Laughing City
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Why the hate for Gwen Stefani? You might hate her music but she started in a garage band with her brother and kids she went to school with. She writes all her own songs and puts on a heck of a show. It's not like some record producer picked some model to turn into a pop star with a staff of writers, coreographers and mercenary musicians. She's paid her dues and worked hard. Granted I haven't really kept up with her new stuff or really much of the No Doubt era stuff either. The Live In The Tragic Kingdom concert video is pretty awesome though.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
johnip
Vintage Newbie

No Doubt was good. New stuff... not so much. B A N A N A S~!!!
Vintage Newbie

Nowhere Man wrote:
Why the hate for Gwen Stefani?

I doubt they really thought it out, just the first person that came to mind.

What song brings to mind Travis I'm wondering?

oliez
Vintage Newbie

Nowhere Man wrote:
The Live In The Tragic Kingdom concert video is pretty awesome though.

by far one of my favorite live dvds to watch. great times.
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

They weren't putting the hate on Gwen, they were saying that the revenue from a $5 music tax on ISPs would be funneled towards the biggest selling artists first, and she's definitely in that category.
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

oliez wrote:
Nowhere Man wrote:
The Live In The Tragic Kingdom concert video is pretty awesome though.

by far one of my favorite live dvds to watch. great times.

The Imperial March/Move On/Ghost Town section is friggin epic. Favorite part: "Put your hands up in the air!" -killer lead guitar- "Don't be afraid..."

grain thrower wrote:
They weren't putting the hate on Gwen, they were saying that the revenue from a $5 music tax on ISPs would be funneled towards the biggest selling artists first, and she's definitely in that category.

True. I've gotten the impression from something before that they don't care much for her though, which is fine. I just wanted to mention Live In The Tragic Kingdom hehe.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

Nowhere Man wrote:

grain thrower wrote:

True. I've gotten the impression from something before that they don't care much for her though, which is fine. I just wanted to mention Live In The Tragic Kingdom hehe.

Can't fault you for that. Smile I enjoyed slices of the pre-"Hey Baby" No Doubt, although of course they got way too much airplay, back in the BIP radio days (Before IPod). "A Simple Kind of Life" was a great, underappreciated single, probably my favorite ND song.

Caley
Lost at Forum

I love me some Travis! I haven't listened to them in ages though... *Runs off to find her copy of 12 Memories.*
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Caley wrote:
I love me some Travis! I haven't listened to them in ages though... *Runs off to find her copy of 12 Memories.*

you must have missed The Boy With No Name - out last year.

i think Boyd described Trolleywood as Travis-esque, but this was in it's more fleshed out early live form. It had a slight country feel, though Travis is not country......or maybe it didn't.

hmm.........are there any live recordings of full band pre-Room Noises Trolleywood?

Jared x
Lost at Forum

bigideas wrote:
Caley wrote:

you must have missed The Boy With No Name - out last year.

I know I sure did. Sad I've gotten three of their others, but I never got around to getting that one.

I never knew there was a version of Trolleywood with the band. I would love to hear if it anyone has it.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Jared x wrote:

I never knew there was a version of Trolleywood with the band. I would love to hear if it anyone has it.

I'm pretty sure I heard it one time at a Brewtones show when it may have been a fairly new song. I believe it stuck out because of the 'hallelujahs' in it.

kristal
Sea Post King

i didn't realize that the band didn't make Any money from their record sales. i guess it was pointless then to buy 3 of the Room Noises vinyl records.
Joined: 27 Apr 2006 | Posts: 104 | Location: los angeles, ca
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

kristal wrote:
i didn't realize that the band didn't make Any money from their record sales. i guess it was pointless then to buy 3 of the Room Noises vinyl records.

you don't really make money from record sales unless you sell a lot of records, however, the record label does, so the more records Eisley sells the more the label will do for them most likely.

from what i understand touring is where most artists make a living.

kristal
Sea Post King

bigideas wrote:
kristal wrote:

you don't really make money from record sales unless you sell a lot of records, however, the record label does, so the more records Eisley sells the more the label will do for them most likely.

i read off of someone's xanga (so i don't know the validity of the statement), but this girl said that she spoke to boyd and claimed that they had to rent their own bus so they were barely breaking even. if that's the case, how do they make any profit at all? this may or may not be a rhetorical question.
Joined: 27 Apr 2006 | Posts: 104 | Location: los angeles, ca
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

kristal wrote:
bigideas wrote:
kristal wrote:

i read off of someone's xanga (so i don't know the validity of the statement), but this girl said that she spoke to boyd and claimed that they had to rent their own bus so they were barely breaking even. if that's the case, how do they make any profit at all? this may or may not be a rhetorical question.

i have no idea. i've just read that generally for most musicians/bands over the years in interviews, etc. there are different situations for everyone.