Laughing City
norad
Vintage Newbie

Kulvir was trolling? That's hilarious.
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
2. Rougher production (enough of the buttery smooth tracks, the old EPs felt awesome)

This might be one of my greatest hopes for LP3.

Protocol Droid

But the EPs are all a mish-mash of various producers, who also didn't get Eisley ...

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
norad
Vintage Newbie

They should just record the next album and/or EP at Rosewood and produce it themselves.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
But the EPs are all a mish-mash of various producers, who also didn't get Eisley ...

Do you know how much input the producers had on the EPs? I have no idea, but I would imagine it would be less. The 3rd and 4th EPs were cleaner than the 1st and 2nd, but they were all not nearly as slick as either of the albums. Slickness is a hard thing to describe I guess.

patrock wrote:
They should just record the next album and/or EP at Rosewood and produce it themselves.

That sounds like a good idea, Very Happy Cheaper, faster, more efficient, and more creative control.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
The best thing that could happen to the next Eisley album is:

1. Better lyrics (I'm spoiled by Sufjan Stevens)
2. Rougher production (enough of the buttery smooth tracks, the old EPs felt awesome)
3. More varied song length and form (avoiding the 3 minute pop formula is great for mixing up an album)

1. I love Eisley lyrics.
2. I have no problem with the production of their full cd's. I understand what you mean by "buttery smooth" though from other cd's but I didn't find it detrimental on these. If they sounded more like the ep's that'd be cool too, I did like the ep version of Marvelous Things slightly better, I guess, I don't even have it but it seemed like the guitars were louder.
3. I like this, like Over The Mountains type songs.
4. If a record exec says songs are too weird, definitely include them on the album as tracks 11-15.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
mister_joseph
Golly, Poster

kulvir wrote:
I'm not sure how my post was trolling. Everybody has a different opinion but I would put way more weight on advice given by an experienced musician who has made a good album and has established him or herself. You have the right to you opinion but how can Eisley judge how much credibility your advice has?

he who pays the piper, names the song.

these people on the forums, they're the ones buying the records. the label, they're the ones paying for the records. if Eisley were to make a trendy-sounding record, they might initially gain a lot of fans, but then they'd lose a lot of the fans who were around in the beginning--not to mention the fans who came on when it was 'trendy.' if Eisley were to go in and make a record that's, well, artistically self-indulgent, the temptation is to say 'they made an artistic triumph' which really means 'they sold 10K less records in the name of 'art.' "

if a band is attempting to make a living on its art, then guess what? the fans do have an impact, and a band would be foolish not to consider it. that doesn't mean they should *totally* listen to their fanbase, and they should make a record that makes them happy, but to have a band as your 'wage,' there's a whole lot of payin' attention to what the market wants. and if the fans say of their latest record, 'the songs are too short and feel under-produced and flat' and the band goes and does another record exactly like that...then, well, whose fault is it for the consequences of such a decision?

yes, i know, bands like Radiohead, REM, Flaming Lips blah blah blah...but those bands are able to make uncompromising music because they have zero to lose and residuals to last them into retirement.

this isn't just a truth about Eisley--it's a truth about all bands in the big business of making music.

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:

Do you know how much input the producers had on the EPs? I have no idea, but I would imagine it would be less. The 3rd and 4th EPs were cleaner than the 1st and 2nd, but they were all not nearly as slick as either of the albums. Slickness is a hard thing to describe I guess.

This isn't for argument's sake, it just reminded me of a video I saw on Youtube of them in some studio, I'm guessing it was for one of their ep's, maybe it was just for a demo. Anyway this guy in the booth was berrating Weston about some drum fill or something and I just wanted to punch the guy in the face hah. For all I know he was suggesting something better that eventually ended up on the song but he seemed kinda crappy..(*edit* It was Rob Schnapf, so that makes it Room Noises rehearsal session?)

But there was also some video of them doing pre-production for Room Noises and some guy was telling them to come up with an anthem. Maybe it's just me but that sounded so ridiculous because when I hear the word anthem I think of cheesy 80's Twisted Sister songs or something hah. (*edit* Taking Control, Telescope Eyes, A Sight To Behold are anthems I guess.)

Last edited by Nowhere Man on Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
soupey
Sea Post King

piperjay23 wrote:
They do have an exposure issue. They need a "break out."

The band and supporters are very grassroots and organic in their process. I don't think they need anymore of that approach. So I disagree with your list.

What they need is national recognition. Since radio is almost dead as a real medium for quality new music, they need something else.

A brilliant album would be a great start. Most of the pieces are there: Unique sound, lyric writing, vocals. However, they lack a punch in the gut presence (both live and recorded). They need a solid producer/partner to refine their sound, improve their musicianship and enbsemble and help tailor a finely crafted album.

I think they need a strong dose of outside professionalism. Perhaps WB didn't bring it, or perhaps the family network filtered it out. Either way, a strong kick in the pants could do wonders.

The point is...the exposure problem will be solved when they bring top notch content to the table. They can do it, but they need to take a very difficult next step. And it starts with what goes on in the studio. All the fan blogs in the world can't control that.

I disagree. You sound like you're suggesting they change their sound and what makes them Eisley! I like them people of their "grassroots" feel. I like them just how they are and I think lots of other people do too. I for one wouldn't like them as much if they changed this because to me, that's why makes them worth listening to.
sonya
Sea Post King

I'm with patrock on the issue of recording. They should take control of that and head to Rosewood. I would love that. I've been thinking about that, since Combinations came out. It's a great album, but there's just something about the production that bugs me. Possibly compression? I like Eisley doing all their own instrumentation and being a bit strange. Does this make sense? I feel as if I'm rambling.
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

sonya wrote:
I'm with patrock on the issue of recording. They should take control of that and head to Rosewood. I would love that. I've been thinking about that, since Combinations came out. It's a great album, but there's just something about the production that bugs me. Possibly compression? I like Eisley doing all their own instrumentation and being a bit strange. Does this make sense? I feel as if I'm rambling.

I'd love to see that, too. I like how they added at least one self produced song to each official release. And their really old weird collections; oh yeah, I liked that normal yet odd stuff they would add in ("take the ibuprofen"). I mean it's probably inevidentable to have SOME outside influence, and I think that's not a bad thing. They have to grow and with each experience comes more learning; I a m excited to see what comes next. Smile

Just for fun: Like everyone else though, I have opinions about production of the different albums and EPs...but the only thing I think is good enough to share: they should work with Aaron Sprinkle again. As "shiny" as it is, I love the sound of HATS updated (as old as the song is, I was listening to it today and it still tugged at my heart strings, the emotion behind the vocals and sound) and Marvelous Things on the EP. Eisley does well with a more "wet" sound.
Last edited by Mystic210 on Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Nowhere Man wrote:
This isn't for argument's sake, it just reminded me of a video I saw on Youtube of them in some studio, I'm guessing it was for one of their ep's, maybe it was just for a demo. Anyway this guy in the booth was berrating Weston about some drum fill or something and I just wanted to punch the guy in the face hah. For all I know he was suggesting something better that eventually ended up on the song but he seemed kinda crappy..(*edit* It was Rob Schnapf, so that makes it Room Noises rehearsal session?)

But there was also some video of them doing pre-production for Room Noises and some guy was telling them to come up with an anthem. Maybe it's just me but that sounded so ridiculous because when I hear the word anthem I think of cheesy 80's Twisted Sister songs or something hah. (*edit* Taking Control, Telescope Eyes, A Sight To Behold are anthems I guess.)

i don't guess i've seen these - would you give a link please?

they hinted at releasing an EP later this year.
i imagine they'll do all of it at Rosewood themselves.

but they definitely DO NOT need to change anything about themselves.
if they go in a different direction, then let it be of their own will.

if people are meant to hear what they make, then it will happen.

i think one way for them to get some major exposure would be to have a song or two on a relatively popular film soundtrack.

who knows - maybe their Sundance appearances caught some Hollywood eyes/ears and they may be waiting intently for the next Eisley project for potential usage.

i'm trying to think of some indie rock bands/people this has helped:

Elliott Smith - Good Will Hunting
Sufjan Stevens - Little Miss Sunshine
The Shins - Garden State
Spoon - Stranger Than Fiction

all of these had at least a couple albums out before being used in a film...

ks1990
Lost at Forum

I'm sure Eisley know exactly what direction they want to head in for LP3. Personally i think we should just let them do their thang.
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
Nowhere Man wrote:

i don't guess i've seen these - would you give a link please?

There's 14 clips, the last one has the drum rehearsal/taping I mentioned.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_D05PDbZl4

SYP has them too, clip 6 is missing on there though or I couldn't find it. They're labeled inconsistently.

norad
Vintage Newbie

Nowhere Man wrote:
SYP has them too, clip 6 is missing on there though or I couldn't find it. They're labeled inconsistently.

How so?

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>