Laughing City
kellyvsshark
Sea Post King

Woah, the finish is amazing
Great work Todd!
Unregistered
Laughing Citizen

Todd, what was your funnest part of making Chauntelle's guitar? What was the hardest part? How long have you been making guitars?
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
bigideas wrote:
Saellys wrote:
bigideas wrote:
in this thread Todd shared with us him taking some hunks of wood and turning them into a functional musical instrument. i doubt many other people on this forum can even do that. that in itself is a positive action, worthy of positive reinforcement.

One mildly dissenting opinion in a thread otherwise full of positive reinforcement does not warrant the group smackdown that has taken over this thread.

Sorry for not putting that in a PM Jamie, but I feel it needs to be said in a place where it will be seen by all involved.

i wasn't going to say any more, but since you quoted me:
it wasn't once.
everyone let the first handful go, eventually even Todd finally reacted to the comments.
saying it isn't your style of guitar is fine, but say it once and be done with it, not every time he updates it with new photos.

I was talking about one dissenting opinion in that do not be afraid. is one person with a dissenting opinion. And just as many people have posted, over and over, each time Todd posts a new photo, their opinion that this is a gorgeous guitar, do not be afraid. has stated his opinion, as is his right.

This thread is the proportionate equivalent of a bunch of people at a gallery show in which the artist is standing proudly next to his creation, and a dozen guests see the work and gush at its beauty and compliment the artist's skill while one shrugs and says, "Meh."

I have no doubt that do not be afraid. is the kind of person who would not be afraid (heh) of saying "Meh" to someone's face in the physical world, and no one would make a big deal of it there. Honestly, would you cause a scene of this magnitude in a public place just because someone voiced an opinion of personal preference that happens to contradict your own? If not, why bother doing it online?

I am pretty much convinced that the inappropriate defensiveness in this thread is built-up frustration at do not be afraid.'s propensity for brutal honesty, which has come out in several threads before, and most participants are angry because of his previous statements rather than the ones in this thread. That boils down to ad hominem, since you are responding to your prior experience with the person in other discussions rather than his statements in this one. You might say you're trying to defend Todd (who has "reacted" only by saying that do not be afraid.'s comments made him chuckle--clearly he's nowhere near as distraught about this as so many other people in this thread), but from what?

If anyone else cares to respond to my statements, do it in a PM since I won't be posting in this thread anymore. You're all far too defensive and this is a $#@!-storm over absolutely nothing. I hope to God this thread doesn't get locked, because it would be a shame for the chronicle of Todd's hard work to sink to the bottom of EisleyBlog thanks entirely to the people who just can't get over other people's opinions.

didn't read it.
*bites tongue and turns the other cheek*

Mylovelyislostatsea
Sea Post King

I think the guitar is lookin pretty freakin awesome. Very Happy Very Happy
jamiga
Vintage Newbie

Wish we could have seen Chauntelles reaction!
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

Great lookin' piece of merchandise! Smile Thanks for the updates, it was fun seeing the process; I swear, laughing city is such a learning experience at times! Cool
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

inorbit wrote:
Saellys wrote:
I hope to God this thread doesn't get locked, because it would be a shame for the chronicle of Todd's hard work to sink to the bottom of EisleyBlog thanks entirely to the people who just can't get over other people's opinions.

I agree. Actually, I wonder if it wouldn't be best if someone with the requisite permissions expunged the sequence of O/T posts (including mine) that have not much to do with the guitar. I know that's not a practice that anyone wants to make standard procedure, due to the workload, honesty of the record, etc, but in this case there's a valuable thread with some not so valuable stuff in it that isn't going to interest future readers much.
--edit--
there- mines emptied. Less clutter in the thread. Anyone else care to join in?
--edit-
hope sprocket's cartoon stays though!

i'll join in.
::emptied, as well.::

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

I like do not be afraid.'s post because there is such a sycophantic atmosphere on this forum 98% of the time. almost Every time someone takes a picture... it's the best one EVER! almost Every time someone posts a song "IT'S SO GOOD!" And it just gets worse in the Eisleyblog. It wouldn't be that bad to me if one or two people say "Oh, that's nice", but it gets really annoying to read three pages of saccharized drivel...which is why I didn't read most of this thread until now. It's nice to have someone who won't exaggerate the greatness of every forum member.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
stumple13
Sea Post King

That guitar looks really nice!
i cant wait to hear it.
the colors just look so good haha
When you said you were making the fretboard from brazilian rosewood i about peed myself
even if its just the fretboard,thats nice stuff
my brother has an acoustic taylor made from brazillian rosewood
and its the best thing i have heard haha
LaRose Guitars
Sea Post King

Unregistered wrote:
Todd, what was your funnest part of making Chauntelle's guitar? What was the hardest part? How long have you been making guitars?

Well the most enjoyable part was actually the finish!! I love to come up with new colors that I never have used on previous instruments Smile The hardest part is always the neck! On this one the neck is East Indian rosewood and is harder to work and carve out that most hardwoods that are typical to this style instrument! I've been making guitars for about 10 years and have have built guitars for Keb' Mo, Lyle Workman, Josh Homme, Frank Black, Doug Pinnick and a plethora of other professional musicians. I have also worked for a few well known guitars companies who have been around for many decades. I love to build instruments and to create pieces to where the artist is involved in the process and feels that they have a part of themselves in their instrument! In this case...Chauntelle had picked each individual aspect of this guitar! So really it is her design!....Right down the color, pickups and strings! This guitar will be close to my 4,000th one completed...So i am really excited!! Very Happy Thanks for all for your support!! You guys are great!! Also thanks for coming to my defense!!...Even though I am used to the narrowmindedness of certian individuals Laughing It truly does not bother me and really think its funny Laughing but thank you none the less!! Very Happy God Bless you all!!!! ---Todd

do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

LaRose Guitars wrote:
...Even though I am used to the narrowmindedness of certian individuals Laughing

so it's “narrow minded” to not like something you built? huh? or what?

LaRose Guitars wrote:
I've been making guitars for about 10 years and have have built guitars for Keb' Mo, Lyle Workman, Josh Homme, Frank Black, Doug Pinnick and a plethora of other professional musicians. I have also worked for a few well known guitars companies who have been around for many decades. I love to build instruments and to create pieces to where the artist is involved in the process and feels that they have a part of themselves in their instrument! This guitar will be close to my 4,000th one completed...

well, okay, i'll admit that i didn't know that (not that it would have actually changed anything, except maybe one or two comments here or there, and maybe not even that), but, for whatever it's worth, i did try to find out about you, and got… uh... nowhere… not that it really matters, since i never actually doubted your skill or professionalism or anything else (and if i ever came off that way, i'm sorry, i honestly didn't mean it that way [or i was just feeling bitchy!]), it's just that you haven't put it towards building anything that i'd like (as far as i know!), which is perfectly fine since you weren't actually trying to (of course!), but, again, really, i just don't see how that makes me “narrow minded?!” or was it something else i said? and what was it? i genuinely want to know, because i really $#@! hate being thought of as a “narrow minded” person…

LaRose Guitars wrote:
In this case...Chauntelle had picked each individual aspect of this guitar! So really it is her design!....Right down the color, pickups and strings!

i think i already asked this, but since i didn't get a response: what pickups did you use? and, actually, what strings does Chauntelle use? they're completely random gear dork questions, i know, but, eh, i'm a completely random gear dork…
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

Todd, I think it's cool that the instrument is a collaborative effort between yourself and the artist! That seems like it would breath life into each individual guitar Smile
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Frank Black!!

I can't wait to see this on stage and hear it live!

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
Frank Black!!

Sea Post King

LaRose Guitars wrote:

[

That came out awesome. Nice work, Todd. Smile
Joined: 31 Dec 2007 | Posts: 335 | Location: Northern Virginia

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>