52%
 52%  [ 10 ]
Death And All His Friends
47%
 47%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 19

Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

There's a vinyl post and a coldplay thread about other things but i couldn't find a place for us to share thoughts about Coldplay's new cd on opening day so i hope this is ok..

What do yall think of it?

After listening to it 2 and a half times I'm excited over it! SPLENDID!

Last edited by Unregistered on Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

I find it somehow even more boring and more pretentious than their previous release.
DistortedSound
Sea Post King

I don't like their new cd. I think X&Y is a million times better. The only song I like form it is Violet Hill. I thought the rest of songs were gonna be like it. I guess they just wanted to try something new.
Joined: 27 Jul 2005 | Posts: 107 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kirk
Sea Post King

JBaker wrote:
I find it somehow even more boring and more pretentious than their previous release.

I thought the single, "Viva la Vida," was great, and pre-ordered the album. As for the other dozen songs, some are good, but mostly I'm disappointed. It's OK though, I've got another pre-ordered album coming out very soon, Sigur Rós's með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust. And thanks to extensive previews, I know I'll love it.
Joined: 05 Jul 2003 | Posts: 374 | Location: Seattle, Washington
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Everything about this album is so much better than X&Y, yet it's still almost impossible to listen to because of Chris Martin's stupid $#@! lyrics and rhymes.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

Kirk wrote:
JBaker wrote:

I thought the single, "Viva la Vida," was great, and pre-ordered the album. As for the other dozen songs, some are good, but mostly I'm disappointed. It's OK though, I've got another pre-ordered album coming out very soon, Sigur Rós's með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust. And thanks to extensive previews, I know I'll love it.

I thought the cut of Viva La Vida in the iTunes commercial was a lot better than the full version, sadly.

For some reason, I also had high hopes for this album. I liked that iTunes commercial, I thought Violet Hill was alright, but the rest of it just bored me to death. I liked Coldplay a lot better when they were called U2.

Meh, that joke works better with Creed and Pearl Jam.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

ah, here's the interview i mentioned in the other thread.
i enjoyed it

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/21185368

especially this Laughing :

What was his (brian eno) assessment of the band?
He goes, "Your songs are too long. And you're too repetitive, and you use the same tricks too much, and big things aren't necessarily good things, and you use the same sounds too much, and your lyrics are not good enough." He broke it down.

BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

Maybe it's because I played AROBTTH way too much back in the day, but I like this record better than it (and X&Y, ldo)

Each song is solid, imo.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

BNROCKS wrote:
Maybe it's because I played AROBTTH way too much back in the day, but I like this record better than it (and X&Y, ldo)

Each song is solid, imo.

Those who are dead are not dead
They’re just living in my head oh…
And since I fell for that spell
I am living there as well oh…

Time is so short and I’m sure
There must be something more

You thought you might be a ghost
You didn’t get to heaven but you made it close

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

I'm not picky enough to let one aspect of a song ruin it for me Wink
golly andrew
Laughing Citizen

Quote:
He goes, "Your songs are too long. And you're too repetitive, and you use the same tricks too much, and big things aren't necessarily good things, and you use the same sounds too much, and your lyrics are not good enough." He broke it down.

I had to google this Eno fellow. This is how I felt about X&Y. If most songs were cut buy 60-90 seconds I'd like them more. It would fix almost everything wrong with Coldplay, the repetitiveness, bland lyrics, etc.

The title track is the only song I could willingly listen to. I think it's annoying how some tracks aren't split when they hardly even connect to each other ("Yes", maybe another). A lame attempt at going for "epic".
Joined: 23 Mar 2005 | Posts: 1919 | Location: In a glass case of emotion
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

golly andrew wrote:
Quote:

I had to google this Eno fellow. This is how I felt about X&Y. If most songs were cut buy 60-90 seconds I'd like them more. It would fix almost everything wrong with Coldplay, the repetitiveness, bland lyrics, etc.

The title track is the only song I could willingly listen to. I think it's annoying how some tracks aren't split when they hardly even connect to each other ("Yes", maybe another). A lame attempt at going for "epic".

Come on, that's like the worst track. Nothing like cheesy string pizz. and synth/compressed timpani to add to intensity!

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
pumamina
Golly, Poster

DRMS_7888 wrote:
BNROCKS wrote:

Each song is solid, imo.

I actually like this rymm, i love all the songs but yeah viva la vida is the best one

KH Vandread
Sea Post King

Honestly, I myself rather enjoy it. I've never been a particularly huge Coldplay fan before, having only heard some of their songs on the radio and liking them enough, but the iTunes commercial got me interested in the album and I've been listening to it quite often since getting it. Picking favorites, I'd have to go with Lost!, Viva La Vida, Violet Hill, Cemeteries of London and Death and All His Friends. Apart from those, the other's are not too bad, but I definitely agree that the needed to split some of the tracks (Lovers in Japan/Reign of Love, Yes, Death and All His Friends, etc) in two.
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
BNROCKS wrote:

Each song is solid, imo.

Are all of the lyrics that vapid and contrived? I haven't even decided whether or not to waste my time torrenting it.

The funny thing about X&Y was that I didn't hate it that much (though I immediately felt its inferiority to previous releases) until I began to read interviews with Chris Martin. I try not to base my opinion of a work on my feelings about the artist, but sometimes their personality shines through in an invasive manner.