Laughing City

Have you ever thought about being with someone of the same sex?
Sure, it's only natural to have thought about it.
44%
 44%  [ 22 ]
No! Never!
32%
 32%  [ 16 ]
I don't think so...
24%
 24%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 50

redrubberball
Sea Post King

I had a co-worker, who is a lesbian, ask me if I had ever thought about being with a girl. I'm straight and would never actually be with a girl but I told her that I had though about it, sure, who hasn't? She was shocked by my answer. I then asked a few guy friends if they had ever thought about being with a guy and they both said, "NO! GROSS!" When I told them I had thought about it they both were shocked also. I then asked my sisters the same question and they both said of course they had. So I've just been asking people at random and I've found that girls are more willing to admit having thought about being with another girl. Why is that do you think? (People at work think I'm a lesbian now. Maybe I shouldn't be so honest and forthcoming....)
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

I've thought about it (people are probably lying if they say otherwise), but my biggest hangup is that I'm not sexually attracted to men, Laughing

Men are just more insecure about their sexuality because our cultures teach us to be tough and brawny, and that being gay is a bad thing.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Men are just more insecure about their sexuality because our cultures teach us to be tough and brawny, and that being gay is a bad thing.

This I disagree with, the rest I do not. There are more secure, out-and-proud men than there are women, but if you look at people who openly label themselves as bisexual there is an astronomical gap between the number of males and females. Men are generally less threatened by the possibility of a girl liking another woman- hell, plenty of guys encourage it- but it's almost as if some (most?) men feel that thinking about another man in any way is too emasculating, that it will make women no longer see them as the tough, "ideal" man that girls "want." It's actually a huge social stigma problem, that girls can like both sexes because they're "sensitive" (or slutty) but men either have to be nancing homosexuals or boob-loving straight guys. No middle ground.

Vintage Newbie

I think there is a different between thinking about it and actually wanting to do it. Anyone who says they haven't THOUGHT about it is totally lying.
Now WANTING to do it is another story.

i'm gonna marry the mars volta.
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 8260 | Location: new hampshire
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

hisownshot wrote:
I think there is a different between thinking about it and actually wanting to do it. Anyone who says they haven't THOUGHT about it is totally lying.
Now WANTING to do it is another story.

Exactly.
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

I've thought about it. In fact, I kind of have a list. But I'm happily married to a man and I can't foresee any circumstances under which I would ever act on those thoughts. I'll probably never meet Ellen Page, anyway.

Mooncutter wrote:
Men are generally less threatened by the possibility of a girl liking another woman- hell, plenty of guys encourage it- but it's almost as if some (most?) men feel that thinking about another man in any way is too emasculating, that it will make women no longer see them as the tough, "ideal" man that girls "want." It's actually a huge social stigma problem, that girls can like both sexes because they're "sensitive" (or slutty) but men either have to be nancing homosexuals or boob-loving straight guys. No middle ground.

Amen to all of that. I've never met a bisexual man, but I know several bisexual women, straight women, gay women, straight men, and gay men. What a strange gap to have in the range of orientation.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pumamina
Golly, Poster

i get how some people can be so against same sex couples
if it makes them happy let them

jack_stripes
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
Amen to all of that. I've never met a bisexual man, but I know several bisexual women, straight women, gay women, straight men, and gay men. What a strange gap to have in the range of orientation.

as a gay man, trust me there are lots.

sukieinthe_g
Golly, Poster

Mooncutter wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

This I disagree with, the rest I do not. There are more secure, out-and-proud men than there are women, but if you look at people who openly label themselves as bisexual there is an astronomical gap between the number of males and females. Men are generally less threatened by the possibility of a girl liking another woman- hell, plenty of guys encourage it- but it's almost as if some (most?) men feel that thinking about another man in any way is too emasculating, that it will make women no longer see them as the tough, "ideal" man that girls "want." It's actually a huge social stigma problem, that girls can like both sexes because they're "sensitive" (or slutty) but men either have to be nancing homosexuals or boob-loving straight guys. No middle ground.

I disagree with what Tyler said in the first half of it. I think our media is really encouraging men to either be gay, embrace gayness, or be more metro. Even portrayal of straight men that aren't metro seems to me to be rather feminine (ie - not rough and tough and manly).

This commercial is sort of my point.

---edit---

I think maybe I should also add that in my opinion, while the media is demasculating the straight man, they are strengthening (or masculating) the straight man's girlfriend. I guess that's what I get from seeing commercials like that.

magiugacire
Sea Post King

You know, there is nothing wrong with being gay.
guitargirl
Laughing Citizen

sukieinthe_g wrote:

Please explain how the commercial demonstrates your point. I thought men always loved sugary desserts. Question

j'ai pas envie d'être un robot, métro boulot dodo
-Kelli
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
plicka527
Golly, Poster

Saellys wrote:
I've thought about it. In fact, I kind of have a list. But I'm happily married to a man and I can't foresee any circumstances under which I would ever act on those thoughts. I'll probably never meet Ellen Page, anyway.

Mooncutter wrote:
Men are generally less threatened by the possibility of a girl liking another woman- hell, plenty of guys encourage it- but it's almost as if some (most?) men feel that thinking about another man in any way is too emasculating, that it will make women no longer see them as the tough, "ideal" man that girls "want." It's actually a huge social stigma problem, that girls can like both sexes because they're "sensitive" (or slutty) but men either have to be nancing homosexuals or boob-loving straight guys. No middle ground.

I am a bi-sexual male, there you now kinda "know" one.

sukieinthe_g
Golly, Poster

guitargirl wrote:
sukieinthe_g wrote:

Please explain how the commercial demonstrates your point. I thought men always loved sugary desserts. Question

It's not what the commercial is selling, it's how the woman kind of gets on to the guy like he's her pet dog (who's just pooped on the carpet) or something and his defeated look after what she says to him.

Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

sukieinthe_g wrote:
guitargirl wrote:
sukieinthe_g wrote:

It's not what the commercial is selling, it's how the woman kind of gets on to the guy like he's her pet dog (who's just pooped on the carpet) or something and his defeated look after what she says to him.

He's whipped, not effeminate Laughing

Sea Post King

sukieinthe_g wrote:
guitargirl wrote:
sukieinthe_g wrote:

Uh oh. That makes no sense. That's saying being feminine/gay/not masculine equals being like a defeated pet dog (who's just pooped on the carpet).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger