Laughing City
Kit
Sea Post King

wow

http://www.punknews.org/article/31204
Retrovertigo
Sea Post King

Yikes.

All I really know about these deals is that the label starts taking a cut of everything, including merch. In exchange for what?

Run, Eisley, run!!!

edit: I visited the link Kit provided, and some posters there (the two that weren't trying to be the class clown) raised an excellent question: Is that even legal if the band has an existing contract? Someone here has got to know.

keithabbott
Sea Post King

I'm guessing if Warner goes through with this, there will likley be a class action suit against them. I can't imagine they can change the terms of the agreement without the consent of the artist. It could be, if you don't do this..you're dropped.

If that's the case, I'd say go indie. My guess is Boyd already knew about this. That's a good bet why he's got that management partner. Between the two of them, they can hire all the right companies to keep Eisley moving without the aid of Warner or another major label. They could easily find an indie willing to take them on.

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

They claim it's jusified because marketing for CD sales helps tours and merch sales.

I don't think I've ever seen an Eisley advertisement.

Also, I like the reply on that page, the user's name is F***INGF***INGF***ING

Laughing

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

Quote:
It is not completely without justification labels argue, as they are responsible for marketing and promotion of the bands and advertising can boost touring as well as CD sales revenue. Still, the move is particularly controversial since it ties the label and band together so tightly and bands with established touring careers (like Warner-signee Against Me!) may be giving up revenue that the label has not really earned, some argue.

really? Where was Eisley's marketing and promotion? OH! that's right, WB didn't promote them. sorry, i forgot... Rolling Eyes

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Time to bail, kids.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
blisteredavalon
Sea Post King

i agree, Eisley needs to run now, and fast.
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

So WB will take more money from their roster in return for...nothing. Gee, what a great partnership. Why not appeal to Congress for a piece of the bailout pie while you're at it.

I wonder who's been paying for the recent EisWood sessions.

Nightmare
Vintage Newbie

I'll be your new A&R guy. I'm offering great deals right now.
Joined: 28 Apr 2005 | Posts: 3505 | Location: In your dreams
Jared x
Lost at Forum

Wow. That's just... I know very little about the music industry, but that's just crap.
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Someone PM me with the new, underground website address. Better set it up before WB takes over all rights to this one. At least get the fan base over there (part-time), before there is no more over here, if this gets ugly (as music corps tend to always in the end). How many different ways can you smash the goose before you no longer have any golden eggs???

My post on page 3 of the following thread explains how even big stars get nothing in the end (through the surprisingly coherent words of Courtney Love in 2000). The sooner Eisley can go indie, the better.

http://www.eisley.com/laughingcity/viewtopic.php?t=31750&postdays=0&po storder=asc&start=0
kulvir
Laughing Citizen

DRMS_7888 wrote:
They claim it's jusified because marketing for CD sales helps tours and merch sales.

I don't think I've ever seen an Eisley advertisement.
Using that logic, touring helps CD sales so artists should get a bigger cut of CD revenues. Their argument pretty much comes down to we deserve more money.
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

That is some (vocabulary mishap)!
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

As a fan, I feel that I should get a cut of all the CD and concert ticket sales that I helped creative through word-of-mouth advertising.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
lookingXglass
Golly, Poster

What capitalistic douche bags.

"I don't wanna touch you and feel so helpless; I don't wanna smell you and lose my senses" Rufus Wainwright, Foolish Love
Joined: 28 Dec 2007 | Posts: 807 | Location: Wouldn't you like to know?