Laughing City
Adam Watson
Sea Post King

Hey kids, I'm a young film maker and I just finished work on a music video set to Eisley's Birghtly Wound for use as a portfolio piece to showcase my skills as cinematographer and director, also for you you all to enjoy!

Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We3QdzCl7u8&fmt=18

HD vimeo.com version
http://vimeo.com/1821118

The whole look of the video is based on what I imagine when listening to the song and is not meant in any way to reflect the look or style of the actual band Eisley. Any similarities are purley coincidental.

For all you videophiles out there I shot it on location in Sedona, AZ using an HVX200, a 35mm adapter and a 50mm Canon lens. The whole video was shot for a mere $700 (most of the cost was food and a broken window).

Rate it! Comment! Let me know what you think!

Peace
Last edited by Adam Watson on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Jared x
Lost at Forum

I really enjoyed the dual verse portion of the song with the two girls. However, I think the forward walking/singing was a bit boring. Had you incorporated a bit more action, like that which started toward the end around 3:10, I think it would have made for a more interesting video. Maybe more shots in the field of yellow flowers? I especially liked when the darker haired girl played with the flower on the tree.

Overall, great work! It's one of my favorite songs of Eisley's, and I loved the pretty setting you placed the girls in.

mikep0922
Lost at Forum

My favorite Eisley song! I get tears in my eyes every time I hear it! Your video is so beautiful! Thanks! Smile
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

It was really annoying seeing random girls singing those parts, i wanted to punch the first girl in the face, actually. i can't lie.

great filming though, I was impressed.

If I were you I'd find a local band that wants a video made.
It would be a little less lame if the people in the video were the people who made the actual music.

norad
Vintage Newbie

cynlovescandy wrote:
It was really annoying seeing random girls singing those parts, i wanted to punch the first girl in the face, actually. i can't lie.

I agree with this.
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

Makes me wish summer wasn't over already!

I like the girl playing the marimba with a flower.

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

patrock wrote:
cynlovescandy wrote:

I agree with this.

Ditto. But I think I have a girlcrush on the one with the lipring. She looked way more natural than the other two. Were they actually singing along when you filmed it, or lip-synching? From the work I've done on my own music video I find that singing along actually looks more natural... People tend to exaggerate facial movements when they lipsynch.

It also seemed like your camera work was a little shaky. It detracted from the video a little in a couple scenes.

I really liked the washed out bit on the bridge, and the bit at the end where they get up and run. Pretty sweet result for less than $700!

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

cynlovescandy wrote:

If I were you I'd find a local band that wants a video made.
It would be a little less lame if the people in the video were the people who made the actual music.

I agree with this also. Well I didn't really want to punch the girl but it was strange to hear those voices come from other girls. Nice setting and filming.

Also I like the way it looks sort of slo-mo. Is it slo-mo or is it just the dreamy music? If it's slo-mo they would have to lip-sync to a sped up version of the song, right?

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
Dan and Sam
Golly, Poster

Over all, very nice! I liked it. thanks for sharing Smile
Adam Watson
Sea Post King

Nowhere Man wrote:

I agree with this also. Well I didn't really want to punch the girl but it was strange to hear those voices come from other girls. Nice setting and filming.

Also I like the way it looks sort of slo-mo. Is it slo-mo or is it just the dreamy music? If it's slo-mo they would have to lip-sync to a sped up version of the song, right?

It was slo-mo! Like you guessed, I did a trick where I record in slow motion and have the girls sing to a sped up version of the song. When I line it up in post, it matches up to the regular version of the song but all the movements look slow. I got the idea from a beastie boys video, but it is in a lot of other videos too. Someone asked if they sang or lip synced. The either lip synced or sang very quietly. One of my regrets for the video is that I didn't have them sing it out to get those lip movements looking a bit better. Oh well, live and learn.

I can understand why the fact that Eisley isn't in the video would be distracting to all you Eiesley fans. (punching is a bit harsh though) Also I would love to do videos for local bands, that's what this video is for! It's an easy way to get my work out there so that local bands can see me work and want me to produce videos for them(and maybe give me enough money to rent a proper stedicam for it). I also did one other video this way, of a Bjork song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AntERR4lt90

The two videos will show my spectrum of style as a cinematographer.

Thanks for the comments!
kathymunster
Golly, Poster

i liked the filming,
but i had problems with the girls. they were always smiling which seemed fake and i didnt like the way they sang to me it seemed obvious they were lip synching?
but maybe its just cos i KNEW they were lip synching.
but i did like how you did the dual singing

-Mae West
emilytheanteater
Sea Post King

i thot it was a great vid. i really liked the colors and their dresses. and although i wud've liked that it WAS eisley that sung this, if i wasn't an eisley fan i wud've thot the girls were really the actual singers. i think we're all just biased on this one here cuz we all know we'd like more eis-vids... =)
Cendrillon
Golly, Poster

I liked the aesthetic of it, in general, but yeah, um, honestly, I got bored at about the two girls singing part and stopped watching. I agree with whoever said they looked too happy and there could've been more action besides walking/singing. Sorry...
pumamina
Golly, Poster

I love video making but i can never find actors ugh
nice work but like what was already said try using people who are actually singing and playing the music next time
you gotta start somewhere

singsoftly
Golly, Poster

pumamina wrote:
I love video making but i can never find actors ugh
nice work but like what was already said try using people who are actually singing and playing the music next time
you gotta start somewhere

I liked it, the girls are really cute, especially the one with straight hair lip ring. didn't bother me it wasn't the real girls because I knew it wasn't going to be.

When I fly solo, I fly so high.