Sea Post King

Wow...go easy on them. You have to factor in how much they've been touring, being away from other family/friends, and just personal stuff. They aren't only "Eisley" they've got their own seperate lives from the band.
Look each other in the eye
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

I was suprised at how passionate sherri sounded at teh chicago show. She was doing that hand in head thing and the leaning over guitar playing dealy.

It was great.

I was mearly suprised simply because of what the songs had to deal with in reguard to her past. I am sure some of them (combinations anyone?) are hard for her to sing.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
WindFromTheOcean
Golly, Poster

mr pine wrote:

I was mearly suprised simply because of what the songs had to deal with in reguard to her past. I am sure some of them (combinations anyone?) are hard for her to sing.

yes that song.. the lyrics.. tsk.. Sherri could relate to that.. so hard.. *sigh*

"As an artist... I feel that we must try many things - but above all, we must dare to fail. You must have the courage to be bad - to be willing to risk everything to really express it all..."
Joined: 16 Aug 2007 | Posts: 948 | Location: Cebu Rock City, Philippines baby!!
lazerbith
Sea Post King

dear poster,
they're not a punk or hardcore band. im not sure what you're expecting.
they dance jigs on stage more than they ever have in the past. every band has their own personality.
with that said, it would be fancy it they would all adopt stacys mega amazing eye contact with the crowd. shes sorta the only one who does it. no big deal though.