Laughing City
starnothing
Laughing Citizen

Saw them on the Brand New tour.

"Mister Pine" stood out to me. But when I went home that night and remembered Chauntelle telling people to go to eisley.com (and spelling it out, hehe) I was like "dangit, I didn't pay attention to the name of that song" so I downloaded a few and listened to all of them and eventually figured out it was Mister Pine... that song just sounds so good live, and fun.

Hooked ever since. Wink
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

it has been so long, i'm not sure i can remember exactly, but i will try.

my friend's younger sister was dating a drummer in a band.
that band was Uncle Andrew.
i was interested in music enough to check them out live.
Uncle Andrew was fronted by Taylor Muse (now Quiet Company).
Uncle Andrew had a website and there were some other related websites all made by the same crew and i believe that is how i became aware of Moss Eisley.
i know at some point Taylor played bass in Moss.
what i'm not sure is where that comes in the time line of things - if he played bass for them before uncle andrew or after (or maybe simultaneously)?

i saw the earlier website and i thought it was really cool that there was this Christian family that liked a lot of the things i did - OK Computer, The Beatles, etc, because in my life no one i knew liked these things, especially not the people i went to church with.

i don't know if i was blown away by those older recordings at first, but i was interested enough to keep up with them and the website.

i can vaguely remember hearing the Midlake produced version of Mr Pine and thinking that was really cool while i was sitting at a computer in MTSU's library. that might have been what really made me take them seriously as musicians.

i would guess all of these events came to pass some time between 1999 and 2001.

i really wonder if the original Moss Eisley messageboard is somewhere on the world wide web. it was one of those free messageboards that anyone could do and it had ad space on the top.

lookingXglass
Golly, Poster

I was watching music videos on AOL music on demand (a digital cable channel) on the alternative section and saw a song titled "Invasion"- eisley. I thought it sounded cool so I listened to it. I loved it so much and immediately went to my computer to look up "Eisley" on youtube. I listened to "Memories" and "Marvelous Things" and fell in love with their music. It was especially cool though because before that I was primarily listening to rock. I started getting more into alternative, techno, ambient, and indie after that.
Joined: 28 Dec 2007 | Posts: 807 | Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
kellyvsshark
Sea Post King

lookingXglass wrote:
I started getting more into alternative, techno, ambient, and indie after that.

I was the same way, Eisley definatley opened my mind to a much wider variety of music and made me more appreciative of different genres
eisleyfan14203
Sea Post King

I was on yahoo music launch and they popped up with marvelous things, I exited it out but then like a few songs later they came back up again and i still was like no this isnt my style so a third time i was like...someone is telling me somthing so I listened and loved it so I got some of their other stuff and before I knew it I was hanging pictures of sherri and stacy,chauntelle,john and weston in my locker with a peice of paper that said "the greatest band ever..."

follow me Smile
Cendrillon
Golly, Poster

I was making a *photo essay* for photography class and was looking for a song to do my pictures to. Someone recommended Telescope Eyes. I didn't really like it. Eventually I went back to listen to some of their other songs. I clicked on Golly Sandra, and I'm like, Hey, this is not like that other song at all (in a better way). But after that I liked them a lot ^_^
juan_diego
Sea Post King

bigideas wrote:
it has been so long, i'm not sure i can remember exactly, but i will try.

my friend's younger sister was dating a drummer in a band.
that band was Uncle Andrew.
i was interested in music enough to check them out live.
Uncle Andrew was fronted by Taylor Muse (now Quiet Company).
Uncle Andrew had a website and there were some other related websites all made by the same crew and i believe that is how i became aware of Moss Eisley.
i know at some point Taylor played bass in Moss.
what i'm not sure is where that comes in the time line of things - if he played bass for them before uncle andrew or after (or maybe simultaneously)?

i saw the earlier website and i thought it was really cool that there was this Christian family that liked a lot of the things i did - OK Computer, The Beatles, etc, because in my life no one i knew liked these things, especially not the people i went to church with.

i don't know if i was blown away by those older recordings at first, but i was interested enough to keep up with them and the website.

i can vaguely remember hearing the Midlake produced version of Mr Pine and thinking that was really cool while i was sitting at a computer in MTSU's library. that might have been what really made me take them seriously as musicians.

i would guess all of these events came to pass some time between 1999 and 2001.

i really wonder if the original Moss Eisley messageboard is somewhere on the world wide web. it was one of those free messageboards that anyone could do and it had ad space on the top.

This Midlake produced version of Mr. Pine that you speak of, is it the 6 minute long version that was on EP1?

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

juan_diego wrote:
This Midlake produced version of Mr. Pine that you speak of, is it the 6 minute long version that was on EP1?

i don't remember how long it was. it's the only studio sounding version - i think Midlake recorded it at their house (like they've done with both of their albums). any other version you hear is live - unless some later 'professional' studio version has leaked that i'm not aware of. i'm sure it was probably recorded or attempted during the early ep's and maybe later though - confirmation may be burried amongst Boyd's Journal postings. (i do remember specifically them recording Sun Feet with strings during the LC EP sessions).

i'm not sure that would be considered EP1 as it was done later than those original recordings of Blackened Crown, etc.

mermaidentwined
Sea Post King

greatgood wrote:
I liked their name. I thought it sounded cool. I didn't know it was from Star Wars. I bought Room Noises when I was still in high school. This was...2005 I believe. Then I told all my friends.

this was pretty much the same thing that happened to me
i loved their pure sounding voices

lessthaninfinite
Sea Post King

i saw them on the brand new tour back in november 2003, and thought they were pretty good, but forgot about them and never put any effort into hearing more of their music until about 2 years later, when i rediscovered them and have been in love ever since
sweeeeet
Golly, Poster

I saw an article about them in a music magazine about 6 years ago, and loved the way they looked in the picture. I was in Borders anyway so I looked for their EP and found it, and listened in the store, and HATED IT at first! I could not figure them out! What style of music was this? It wasn't rock, it wasn't pop, it wasn't alternative............but I fell in love with them because their the underdogs. They work tirelessly on their amazing music, still live at home in Tyler......they are just different enough than everyone else thats why I love them so much now.
seansy
Sea Post King

Yea weird the way i got Room Noises was, i had a friend who some how hated Room Noises but loved the the Laughing City EP he had before he got Room Noises. He gave it to me for free. I Cant see how anyone can hate such a great album.
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
jasperGirl
Sea Post King

I love Mute Math (yes, I know this is Eisleyland, bear with me)... Anyway, they were touring with Mute Math so I went to listen to some of their music on MySpace and wasn't terribly excited about it. It didn't hook me, but I didn't hate it either. No matter, I was going to the concert for MM regardless.

The concert I was supposed to see them at was that Boston one where they were listed as playing, but it was a misunderstanding apparently... So, I never saw them.

Later that year, as I loved MM so dearly, I decided to fly to Orlando (I had a friend who lived there) to see them again - see how they were more into the tour, and hopefully meet them as I didn't get to in Boston.

This time, Eisley was there and I immediately fell in love with them. Their harmonies/vocals were mesmerizing... So, when I got back home, I went back to their MySpace to give them another listen and this time I was hooked. I'm not rightly sure why I had to see them live before my love for them kicked in, but, regardless, they are now one of my favorite bands.

I apologize for not realizing their greatness earlier. Crying or Very sad
-Jen

famousamos
Sea Post King

My first Eisley encounter was really magical, because it was totally unexpected. I saw them open for NFG, and before the a show I had no idea who the openers were. I was expecting the same pop-punk acts you typically see opening for each other; you can imagine my surprise when I heard Eisley instead. I was completely impressed from the beginning. Being a vocalist myself, I was amazed by Stacy and Sherri's voices and their vocal harmonies. The whole band fascinated me because the music was so unique and so beautiful.

I went home and looked them up on their MySpace. (There was a huge banner advertising their MySpace at the show.) I really enjoyed the recordings I heard, so I went out and bought Room Noises. In the beginning, I really loved "Marvelous Things" and "Golly Sandra". I grew to love the whole album rather quickly, but those two stuck out in the beginning. I started playing Room Noises a lot in the car when I was with friends. And now I still do the same. I'm about to move back to where my friends are again, so I'm stoked to get Combinations into their ears. Hehe.
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

I'd be interested in hearing what your friends say about 'Combinations,! I've had friends that liked 'Room Noises,' but not 'Combinations,' and vice versa!

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>