Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

johnip wrote:
Same. However, I quite enjoyed that album. It's the only thing by Metallica that I like. Laughing I think the orchestra worked well in that concert for the most part. I dunno if your referring to the drums in the beginning of the song, or the drummer from Metallica, so I don't know how to comment on that. As for the orchestra playing cheesy melodies behind the bands stuff, you gotta take into account that it was the symphony backing up Metallica, not the other way around. Wink

Anyways, I think Eisley will probably mesh better with the orchestra in most minds because they're going acoustic and won't be playing metal. Laughing

Specifically, the orchestra, although miked, sounded as if it was playing in the same space. Do you know what I mean? If you ever listen to recordings that have wildly different reverb effects for each instrument, you notice it doesn't really work that well. It sounds as if each player is in a different hall. In this case, the bass drum sounds so muffled, dry, and completely out of character for the space they are in. When Eisley performs, I hope they use very minimal amplification. It would sound much better to just have a few local amplification devices for the band and leave the orchestra completely unmiked. I've never been to the hall in Seattle, but Orchestra Hall in Minneapolis has a particularly gorgeous sound that can easily ruined by miking the hell out of everything and just blasting some main speakers.

I realize the symphony was backing up Metallica, but I also realize that this was beneath them and they simply had to pay the bills. All they really orchestrated the symphony for were things completely basic and didn't really utilize any of the benefits of a world class orchestra. People don't go to the symphony to hear boring chords and cheesy guitar riffs played by violins. They go to hear soaring dynamics, virtuosic solos, exotic instruments, and a completely expressive ensemble. They could have easily just used synthesizers to get the sound and hire "hip" looking people to pretend to play violin, it would have had the exact same effect.

Most all symphonies have to deal with pops concerts, and most all symphonies are in debt. It's just not a profitable venture.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

That's the way his drums always sounded. It was one thing I noticed long ago on their albums(mostly "And Justice for All" I suppose), the drums sounded so dry and boxy, I thought it was just bad cheap recording back then but it was intentional. I guess he didn't want anything he did to get drowned out in reverb. It did give them a different sound though. In that video they almost sound artificial, like triggers.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
Last edited by Nowhere Man on Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

^It's sort of the metal sound that drummers seem to go for. It sounds much more like a digital trigger than an actual bass drum, I agree.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

tragedienne wrote:
I'll be there... weird, I know, since I live in Texas.

Holy crap...
my parents won't even take me to Dallas
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Metallica haven't needed to pay bills in ages, and in spite of what lies from pro-Napster sources are still lingering, they really aren't out for any more. The "S&M" thing was an experiment and I think it was actually a fund-raiser for the symphony. (I think Lars had been mentioning the symphony's financial problems for months beforehand.) They didn't get to rewrite their catalog for the performance, and the only member of the band that really had the classical performance chops to take advantage of it died in 1986, but I thought it was good fun. It was more Metallica augmented by the arrangements, and that's what they really had time to do, since it was a live performance and not a studio album or anything. It did get the San Francisco Symphony quite a bit of attention.

P.S. The production on "... And Justice For All" is legendarily crappy. Though the dry-as-bones drums and guitar did match the tone of desperation and hopelessness. If you check out their next album (the "Black" album), you'd hear how lush they made it in response. Their upcoming album meets the two in the middle.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
alinicole
Sea Post King

princesstripandfall wrote:
tragedienne wrote:
I'll be there... weird, I know, since I live in Texas.

Holy crap...
my parents won't even take me to Dallas

Well... it's a longer story than what I'm making it out to be. Wink

StuartBuck
Sea Post King

DRMS_7888 wrote:
(this was the San Francisco Symphony's most popular album ever, Rolling Eyes the drums are so laughably out of place, everything sounds like it's coming from a different sound source, and doesn't sound like an ensemble at all).

Wow. What is it with heavy metal groups playing with orchestras? I'd never heard of such a thing before, and now I find out that Alice in Chains and Metallica have done it. Weird.

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

StuartBuck wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:
(this was the San Francisco Symphony's most popular album ever, Rolling Eyes the drums are so laughably out of place, everything sounds like it's coming from a different sound source, and doesn't sound like an ensemble at all).

Wow. What is it with heavy metal groups playing with orchestras? I'd never heard of such a thing before, and now I find out that Alice in Chains and Metallica have done it. Weird.

I think they have as much right as other genres, too. Well, some metal bands who do more than try to show how metal they are to everyone ... It can be a diverse and musically rich genre.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
StuartBuck
Sea Post King

I like metal as a genre, I'm just saying that the juxtaposition of Metallica with an orchestra seems weird. For another example, I like a few hip-hop songs, and I also like bluegrass. But if Rihanna came out on stage with two banjo players, a fiddle, a harmonica, and a mouth harp, I'd wonder if it was supposed to be a joke.
StuartBuck
Sea Post King

For another example, this from real life, it just seems weird to me to see Luciano Pavarotti singing a duet with James Brown. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCIyzNISw1Q I like both those singers when they do their own thing, but together? Shocked Pavarotti did a lot of strange duets. Barry White, Queen, etc.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

^ I know, right? I was actually pretty surprised when I first heard Miss Sarajevo, it works really well. Maybe it's because Bono has a pretty classical sounding voice in his upper register, or maybe just because it's mixed and arranged so well.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Phobos IX
Sea Post King

Almost all good metal have classical elements to them, you'd all be very surprised

http://civic.moveon.org/stopthefcc//
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Phobos IX wrote:
Almost all good metal have classical elements to them, you'd all be very surprised

Indeed. I think the opinion of metal is a bit too low around here. Granted, the bands who hold up the style have not done many things I agree with or like lately ("we haven't progressed in 18 years, weee!") ... I still fully appreciate it.

mikep0922
Lost at Forum

This Seattle show with full orchestration sounds really great! And since both Laughing City and Sun Feet, are almost operatic in nature, they would be my choices!

Another band given the orchestral treatment, was the 1992 release 'The Symphonic Music of Yes,' produced by Alan Parsons, with Jon Anderson singing two of the tracks. Not quite the same thing as in Metallica's S&M, but interesting Smile

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

i say at least try one totally new song and record it.
Very Happy

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>