You don't vote...
20%
 20%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 50

olimario
Laughing Citizen

cynlovescandy wrote:
I vote because I can.
I just wish voting was like computer solitaire.
i can just click "deal!" everytime my hand sucks.

oh well. i definitely go with the lesser evil.

and, sorry guys...not voting is not a form of expression.
prove me wrong.

well...

Quote:
I do think that informed not voting is a form of expression. Politicians constantly fret over dwindling voting turnout. I might wonder that if historically low voter turnout might not help change the current two-party landscape. (My expression will be a written in vote for a certain Texas Congressman, though.) I think seeing stronger numbers for third-party candidates is a better way to change the current system.

I like my logic behind it.
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

I vote for whichever candidate, of the remaining, is the better one for our country's future in my opinion. I wouldn't call that the lesser of two evils, just because my favorite candidate didn't make it through the primaries. Politicians all have their good and bad points.
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

olimario wrote:
cynlovescandy wrote:
I vote because I can.
I just wish voting was like computer solitaire.
i can just click "deal!" everytime my hand sucks.

oh well. i definitely go with the lesser evil.

prove me wrong.

well...

Quote:
I do think that informed not voting is a form of expression. Politicians constantly fret over dwindling voting turnout. I might wonder that if historically low voter turnout might not help change the current two-party landscape. (My expression will be a written in vote for a certain Texas Congressman, though.) I think seeing stronger numbers for third-party candidates is a better way to change the current system.

I like my logic behind it.

you're right. i'm wrong...

I could be completely out of the loop, but in reality, most people who choose not to vote either didn't make the time, didn't register in time, or are apathetic, indecisive...etc. so in my opinion, that logic sounds like a cop out. (not you specifically, just in general). if you disagree, that's totally okay, I just speak from my experiences, which I realize are different from others.

Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

I have a question for those of you who don't vote: Do you vote in local elections and not for the Presidential ones or do you forgo it all together?

And I have to disagree with you, olimario. I think increased numbers of write-ins won't do much to change the two party system since it is something that would most likely happen very slowly. I think the best solution to that particular problem, as well as the one Rb has of "why vote if my state will go the opposite way regardless" is to get rid of the electoral college. But that's a different topic entirely.

Lost at Forum

I will vote. I dislike it that people don't vote, honestly. I have voted twice since I turned 18 -- once for governor of Texas and all of the stuff that went with it, once in the presidential primaries. I will vote again for the race. Do I care that regardless of who I vote for in this state, Red will prevail? Nah. At least I can say I did my part to try.
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

I'll just say this now, I hate it when people vote because they 'can' (that's blacks, women, and 18-20-year-olds). I think that if you don't know what you're voting for (not what you think you're voting for) you shouldn't vote. I don't really agree with everything (anything) that Cubs is voting for, however, it's obvious that he's done his homework so I can respect his vote. However, he's got it right in the 'why' category. There was never a perfect candidate, so the best anybody can do is the lesser of two evils.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
vivalaspopie wrote:
i really hope all the people who selected "you don't vote" are just too young to.

Nope.
I chose not to vote and I'm of age. It's my right, no?

I don't believe a thing from either of the candidates that actually have a chance to win.
Lol, oh just admit that you're not registered to vote.
Razz

olimario
Laughing Citizen

I have to agree that misinformed voting is worse than not voting. Or people who just subscribe to a party and vote for that party regardless.

I don't think anything is going to change the horrible and corrupt two party system until enough Americans see a third party candidate as viable. I think the only way for that to happen is for people all toss their protest votes at the same person.

Ron Paul would have been a good choice this election, but he bailed once the Republicans shunned him. Poor guy will probably be too old in 2012, too.
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
JBaker wrote:
vivalaspopie wrote:
i really hope all the people who selected "you don't vote" are just too young to.

Nope.

I don't believe a thing from either of the candidates that actually have a chance to win.
Razz

I'm actually a registered independent in the state of Texas.
SO BACK OFF, WOMAN!

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
tahruh wrote:
JBaker wrote:
vivalaspopie wrote:

Nope.

Razz

I'm actually a registered independent in the state of Texas.
SO BACK OFF, WOMAN!

Make sure it's smaller than your thumb before you beat her.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
Phobos IX
Sea Post King

cynlovescandy wrote:

prove me wrong.

Imagine an election year when only 400 people in all of america voted? Of course, that would never happen, but that would be the ultimate "$#@! you" from the people to congress. It would be a message and it would say "We, the undersigned of the FUSA (Former United States Of America) no longer give a $#@! about you. We have tried and tried, but we can not love a nation whose personification would be that one prideful drunk guy in the bar who wants to fight everyone."

http://civic.moveon.org/stopthefcc//
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

It's funny, but when you think about it, one vote means 'nothing' and it means 'everything!'

In the 60's a lot of people died, literally gave their lives, so that others could exercise their constitutional right to vote!

The two major parties really do represent the two fundamental differences in a democracy or republic; liberalism and conservatism. One can 'bend,' the other can't. Which is better? That's the fundamental question! And that's what we vote on every four years, those two fundamental ideas, embodied by the two major parties!

So yes, voting is very important, and not to be taken lightly!

olimario
Laughing Citizen

I hate that it's either one extreme or the other.

I hate that each extreme is represented by special interest serving career politicians who can't even start to fathom George Washington's idea of a civil servant.

I hate that each election is basically a 50/50 split so our country leans to either one extreme or the other on the whims of the voters and their susceptibility to propaganda.

The system is about as flawed as anyone could have envisioned and I refuse to compromise my ideals to the degree it would take to get me to vote either R or D in this election.
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

mikep0922 wrote:

In the 60's a lot of people died, literally gave their lives, so that others could exercise their constitutional right to vote!

No.
They died so that others could have freedom.

i.e. The freedom to choose whether you want to vote or not.

vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

I think that everyone should have the option to vote or not, but I also believe there is almost no good reason to not vote. I will be voting third party. It was a tough decision because I know my candidate will not come even close to winning, but after studying history I understand their importance. That said, I think there is a lot more that one can do to help their nation and its people than just voting once every four years!

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>