Laughing City
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2008-07-02-concert-tees_N.htm? csp=34

I think this is an example of what Boyd and Jason are referring to as alternate revenue streams! Is this not right up Eisley's alley? I definitely would pay a higher price for a T-shirt with Sherri's artwork on it!

Morwen
Sea Post King

My biggest concern/complaint is about the sizing of the shirts. I would have a whole line of them if the largest size wasn't L. Sad
muffinbreath
Sea Post King

mikep0922 wrote:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2008-07-02-concert-tees _N.htm?csp=34

I think this is an example of what Boyd and Jason are referring to as alternate revenue streams! Is this not right up Eisley's alley? I definitely would pay a higher price for a T-shirt with Sherri's artwork on it!

i own one w/ sherri's artwork on it and i love it! i want another. i think it cost me only $20 at the concert.
sebas
Golly, Poster

Quote:
I definitely would pay a higher price for a T-shirt with Sherri's artwork on it!

Don't all of them already have that?

-Mahatma, Gandhi
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

They do, but the article was talking about 'higher end' merch! Better material, better sizing! Maybe putting them in outlets outside of the venues!
oliez
Vintage Newbie

M.I.A. had some of the best (quality and designed) tee-shirt merch I've ever seen. Some glowed in the dark. Others were filled to the max with her designs. All of them were insane and worth the extra price because it didn't seem like they were traditionally screenprinted (I'm not hip on the different types of shirt printing, but I know it wasn't like any merch I've seen).

I like how they talked about the different "kinds" of merch that Katy Perry has. Tattoos and sunglasses. It's things like that where people will think they need it. The last Feist tour she has a ton of unique things. A notebook with her art on the front and back, a music box that played mushaboom, and a couple other things besides shirts, totes and pins.

The thing about sizing is that if they do decide to buy enough smaller than small and larger than large shirts and don't sell them (and they usually don't sell out of the medium sized shirts) they are stuck with even more boxes of left overs and not to mention out of however much they spent on them.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Seems like niche thing that wouldn't really bring in much money honestly. Band T-shirts are already enormously expensive as it is. You can buy brand new cotton T-shirts for $3 (or for 25 cents at a thrift store). The US is on the brink of economic recession, and I don't think that $30 t-shirts are going to be a very realistic business venture for money. Profit goes down with lower sales anyway.

If they simply wanted to do it out of the goodness of their hearts for fans, that's another thing. There will always be a few dozen people willing to buy anything.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

I would not pay extra for a T-shirt that is supposedly more "fashionable" than other band T-shirts. I once had the opportunity at a show to shell out $75 for a Muse hoodie that was pretty awesome-looking, but I didn't do it because $75 is at least $40 too expensive for any kind of tour merch.

All of Eisley's merch already has Sherri's art on it. There's nothing wrong with the material or sizing. Why fix (and overcharge for) something that's not broken?

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Caley
Lost at Forum

^Exactly what I was thinking. Eisley already has that extra personal touch to their merch because Sherri has her artwork on them, whereas many other artists and bands just approve designs from somewhere else.

I haven't bought a Tegan and Sara shirt this year because they're overpriced. I wouldn't want to do that with Eisley because I love supporting them as well as I love their designs. Mates of State are selling their shirts around $15 a pop, which I think is the perfect price. I'm okay paying $20 per shirt, but I think I'd start getting stingy if it became any higher than that.

But yeah, I people used to look at designs and say, "I want that!" However, because gas is so high and the economy is obviously heading south, people are going to be looking at the price tags now. So if artists feel the need to price their merch higher for whatever reason, they can. I just don't think it's that great of an idea right now. I mean, aren't there 500 Starbucks closing in the nation? People are trading in their $5 coffee in for a gallon of gas. People aren't going to be looking at these higher end show tees as a sweet thing to have -- they're going to look at it as gas money or whatever expenses they have. So yeah... That's how I'm taking this. *shrugs*