Laughing City
Jared x
Lost at Forum

Lady of the Woods? Plural, eh?

I wish Kristen would sing a song with them. I'd definitely love to see that at the San Antonio show, although I doubt it'd happen.

norad
Vintage Newbie

Jared x wrote:

Wood. I think the S is a typo?
Jared x
Lost at Forum

patrock wrote:
Jared x wrote:

Wood. I think the S is a typo?

Yeah, I figured, especially since some other set list someone else posted a while ago was all kinds of wonky.

Bamified
Sea Post King

My second Eisley show, and I am ever so happy that they came to my hometown (however small and dingy it is!). I thought that the first show I went to last year in Vegas was much better though, but I think that's because the audience was a third of the size than it was in The Glass House (and also in an arcade o.o), so they were able to be far more intimate than they already are. But then again, I could be biased for thinking that that show was better simply because it was my birthday and I was able to meet them that night :o And to top it all, they took a picture with me and signed a tote with their names and a "Happy Birthday!" on it <3!

Loved Northern, Vedera, (wasn't really feeling Myriad :x) and Christie! I didn't even know she existed until they brought her out @.@ I was thinking, "Who is this girl...? My, she sounds awfully like Sherri...!" Pure love for the DuPrees. I so, so, badly want to see them again, and I cannot wait T_T

And on a final note, is anyone else in love with Sherri's hair? Well, I pretty much love Sherri period, which I yelled to her as she was walking backstage after Trolleywood ._.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Glad you had fun! Sherri's hair is always rad. ha ha.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
murlough23
Sea Post King

Ack, how could I have forgotten that they played "Invasion"? That's one of my favorites!

Interesting that the final song was planned to be "If You're Wondering". That's one of the few that I haven't heard live. Wonder why they changed it? And why Weston elected to not participate?

I should stick up for The Myriad since someone else said they weren't feeling them. I was totally feeling them, but then, I became a fan during their opening slot for David Crowder Band last fall, so I already had the CD and everything. I think they pack a lot of sonic punch in a live setting, compared to a lot of rock bands I like with similar experimental/electronic influences that show themselves on record, but get mushed behind the drums and bass when they play live. The Myriad's live sound is very clear, but also rather intense and colorful, which I love.

That said, it was a travesty that they didn't play "A Thousand Winters Melting".
nevernever
Laughing Citizen

murlough23 wrote:
Interesting that the final song was planned to be "If You're Wondering". That's one of the few that I haven't heard live. Wonder why they changed it? And why Weston elected to not participate?

they changed it because everyone was screaming for Trolleywood.
and Weston doesn't play during If You're Wondering. he was there for Trolleywood.
Joined: 10 Nov 2005 | Posts: 1692 | Location: orange county, ca
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
norad
Vintage Newbie

Everyone walked off stage but Stacy and Sherri during If You're wondering 'cause they aren't playing anything.
murlough23
Sea Post King

nevernever wrote:
they changed it because everyone was screaming for Trolleywood.
and Weston doesn't play during If You're Wondering. he was there for Trolleywood.

He was? I didn't see him behind the drum kit or hear any percussion aside from the audience clapping to keep the beat. Did he move?

I kind of had crappy visibility since I was off to the right - great view of Chauntelle and Stacy, but like I said, I couldn't see what Garron was doing during "Combinations". So for all I know, Weston could have been hiding behind a speaker or something.

Then again, Weston can't really hide behind anything.
Bamified
Sea Post King

As far as The Myriad goes, when they first started with the tambourine I was completely enjoying the tambourine beat, but then I don't know what happened - for me, it went downhill :( Usually I enjoy a bit of the experimental taste. I think I was just way too hyped for Eisley :x

Did anyone else notice that the violinist broke the strings in his bow when he was waving it around :o

Now for the whole Weston/Trolleywood/encore thing, the bands had to leave the venue promptly by 11:30; the venue shuts down at 12:30. Eisley, (God bless them all!) were already cutting it close by playing all the songs they played and they needed time to clean up and get their gear out of there. Sherri was asking Weston if they could fit in Trolleywood, asking Weston if they should do a drum solo or not. I think she finally asked him if he could just keep tempo. I love that they tried to play as long as they could :D

My goal is to stand next to Weston the next time I see them and compare our heights >.> I'm 18 and 4'11 and three quarters o.o (The more numbers the better!)
murlough23
Sea Post King

Bamified wrote:
As far as The Myriad goes, when they first started with the tambourine I was completely enjoying the tambourine beat, but then I don't know what happened - for me, it went downhill Sad Usually I enjoy a bit of the experimental taste. I think I was just way too hyped for Eisley Mad

I can understand that, since I tend to get impatient with opening bands when I'm not familiar with their music - and I generally don't have time to familiarize myself with everyone's music before going to a concert. When I saw David Crowder Band last year, I didn't even know until that night that there were two openers on the bill - it was a very unusual occurrence that I ended up liking The Myriad as a result of their performance there, because I normally don't come out with a favorable opinion of a band in such a scenario. For me, at this show, The Myriad was one of the bands that I specifically came to see, so obviously my reaction was very different, being able to compare the studio versions of songs to how they were played live (they were pretty faithful to the studio versions, as Eisley generally is, but some of that stuff took a bit of effort, switching instruments during songs, or finding inventive ways to emulate sounds that can't exactly reproduce outside of the studio, in order to perform it). They did use some pre-programmed drum tracks on some of the more electronica-oriented numbers, but that didn't stop their drummer from kicking ass.

In general, I think there oughta be a limit on the number of opening bands on a given tour. It should generally be assumed that most of us don't know the openers from Adam, nor do we usually care to sit through 3 hours of music we're not familiar with (including the time it takes to reset the stage and so forth for every single band) in order to get to 1 1/2 hours of the music we came to hear. I'm all for being exposed to something new at a concert, but I think one opening band is sufficient, thank you very much.

And I'm sure that Vedera and The Envy Corps could very well be quality bands - no offense intended to those guys, but since the Glass House was nice enough to post a schedule and we hadn't eaten dinner yet, we opted to take our time and return right around when The Myriad was set to get started.

Bamified wrote:
Did anyone else notice that the violinist broke the strings in his bow when he was waving it around Surprised

It wasn't a violin. He was playing an electric guitar with a bow, much like Sigur Ros does (which is likely where they got the idea). It gets a haunting, wailing sort of sound out of the guitar, which works for the more ambient sound that they're going for. I think it's normal that playing on metal strings with a bow will shred the bow after a short amount of time, which is why he kept grabbing new ones.

Bamified wrote:
Now for the whole Weston/Trolleywood/encore thing, the bands had to leave the venue promptly by 11:30; the venue shuts down at 12:30. Eisley, (God bless them all!) were already cutting it close by playing all the songs they played and they needed time to clean up and get their gear out of there. Sherri was asking Weston if they could fit in Trolleywood, asking Weston if they should do a drum solo or not. I think she finally asked him if he could just keep tempo. I love that they tried to play as long as they could Very Happy

They certainly fit in a lot of songs, and my intent was not to complain about missing out on something - I think it's great that a band can change their setlist on the fly when fans are clamoring for a certain song. Then again, I really liked it when I was at a Jars of Clay show a year and a half ago, and they didn't cave in to all of the cries to play "Worlds Apart", opting to encore with some more of their newer stuff that most fans hadn't heard them play live yet instead. Sorry dudes, but if you wanted to hear that band play one of their classic songs, you could have gone to any other concert of theirs within the last 10 years. But "Trolley Wood" hasn't been around for nearly as long yet, and apparently it was a favorite among this particular bunch of fans, so that's cool. If it was 10 years later and Eisley had put out 7 or 8 mind-blowing albums in the meantime, and people were still only screaming requests for "Trolley Wood" and not seeming to care about the new stuff, then that might get on my nerves.

Personally, every time I see a band, I like to hear them play stuff I've never heard them play live before, but during this show I got that - "One Day I Slowly Floated Away", "Combinations", "Like the Actors", "Sun Feet", and "Lady of the Wood" (the last of which I'd never heard in any form!) - so I'm not going to complain about "If You're Wondering" getting chucked in favor of a song everyone really wanted to hear. (Well, except for my wife. She says "Trolley Wood" gets on her nerves. I'm not sure why.)

My point was just to say that it was odd to see them ask Weston if he could keep time, only for him to (seemingly) disappear during the actual performance of the song they were asking him to keep time on. Maybe they meant "keep time" as in "watch the clock and be sure we don't take too long" rather than "keep a beat for us"?
norad
Vintage Newbie

murlough23 wrote:
Bamified wrote:
Did anyone else notice that the violinist broke the strings in his bow when he was waving it around Surprised

It wasn't a violin. He was playing an electric guitar with a bow, much like Sigur Ros does (which is likely where they got the idea).

Or he got it from Jimmy Page. Or both...
murlough23
Sea Post King

patrock wrote:
Or he got it from Jimmy Page.

Not knowing much about Jimmy Page, I couldn't say. It could be a bit of both. I didn't mean to suggest that Sigur Ros originated the idea; just that they're a common influence among "ambient rock" bands who sometimes use the technique (Future of Forestry would be another example). Radiohead's another common one, though I think Sigur Ros has influenced Radiohead somewhat, but not specifically regarding the bowed guitar playing thing, since Radiohead doesn't do that.
Bamified
Sea Post King

The whereabouts of Weston will never be known to us at this point D: Maybe he was running for cover away from the many people willing to slap his bottom o.o

I also enjoyed listening to the never-before-heard material, and of course the intros to their old songs. I still have yet to see them play Plenty of Paper, but I think my chances are slim now :x

I so thought that it was some type of electric violin. Interesting that he used a guitar instead. And yes, I'd love to see Sigur Ros as well. Hoppipolla is so wonderful to play on the keyboard/piano!
norad
Vintage Newbie

murlough23 wrote:
patrock wrote:
Or he got it from Jimmy Page.

Not knowing much about Jimmy Page, I couldn't say.

I don't know much about him either. Ha. Just that he did that bow and guitar thing in the 70s.