<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

crazeemunkeyz wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:
I think what everyone really wants to know is, "What orchestra is it?"

Laughing
i know i wasn't wondering that...but when i saw the vid i thought you be digging it.

I saw the video and figured it must have been local amateurs or volunteers from local Seattle groups, and not a dedicated orchestra. Paying a group like the Seattle Symphony would pretty much guarantee you'd never make any money for a fundraiser, Laughing

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

boyd wrote:
I can't wait to hear them with orchestral arrangements. Did I say arrangements? I don't know that for sure. But it's a very creative environment; anything is possible.

Dare I say it? This could be the coolest thing they've done. To me they already have developed a cinematic sound, far-reaching beyond normal pop/alt/whateva music, and perfectly suited for orchestral backing. Plus I love symphonies, so this should be huge. Hope they get more than 3-4 songs though, but biggest thing is (mental note if you're reading this Boyd) we don't care how darkly shot or snot-faced or hung over anything or anyone looks, WE MUST SEE IT! Smile

And of course, the cause is worthy with a capital 'worth.'

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
crazeemunkeyz wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

Laughing
i know i wasn't wondering that...but when i saw the vid i thought you be digging it.

I saw the video and figured it must have been local amateurs or volunteers from local Seattle groups, and not a dedicated orchestra. Paying a group like the Seattle Symphony would pretty much guarantee you'd never make any money for a fundraiser, Laughing

That's the thing though, I think everyone is playing for free since it's a charity event, so there probably will be top-notch pros there. I could be wrong though, not sure how these things work. The tickets will probably be really expensive too I'm thinking since it's for charity.

grain thrower wrote:
but biggest thing is (mental note if you're reading this Boyd) we don't care how darkly shot or snot-faced or hung over anything or anyone looks, WE MUST SEE IT! Smile

Yeah they'll probably be all hung over from partying the night before but we still want to see the video!

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Nowhere Man wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:
crazeemunkeyz wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

Laughing

That's the thing though, I think everyone is playing for free since it's a charity event, so there probably will be top-notch pros there. I could be wrong though, not sure how these things work. The tickets will probably be really expensive too I'm thinking since it's for charity.

Yeah, I mean to say that they couldn't book the whole orchestra for charity (probably something contractual), but there are probably a few more altruistic players in the group who take part. I just looked at the starting salaries for Seattle, and the principal cello was only like 90k, much lower than I expected.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

i really want to know what songs will be on their setlist. since they will have an orchestra, i'm thinking some softer songs of theirs. so probably songs like:

Laughing City
Combinations
If You're Wondering
Just Like We Do
I Wasn't Prepared

i'm hoping they play some new ones along with these:
The Escaping Song
Marsh King's Daughter(!!!)
Over the Mountains
Sea King
Head Against the Sky
Like the Actors

i think it'd be amazing to hear HATS with an orchestra behind it. and any of those songs would be awesome, also.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
Catey
Lost at Forum

I think ICBTFY would blow off everyone's faces with an orchestra behind it....including the new intro they did on the Combinations tour. I think it would be magically beautiful and even possible to give everyone permanent goosebumps.
Joined: 02 Aug 2005 | Posts: 1086 | Location: Essex, England
pazatronix!
Lost at Forum

Catey wrote:
I think ICBTFY would blow off everyone's faces with an orchestra behind it....including the new intro they did on the Combinations tour. I think it would be magically beautiful and even possible to give everyone permanent goosebumps.

i agree! and hello! marsh king's daughter! Very Happy i'm too excited. Laughing

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

pazatronix! wrote:
Catey wrote:

i agree! and hello! marsh king's daughter! Very Happy i'm too excited. Laughing

oh, i definately agree.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:

dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Catey wrote:

Ooh yeah that would be awesome. The ones that first came to mind for me were Marsh King's Daughter, Laughing City and Come Clean but ICBTFY with the new intro, sweet.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Personally, I hope there is a real, tangible consideration for orchestration for this concert. There are few things I hate more than a pop group playing a song with 100% regular instrumentation, and have a full orchestra being wasted behind them playing chords or cheesy melodies (this was the San Francisco Symphony's most popular album ever, Rolling Eyes the drums are so laughably out of place, everything sounds like it's coming from a different sound source, and doesn't sound like an ensemble at all).

There aren't a whole lot of popular/art collaborations where I thought "this blends well and works as music". Some notable successes Are Blackout by Muse, much of Tak... by Sigur Ros, and some of Frank Sinatra's thickly orchestrated songs.

The best collaborations can be formed when the performers are not considered "soloist and accompaniment", but instead a "duo" or "music for pop band and orchestra" in this case, Laughing I don't want to scoff at the notion, because such a combination is ripe for experimentation. I think back to when Mahler was writing orchestras for voice and orchestra, or for voice, chorus and orchestra.

I'm optimistic at the outcome, and if Eisley, the conductor, and a good orchestrator/composer can sit down for a few weeks creating some arrangements and compositions, I'll probably be floored.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
if Eisley, the conductor, and a good orchestrator/composer can sit down for a few weeks creating some arrangements and compositions, I'll probably be floored.

i agree, i think they kind of need to be able to work out the kinks for a little bit, and make it a fusion that is incredible. songs like Laughing City and MKD won't need it as much because they've already been orchestrated. But the songs that don't have that, i think, if done right, could powerhouse kick the audience's ears. oh yes.

however, i still think that if the all kinks aren't worked out of it, it will still be awesome.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Personally, I hope there is a real, tangible consideration for orchestration for this concert. There are few things I hate more than a pop group playing a song with 100% regular instrumentation, and have a full orchestra being wasted behind them playing chords or cheesy melodies (this was the San Francisco Symphony's most popular album ever, Rolling Eyes the drums are so laughably out of place, everything sounds like it's coming from a different sound source, and doesn't sound like an ensemble at all).

There aren't a whole lot of popular/art collaborations where I thought "this blends well and works as music". Some notable successes Are Blackout by Muse, much of Tak... by Sigur Ros, and some of Frank Sinatra's thickly orchestrated songs.

The best collaborations can be formed when the performers are not considered "soloist and accompaniment", but instead a "duo" or "music for pop band and orchestra" in this case, Laughing I don't want to scoff at the notion, because such a combination is ripe for experimentation. I think back to when Mahler was writing orchestras for voice and orchestra, or for voice, chorus and orchestra.

I'm optimistic at the outcome, and if Eisley, the conductor, and a good orchestrator/composer can sit down for a few weeks creating some arrangements and compositions, I'll probably be floored.

Without clicking on the link and reading the first two sentences, I knew you were going to rip on Metallica. Laughing

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
johnip
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:

Without clicking on the link and reading the first two sentences, I knew you were going to rip on Metallica. Laughing

Same. However, I quite enjoyed that album. It's the only thing by Metallica that I like. Laughing I think the orchestra worked well in that concert for the most part. I dunno if your referring to the drums in the beginning of the song, or the drummer from Metallica, so I don't know how to comment on that. As for the orchestra playing cheesy melodies behind the bands stuff, you gotta take into account that it was the symphony backing up Metallica, not the other way around. Wink

Anyways, I think Eisley will probably mesh better with the orchestra in most minds because they're going acoustic and won't be playing metal. Laughing

Sea Post King

Depression can't go.
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

If my band ever does an acoustic performance with an orchestra backing it up, I better sure as hell be the conductor of the orchestra, or one of the f'n string bassists.

Anyway, I am really stoked for this. like pee my pants stoked.

i'm gonna marry the mars volta.
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 8260 | Location: new hampshire

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>