Laughing City
Arex
Sea Post King

Everyone, for the most part, remembers where they were the morning of the September 11th attacks. I certainly do because it's quite a reminder on my birthday, (enter ticker tape explosion). Ok, well, the reason for my post is to ask the Eisley girls and guys/family/friends alike if they remember exactly where they were, what they were doing, etc. whenever they heard the news.

(No, it doesn't directly deal with the band on a musical aspect or anything but I thought it might be interesting to hear what they, and everyone else in this forum were up to at the time.)

P.s. this post is definitely not meant to be a gloom filled topic either. Yes, it was a tragic event but I'm not looking to create a debate about anything. Just simply lookin to see what the Eisley crew was up to Smile
Joined: 24 May 2008 | Posts: 38 | Location: Midlothian/Denton, Tx
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

twenty miles off galveston, fishing. Heard about it event by event via marine radio alerts. Thought about heading the other way and seeking refugee status in the dominican repulic!
osoeloquente
Sea Post King

I was in my 6th grade class and they wouldn't tell us what happened. All of my friends were getting picked up from school and it was confusing. Haha.
norad
Vintage Newbie

I think I was in my math class and my teacher told us. This was 7th grade. We watched the news in my social studies class.
Catey
Lost at Forum

I was in my mandatory German after-school class in Year 8 and Bin Laden TOTALLY ruined my 13th birthday fyi. Thats my own personal vendetta....I like to be so self involved that I believe he did it on purpose so that everyonw would forget September 12th.
Joined: 02 Aug 2005 | Posts: 1086 | Location: Essex, England
Dan and Sam
Golly, Poster

Iwas at work at the hospital and a friend called and said she'd just heard on the radio that 'a plane' had crashed into the WTC. Of course, at first, we all assumed it was a private plane and an accident... then someone wheeled a TV in on an AV cart, and we started watching the live coverage, and realized it was a whole lot more than that... Crying or Very sad
ghost in the snow
Golly, Poster

i was in school half an hour away and my dad was in the city two blocks away from the towers. no one could get through because of the cell reception problems so those 6 hours before he called were the worst of my life.
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

I was a freshman in my Spanish class, and this kid ran in and said, "We got bombed!" At first considering the fact that September 10th was a post-Columbine world, I assumed he meant the school. Then we turned on the tv and we saw the north tower standing alone. I didn't even know know what city it was at first. Then it said it was the WTC.

I remembered back in '99 when I was coming back from Orlando, and the plane was circling the WTC--waiting to land in the Newark airport. When I first saw it I thought, "WOW! The World Trade Center!" However, after seeing it out of the window for a half-hour or so, I thought, "I'm sick of looking at it. It's going to be there forever." GOOD CALL ON MY PART!

Then the same kid asked, "Who did this?" And everyone else in the class (save me) said that they didn't know. Then I said Osama Bin Laden, and everyone asked who he was.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
ks1990
Lost at Forum

I was in a school assembly, and was like 10 years old. I was so confused as to what was going on, alls i remember is seeing it everywhere on the news when i got home.
rox_my_sox
Sea Post King

I was in 6th grade...I'm not sure what I was doing when it happened, but later on in the day some teachers just put on the news and let us watch...
golly_sandra
Vintage Newbie

6th grade, and we had just passed to our second period, so I was in world history. Everyone was getting picked up and the teachers wouldn't tell us the details as to what was going on. The entire school was put on a lock-down... it was just chaos that day.
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

6th grade social science. The school went on lockdown and they played the television broadcast live over the intercom for two hours until we were dismissed. I ran home and watched the news with my mom, who worked for a phone company and got off work, for the rest of the day.
Vintage Newbie

My school day, ending at 3.15 in the afternoon, had finished. I was due to be at the dentist at about 5.30. Sometimes I accompanied my friends to their bus stop, before turning back toward school and my bus stop. A small gang - about 3 - followed me and started harassing me. They insulted me, pushed me. One of them said something like "let's go down there" - my brain told me to refuse the offer of going downhill to the enclosed car-park. . I panicked, ran, at least one followed, thwacked me on the back of my head hard enough to knock me down by the pavement of the (relatively) quiet road. I was in a state of mild shock, was attended to quickly by an older man, and I went home. I missed the appointment, my mum was up the walls because I had d missed yet another appointment (missing piano lessons were my forte) , and my dad was home early for some reason. . My mum said something about some planes being hijacked, so we came through to the TV and watched whatever events remained. I think we only saw the replays.

My mates were called in to the deputy headmaster's office, we gave descriptions and what-not, their school was contacted. Never heard of them again. I saw one of them once, a few months after, on the same bus. I nearly freaked out, but fortunately I forced myself to stare at the paper, turning the pages occasionally. Actually, being called out of class to go to the deputy was quite hilarious. Everyone looked at me and was probably thinking I was in serious trouble, which was a funny thought, given that I'm the headmaster's son...

This morning, in the car on the way to school - we weren't going to school: my dad was just dropping us off there, as it happens to be in town, and we both had to be in town early - my dad reminded us that today's the eleventh. My mum said, "I'll always associate you (me) with being at the dentist". "or not...", I replied.

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
oliez
Vintage Newbie

8th grade. a friend ran up to me between first and second hour saying a plane hit one of the towers. I had no idea what the towers were and was still waking up and laughed him off and then when I walked into my second class the t.v. was on and we watched it from right after the second plane hit till the second tower fell. I remember the news channel we had it on had a call from someone in the area of the first tower that was hit and they were talking to her as the tower started to fall. She was screaming so loud and they lost her. It was insane.

After that the school made us turn all the televisions off. It was a strange day. The lines at the gas stations being out into the road, walmart being the busiest I've ever seen it, i just remember chaos.
Last edited by oliez on Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I was in my first semester at my university (I was a junior), and I had to get up early to attend this stupid scholarship session thing. Anyway, I got up too late and missed it, in spite of trying to get there on time. So I went to the newspaper office to kill some time when I noticed that everyone was gathered around the TV. They said planes flew into the twin towers, and that they were on fire. I knew it was definitely a terrorist attack (duh), though no one was quite sure about anything else at the moment. Then they mentioned Osama bin Laden, and I knew immediately that it had to be him. I head heard about him some previously, and eerily, I was looking through back issues of the paper months later to discover he was mentioned in Parade Magazine just the Sunday before. Well, it was eerier then, but anyway ...

I watched and saw the towers collapse, and then had to attend that scholarship thing, where they talked incessantly about how we need to boost these rich donors' egos. All the while people were dying and no one knew when it would end. But those scholarships are too important!

After class, I went immediately to my job at the city newspaper, where I was saturated with hundreds of uncut stories and grizzly, heartbreaking pictures on the wires. I went home that night and stared at the TV for a few hours. By then, the towers were smoldering piles, into which rescuers desperately dug for any hope of survivors. Jets flew overhead and the world was a much, much different place.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

goto page
 | next >>