Laughing City
voxear
Sea Post King

Yes, Tiger Mountain Peasant Song/Robin Pecknold/Fleet Foxes is that worthy of musical obsession. Although I'm not very happy with them right now because they scheduled and then unscheduled a Houston gig... so if you guys ever tour together (please do), bring 'em down, okay?
jamiga
Vintage Newbie

Fellow LCers: if you are confused, check Stacys new journal entry.
seefoamgreen
Sea Post King

That is a good song....
I've been listening to a lot of stuff that is out of my ordinary taste in music, and I think it's because Stacy posted that Hot Chip video one day, and since then I've been listening to a lot of electro-pop as well as super chill acoustic music. Weird combo, but it's been appeasing my ears lately.

What I've been listening to NONSTOP lately:

MGMT
M83
Fleet Foxes
Goldfrapp
The Ting Tings
Sigur Ros' NEWEST album (I've been a fan of them for years, but the new stuff is amazzzing.)
Rogue Wave
Ryan Adam & The Cardinals - Specifically EASY TIGER.

http://www.myspace.com/tiffinycostello
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

seefoamgreen wrote:
What I've been listening to NONSTOP lately:

MGMT
The Ting Tings
Rogue Wave

YES YES YES. all good. i am in LOVE with the Ting Tings. very fun and dancy music.

and i hadn't heard of Fleet Fox until Christie, which was only like ten minutes ago, then i came here. ha.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
blisteredavalon
Sea Post King

the fleet foxes are awesome
White Winter Hymnal and Blue Ridge Mountains are my favorites right now
oooh and i might see them here in seattle at the moore theater in october
yayyyyyy

sharrkmaster
Sea Post King

Anyone else find the vulgar argument in the comments hilarious? Warning: discretion is advised if you guys want to read through it...
Joined: 10 Mar 2008 | Posts: 136 | Location: Edmond, Oklahoma
pumamina
Golly, Poster

I started reading the comments then got bored and returned to my homework
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Last night she had a link to a different video. This one:Blue Ridge Mountains
I like that song a lot.

They remind me of what I ignorantly think My Morning Jacket sounds like, but you have to understand that my only real exposure to My Morning Jacket is the song Mahgeetah(which I love). I've heard other MMJ songs that sound way different, anyway I think it's that great deep reverb.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
vintage_snowflake
Golly, Poster

http://www.eisley.com/laughingcity/viewtopic.php?t=35144
from not all that long ago.
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

well, i'd heard of them, but i didn't really listen all too closely until Stacy posted that link… they kind of remind me of My Morning Jacket, Akron/Family, and maybe even a little bit of Animal Collective, but listening to their stuff hasn't been anywhere near as mind-blowing an experience as any i've had with those bands — which isn't exactly an insult, it's just that when i first heard those bands it was something i responded to immediatly (although not nessecarily positively), while i think these guys are going to take some time to grow on me, and i probably won't ever think of them as highly. still, they seem like a pretty cool band, and i'll definitely be listening for what they do in the future.

oh, it seems they've got some pretty decent facial hair, too, which is, of course, extremely important…
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

They do harmonize well, don't they! Smile
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Rogue Wave seemed a better fit opening for Death Cab, but as far as music goes, this very much reminds me of EARLY Genesis, pre-1978 Genesis, with and just after Peter Gabriel left them. Like most, a theatre/ music major hipped me to the fact Peter Gabriel make that kind of chamber music, and was even in Genesis.

Then there's Return of the Frog Queen, (Jeremy Enigk) also in this vein if you dig that kind of stuff, Jose Gonzalez, Simon and Garfunkel, Crosby, Stills, and Nash, pre-1970 Tim Buckley, and Joni Mitchell. Honestly, this is a whole lot like Sting's Songs from the Labyrinth, I kid you not. Guess these guys are newer, younger and hipper though, so they get a pass?
At least in these circles Folk is back. It's not bad stuff.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

wilsmith wrote:
Rogue Wave seemed a better fit opening for Death Cab, but as far as music goes, this very much reminds me of EARLY Genesis, pre-1978 Genesis, with and just after Peter Gabriel left them. Like most, a theatre/ music major hipped me to the fact Peter Gabriel make that kind of chamber music, and was even in Genesis.

Then there's Return of the Frog Queen, (Jeremy Enigk) also in this vein if you dig that kind of stuff, Jose Gonzalez, Simon and Garfunkel, Crosby, Stills, and Nash, pre-1970 Tim Buckley, and Joni Mitchell. Honestly, this is a whole lot like Sting's Songs from the Labyrinth, I kid you not. Guess these guys are newer, younger and hipper though, so they get a pass?
At least in these circles Folk is back. It's not bad stuff.

i honestly don't really hear any of that...
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Hey I guess I wasn't too far off with the My Morning Jacket thing. I just remember loving Mahgeetah but the clips of their other songs weren't the same, more like Almond Bros or Marshall Tucker haha. Who'd a thunk southern fried rock would be cool again. Fleet Foxes don't sound like an old southern rock band though, more folksy. Are they hillbillies from the mountains?
Oh yeah, I also hear a Led Zeppelin influence in there.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

Nowhere Man wrote:
Hey I guess I wasn't too far off with the My Morning Jacket thing. I just remember loving Mahgeetah but the clips of their other songs weren't the same, more like Almond Bros or Marshall Tucker haha. Who'd a thunk southern fried rock would be cool again. Fleet Foxes don't sound like an old southern rock band though, more folksy. Are they hillbillies from the mountains?

well, My Morning Jacket definitely is a “Southern Rock” band (which is pretty much the worst label ever — Rock comes from the south, and the only thing that separates a Southern Rock band from any other Rock band is that you can still actually hear the Country and Blues roots of Rock in their music, but, then again, that's also true of The Rolling Stones and The White Stripes and any number of other bands who'd never be labeled “Southern Rock”, and, worst of all, i'm pretty sure that term was one made up by music critics in New York City [or some such place] as a means of just dismissing a whole chunk of band's music as being absolutely worthless [after all, a bunch of redneck hicks can't possibly make good music; you know, like Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, etc.]), but they've always been far more eclectic than that might suggest, and they've never been afraid to get a little weird or spacey here and there, and it's that spacier music that i'm really comparing to Fleet Foxes (although i love plenty of the more straight-up Southern Rock stuff, too) — well, that, and the guy's vocals are kind of similar. My Morning Jacket is one of those bands who you can't even really begin to appreciate by just listening to “clips” — if you liked Mahgeetah, then you'll probably like the rest…

oh, and Fleet Foxes aren't hillbillies from the mountains, they're hippies from Seattle!