Laughing City
marshking
Sea Post King

Ok, so I'm writing a "Five Albums to Hear Before You Die"-type article for my college's newspaper. I'm still upset over the fact that our editor-in-chief (who only got editor-in-chief because student council picks the Newspaper's editor.. She was student body president) picked one of her sorority sisters to be the Entertainment Editor instead of me. She's not even a journalism major but that is another topic...

Anyway. I'm doing a column on five albums you must know, blah blah blah. I know I want to include an Eisley release, but I just cannot decide between Room Noises and Combinations.

I'm not sure which one is more college-student friendly. Friendlier to the "masses."

I'm biased because Eisley is my favorite band, so it's a hard decision for me. Any input?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

It's absolutely sickening when that kind of crap happens. There will be a sad awakening when they realize almost the entire staff is criminally unprepared for working at a real newspaper. (I was on college newspaper staffs for my entire college education, and worked professionally for about five years before switching to photography.)

That's a tough pick. I think for showing the true breadth of Eisley's abilities, I'd go with Room Noises. But that's only because it's basically a best of album for their first several years of existence. ha. However, Combinations is much more focused, better produced, more mature (songwriting and theme-wise) and tighter in general. But like I said, if I were introducing, I'd probably pick Room Noises, since it covers a larger span of Eisley's work.

Ok, I'm not helping at all. Confused

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
But like I said, if I were introducing, I'd probably pick Room Noises, since it covers a larger span of Eisley's work.

+1
marshking
Sea Post King

TheAntrider wrote:
It's absolutely sickening when that kind of crap happens. There will be a sad awakening when they realize almost the entire staff is criminally unprepared for working at a real newspaper. (I was on college newspaper staffs for my entire college education, and worked professionally for about five years before switching to photography.)

That's a tough pick. I think for showing the true breadth of Eisley's abilities, I'd go with Room Noises. But that's only because it's basically a best of album for their first several years of existence. ha. However, Combinations is much more focused, better produced, more mature (songwriting and theme-wise) and tighter in general. But like I said, if I were introducing, I'd probably pick Room Noises, since it covers a larger span of Eisley's work.

Ok, I'm not helping at all. Confused

No, you helped! And yeah, the politics of school newspapers are complete crap.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

I'd put Room Noises, because it's seems to have had a bigger impact than Combinations. Who knows in the next ten years Combinations could be one of those obscure albums that influenced a whole movement. But as time is set now I'd say Room Noises.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

marshking wrote:
No, you helped! And yeah, the politics of school newspapers are complete crap.

Whew, I'm glad I could help!

Yeah ... in some ways it does prepare you for reality, in that you can get stuck with idiot bosses who are incompetent and chosen for stupid reasons. However, even most of those idiot bosses have a little clue about what they are doing, especially if you consider larger newspapers. Otherwise, any setup that includes an editor who is selected in a social vote completely betrays the educational value of the college newspaper. I am very glad to have been part of two (junior college and university) independent newspapers who at least made informed picks among true journalism students, even if they were not always the best ones. You'd never see a celebrity voted editor of The New York Times, would you?

But I am WAY off topic here. And it's probably best you don't trash talk anything that would give away who you are, lest you get canned when they search for you on Google. Smile

Uhm, how about that Eisley? Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
vintage_snowflake
Golly, Poster

I'd definately say Room Noises. I just like the album overall better.
oliez
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
I'd put Room Noises, because it's seems to have had a bigger impact than Combinations.

I don't know about that. Combinations hit 70 on the Billboard 200 while Room Noises peaked at 189 (but got to 6 on Top Heatseakers). Compared to the initial hit of Room Noises, Combinations' was a lot louder with the attachment to Barnes and Noble, with all the magazine ads and other promos. I don't ever remember seeing an ad for Room Noises in any magazine, but it's been a while.

I might be alone here, but I think for the general college crowd, Combinations might be the best bet.
redboots
Sea Post King

I personally love Room Noises a lot more than Combinations. But for some reason I feel like Combinations would appeal more to the masses. It has more love songs, with different lyrics. Room Noises has more of a "fantasy" feel to it. A lot of Laughing Citizens have been posting that they have heard Eisley around town and in stores and such--and I dont know if you took notice, but it seems the majority of the time they are songs from Combinations, with the exception of Telescope Eyes. Maybe I am just over analyzing because Combinations is a much more recent album than Room Noises.

Also, if you chose Combinations, it would help make Combinations' life a little longer Smile.

So, if I were you, and I wanted to get Eisley to the masses, I would write about Combinations. It would probably be more successful in gaining them fans. However, if I just wanted to list the best one, and it had nothing to do with helping Eisley out, I would pick Room Noises.

I'm sorry about you not getting to be editor, thats just crap. Unfortunately it seems like a lot of the time in those situations it's not knowledge and talent that matters, but connections.
Joined: 30 May 2008 | Posts: 309 | Location: above the tree tops
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Hm, I actually like Combinations better, in spite of my pick. I chose the pick purely as a portrayal of Eisley's many facets, which I feel are displayed better by Room Noises -- but only because it had the misfortune of becoming a greatest hits album of sort. Thus, while Combinations covers about a one or two year span and a more focused window topic-wise, Room Noises hits on many bases. Thus making it a better introduction in my eyes.

I just wanted to differentiate myself from the other RN pickers, since I have different reasons. ha ha.

gilbert
Sea Post King

If your talking about the albums that you need your college audience to appreciate than i would definitely go with Combinations, mainly due to the fact that it will show a broad range of eisley(in my opinion). Which will most likely induce them to listen to them a little more. It's like a Combination(a thank you) of old and newer esque Eisley material. Personally i like room noises better because of certain songs but Combinations is a much more condensed give em what they came for album.

i hope that helped.
i'm not exactly the best putting-into-words kinda guy....
good luck with dumb editors Smile
roosevelt!
Sea Post King

I'd go with Combinations mainly because it's there more current sound, and as redboots said, it would make the album's life a little longer.
golly_sandra
Vintage Newbie

If you don't mind me asking.. what are the other four?
soupey
Sea Post King

redboots wrote:
I personally love Room Noises a lot more than Combinations. But for some reason I feel like Combinations would appeal more to the masses. It has more love songs, with different lyrics. Room Noises has more of a "fantasy" feel to it. A lot of Laughing Citizens have been posting that they have heard Eisley around town and in stores and such--and I dont know if you took notice, but it seems the majority of the time they are songs from Combinations, with the exception of Telescope Eyes. Maybe I am just over analyzing because Combinations is a much more recent album than Room Noises.

Also, if you chose Combinations, it would help make Combinations' life a little longer :).

So, if I were you, and I wanted to get Eisley to the masses, I would write about Combinations. It would probably be more successful in gaining them fans. However, if I just wanted to list the best one, and it had nothing to do with helping Eisley out, I would pick Room Noises.

I'm sorry about you not getting to be editor, thats just crap. Unfortunately it seems like a lot of the time in those situations it's not knowledge and talent that matters, but connections.

I agree. Combinations is a better introductory album because it's more accesible and less dreamy indie.

Caley
Lost at Forum

I think if you're going for friendlier to the masses, I think Combinations is the better pick. My sister, who is very radio-oriented, loves Combinations yet dislikes Room Noises. Combinations is more mature and it probably doesn't sound completely different from what you may typically listen to on the radio (for her it's country). That's probably why she enjoyed the album so much... But I really don't know what she had such a 180 -- she's never given me a clear explanation.