Laughing City
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

**do not be afraid arrives at the pearly gates**

Lord, it's nice.......but, meh… it just doesn't do anything for me at all…!

Laughing

do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

Music_Lover wrote:
wow, can you say arse? way to completely rip something he does for a living. yeah, people have opinions but you don't have to be SO blunt about how much you hate it. how would like if it someone was bashing something you do for a living? it's just rude. Rolling Eyes

uh, i never said i “hate” it, and i don't hate it, i'm just not as impressed by it as everyone else seems to be, and it isn't really my sort of thing at all, and that's it. heck, if the opinion was running the other way, and people were attacking it, i'd probably be the one stepping in and saying “you know, it's not really that bad…”, but it's not, so i'm the one stepping in and saying “you know, it's not really that great…” what's so “rude” about that?

i think you're being a lot more “blunt” with your opinion about me, and, actually, i don't really mind that at all! it's not that i like being disagreed, and bashed, and so on, but i do like people being open and up front with me — and since when has honesty and directness been considered a vice? and why?

anotherrandomtuesday wrote:
Do not be afraid: please do everyone who you've offended, and the rest of us, a favor: get over yourself and tone it down. It isn't that hard to be reasonable.

um, i'm not the one who is so full of themselves as to assume i know what's best for other people to do with their own lives…

patrock wrote:
Seriously, who do you think you are? Rolling Eyes He is the professional. The guitar Todd made looks amazing. I'm sure it sounds amazing too. So please get over yourself.

right, he's the “professional” who nobody has ever heard of, and built a guitar that looks nearly identical to literally thousands i've seen before, none of which have ever impressed me in the least! and do you actually know anything about guitars? i'm genuinely interested — i'm not saying that people who do know about guitars wouldn't like it (i'm sure plenty would!), it just seems strange to me how convinced people are that it's such a wonderful guitar, when they probably couldn't even tell the difference between a Danelectro and a D'Angelico…

bigideas wrote:
**do not be afraid arrives at the pearly gates**

Lord, it's nice.......but, meh… it just doesn't do anything for me at all…!

Laughing

well, not having the slightest clue about what the pearly gates actually look like, you might just be right! but, for the record, there's an enormous amount of stuff that i love, much of it to an insanely over the top degree, and this idea that i hate everyone, and everything, and just like to piss people off, or whatever, is completely ridiculous! still, i laughed a lot when i read that!

actually, though, the first thing i thought of when i read “pearly gates” was this! and, you're right, it doesn't impress me much! i'm strictly a P-90 sort of guy when it's comes to Les Pauls...
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
norad
Vintage Newbie

You like to spin things around on people. Spin that.
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

patrock wrote:
You like to spin things around on people. Spin that.

you're weird…

something i've noticed: the people who are usually first to criticize me are my favorite members! that's right, you're one of my favorite members! what does that say about me? i'm thinking i'm probably weird, too…
kidnap_jasmine
Sea Post King

do not be afraid wrote:

right, he's the “professional” who nobody has ever heard of, and built a guitar that looks nearly identical to literally thousands i've seen before, none of which have ever impressed me in the least! and do you actually know anything about guitars? i'm genuinely interested — i'm not saying that people who do know about guitars wouldn't like it (i'm sure plenty would!), it just seems strange to me how convinced people are that it's such a wonderful guitar, when they probably couldn't even tell the difference between a Danelectro and a D'Angelico…

can you please calm down a bit?
and please don't say things like that about Todd's work,
it's really quite rude.
you have a right to your opinion,
but I think you should've kept that one to yourself.
norad
Vintage Newbie

kidnap_jasmine wrote:
can you please calm down a bit? and please don't say things like that about Todd's work, it's really quite rude. you have a right to your opinion, but I think you should've kept that one to yourself.

Don't say that to him. He's going to say he was calm and wasn't being rude...and add a lot of bold and italics. Wink
kidnap_jasmine
Sea Post King

patrock wrote:
kidnap_jasmine wrote:
can you please calm down a bit? and please don't say things like that about Todd's work, it's really quite rude. you have a right to your opinion, but I think you should've kept that one to yourself.

Don't say that to him. He's going to say he was calm and wasn't being rude...and add a lot of bold and italics. Wink

haha, okay.
just thought I'd try.
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

patrock wrote:

oh, no, i actually was being incredibly rude and irate that time! or was i? hmm...

what really gets me riled up about that particular post was:

kidnap_jasmine wrote:
you have a right to your opinion, but I think you should've kept that one to yourself.

i mean, what good is the “right” to have an opinion, when you don't have the right to express it? it's really just a “polite” way to say “shut the $#@! up, we don't care what you think, or what anyone thinks, just as long as they don't rock the boat! so get back in line and behave yourself!” but, of course, they'd never really say that because, well, it would rock the boat, so they instead come up with that sort of passive-aggressive bull-$#@!! i don't think that anyone should ever keep anything to themselves! if an opinion is worth having, then it's worth expressing, and defending! and feel free to express it however you want! otherwise, you don't really have a discussion forum, just a… i don't know… compliments forum?!

not that anyone here would ever agree with me…
kidnap_jasmine
Sea Post King

do not be afraid. wrote:
patrock wrote:

oh, no, i actually was being incredibly rude and irate that time! or was i? hmm...

what really gets me riled up about that particular post was:

kidnap_jasmine wrote:
you have a right to your opinion, but I think you should've kept that one to yourself.

i mean, what good is the “right” to have an opinion, when you don't have the right to express it? it's really just a “polite” way to say “shut the $#@! up, we don't care what you think, or what anyone thinks, just as long as they don't rock the boat! so get back in line and behave yourself!” but, of course, they'd never really say that because, well, it would rock the boat, so they instead come up with that sort of passive-aggressive bull-$#@!! i don't think that anyone should ever keep anything to themselves! if an opinion is worth having, then it's worth expressing, and defending! and feel free to express it however you want! otherwise, you don't really have a discussion forum, just a… i don't know… compliments forum?!

not that anyone here would ever agree with me…

Wink I apologize.
vintage_snowflake
Golly, Poster

woah woah, I jumped in on page eight, haven't seen the rest of it.. but can we not bash? I understand your hesitancy to shower the utmost praise upon this guitar, but no need to say it sucks.

also, all around, people.. just calm down. life is good, no?
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

vintage_snowflake wrote:
woah woah, I jumped in on page eight, haven't seen the rest of it.. but can we not bash? I understand your hesitancy to shower the utmost praise upon this guitar, but no need to say it sucks.

um, again, nobody ever said it “sucks”, and it doesn't, and... oh, bother! why do i even try?

vintage_snowflake wrote:
also, all around, people.. just calm down. life is good, no?

I AM CALM! DON'T I LOOK CALM TO YOU!?! SEE THE PRETTY COLOR I'M TYPING IN? DOESN'T THAT TELL YOU HOW CALM I AM!!?!?!
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Hm. So everything is now calm and ok now, right?

Right? Wink

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

You know guys, do not be afraid.'s opinions don't bother me at all anymore, even if they do tend to disagree with my own opinions (in this case, my opinion that Todd made one freakin' gorgeous guitar). I've come to expect his very emphatic statements as a matter of course, and even--in some cases--to enjoy reading them, because I know that someone will always take them the wrong way. See also: this entire thread.

So I have this suggestion. Instead of telling do not be afraid. to get over himself, why don't you all get over him? The three-on-one gangup was seriously over the top as a reaction to a rather innocent statement, and the more we talk about it, the worse we all look. He didn't say anything to any of you. He didn't even say anything insulting to Todd, up until the "professional" comment, and that was clearly provoked.

It doesn't matter who he thinks he is; he has the right to both have and express his opinion, and so long as it doesn't break any forum rules or intentionally hurt someone you can all disagree without stooping to personal attacks that are worse than the so-called offensive comments were in the first place.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

I'm taking do not be afraid's side. Not on his opinion, but just that I think what he said wasn't that rude in the first place, and I think he should be able to post it without everyone ganging up on him. Basically what Saellys just said, haha. Besides, I love reading do not be afraid's posts. Wait, when provoked he usually posts more... ok, never mind, carry on!

(And I'm not meaning to offend anyone in this post)
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

no, there is such a thing as using tact.
you know the old adage,

"if you have nothing nice to say..."

in anything in life you can choose to focus on the positive or negatvie aspects.

ask yourself,
"do you wish to build other people up,
or do you wish to tear people down?"

in this thread Todd shared with us him taking some hunks of wood and turning them into a functional musical instrument. i doubt many other people on this forum can even do that. that in itself is a positive action, worthy of positive reinforcement.

now if someone took me to a musical instrument store and said, "have your pick of a guitar," i'd probably actually pick a Telecaster like do not be afraid showed a picture of, but i didn't really see any need to bring that up in this thread. this thread is not about my favorite guitar or which one i like, the thread is about Todd crafting a guitar for Chauntelle......and for that, i applaud (t)he(e).

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>