43%
 43%  [ 7 ]
bad.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
meh.
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
i don't know, i haven't heard them really.
50%
 50%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 16

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Wolf Parade is a band made of two singer/songwriters with different projects and then a bass player and drummer. The two songwriters share writing/singing equally - first album had 12 songs, each wrote 6. The newest has 9, each wrote 4, and then co-wrote the multi-part last one.

Their first record, Apologies to Queen Mary, was generally acclaimed. It sticks in a particular time frame to me, because this was around the time my father almost died and I was visiting the hospital/rehab every day. I think at first I kinda thought it was overhyped by Pitchfork, but after a while I liked it very much.

Cut to their new record, At Mount Zoomer. I'm still wrapping my head around it. I'm not sure it's as solid as Apologies, but it's still fairly good. Apologies was produced by Isaac Brock (modest mouse) and had a claustrophobic almost mono sound. Zoomer was partially recorded at Arcade Fire's place (they're friends) and is more 'spatial' i guess, almost 'indie prog' at times.

All I know is the song, Call It a Ritual, is stuck in my brain so hard it may have to be surgically removed. It's not un-Spoon like.

here is a place you can stream/download Call It a Ritual:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/download/49941-wolf-parade-call- it-a-ritual-mp3stream

p.s. for any music theorists - tell me what the rhythm pattern for Ritual is please. does it start 3/4 and change either to 4/4 or something weird for the 'mellower' parts?

Comesapart
Sea Post King

One of my favorite bands. I'm counting Call It A Ritual 8/4, which my girlfriend advises me is really cut time, for whatever that's worth.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

You really can't tell what meter it's in unless you look at the music. But, it does begin is a sort of twisty waltz feel (in 3 with the snare drum on 3). Then, it later goes into a 4 feel (with snare drum on 2, 3, and 4, or on all the downbeats.)

As for a song in a rockband, it doesn't really matter what the meter is. If you were a composer writing this down, you would have to make the choice of either noting it all in something like 3/4 or 4/4 and have the feel of the downbeats change inside the meter, or simply writing it with mixed meter.

Anyway, it sounds good. Reminds me of Interpol.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Reminds me of Interpol.

really?
i remember when that one album of their's was very big a few years ago, but i guess whatever i heard at the time did not catch my ears.
i'll have to look into them then.

WindFromTheOcean
Golly, Poster

I'll try..
I'll try to dig their music, I'm still busy right now.. maybe later.. Wink

"As an artist... I feel that we must try many things - but above all, we must dare to fail. You must have the courage to be bad - to be willing to risk everything to really express it all..."
Joined: 16 Aug 2007 | Posts: 948 | Location: Cebu Rock City, Philippines baby!!
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

here is the myspace with some more tracks and videos:
http://www.myspace.com/wolfparade

i actually saw in the Best Buy ad today that the album will be on sale for $7.99 this week.

i really love the lyrics to Call it a Ritual. of course, i have no real way of knowing, but it really seems to be a song written about songwriting or song to a song almost (or the act of someone creating art) - if that makes sense:

and you will grow out of me
so naturally
like branches from a tree
call it a ritual
call it whatever you will
you know they will swing swing their swords for show
while you turn your flower petals so slow

it sort of seems to be saying the act of songwriting comes naturally, like a ritual even. then you put the songs out there for critics or the public to dissect. he's asking for you to give them time to grow - multiple plant/growing analogies - before 'cutting them down' so to speak.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

mention in Pitchfork's 20 best records for the 20th Anniversary of Sub Pop

Wolf Parade: Apologies to the Queen Mary [2005]
Few rock bands have such a pedigree. Back in 2003, when the Arcade Fire needed an opening act, Spencer Krug was called up. He threw together a band with Vancouver-based songwriter Dan Boeckner and drummer Arlen Thompson, and they played their first full rehearsal just a day before their first show. A year later, moonlighting Sub Pop suit Isaac Brock signed the group and would later produce this debut full-length. And the rest, as they say, is ramshackle, glammy, soulful, pulling-at-all-angles history. Bound to enter the Noughties canon practically before it was committed to tape, Queen Mary's scrappy, beauteous anthems and constant multi-tracked vocals icily distilled Krug and Boeckner's classic rock tendencies into perfect slabs of fuzz and cymbals: well-heeled eloquence from a bunch of hard-drinking, transplanted Montreal lowlifes. All the sudden, Sub Pop had its hands on one of the hottest of the suddenly scorching Quebec indie rock scene. --Mike Orme

alastica
Sea Post King

The first track on Apologies to the Queen Mary is sooo awesome. Those drums kill.

Joined: 01 Apr 2006 | Posts: 314 | Location: Greetings From Michigan, The Great Lakes State!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

i think Modern World was the song i loved first from Queen Mary.