Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>

My feelings on the use of AutoTune on a lead vocal are as so...
It sucks.
34%
 34%  [ 16 ]
I love it.
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if used in moderation.
27%
 27%  [ 13 ]
Is it just to cover the fact that these people can't sing?
29%
 29%  [ 14 ]
none of these - i will address in my reply
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 47

Jared x
Lost at Forum

uncreative wrote:
Jared x wrote:
Speaking of Auto Tune, has anyone downloaded the I Am T-Pain app for the iPhone? Auto Tune on the go. Hahaha. It's great fun.

Is it worth $2.99?

Oh jeez, I just saw that it has "I'm On A Boat" (for an additional .99 Rolling Eyes I might have to get it, though... haha).

$2.99 isn't a lot of money. Wink I enjoy it enough, and I haven't even started getting my friends to sing into it. I can't wait to go out this weekend, and be like, "Hey guys...sing for me." Very Happy Haha.
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

Jared x wrote:
uncreative wrote:
Jared x wrote:
Speaking of Auto Tune, has anyone downloaded the I Am T-Pain app for the iPhone? Auto Tune on the go. Hahaha. It's great fun.

Is it worth $2.99?

Oh jeez, I just saw that it has "I'm On A Boat" (for an additional .99 Rolling Eyes I might have to get it, though... haha).

$2.99 isn't a lot of money. Wink I enjoy it enough, and I haven't even started getting my friends to sing into it. I can't wait to go out this weekend, and be like, "Hey guys...sing for me." Very Happy Haha.

Yeah but it adds up! I just bought it tonight at the bar, though. All I needed was a bit of alcohol in me to be like "It's only $2.99 and you just spent $5.50 on that mason jar of beer!" Laughing I opened it up and tried it but I haven't really figured out how to do it yet. I'll play around on it tomorrow.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Behold, the Death of Autotune will not be that Jay-Z song that's not really that great, it will be this new genre of music I read about and heard a little of... get ready (by plugging your ears) for Crunkcore Sad

We've been warned.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
bigideas wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Chronic-Re-Lit-Vault-CD-DVD/dp/B002IVLWQK  /ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1252528721&sr=1-2

new cuts and uncensored video.

luckily someone has put up all the unreleased jams on imeem. at least one of those with Snoop trumps some of the stuff on The Chronic/Doggystyle for me. just one listen through though.

also:

what about Jay-Z/Blueprint III - supposed to come out Friday but Best Buy already had em out (or 1 and 2 for that matter - i saw they are selling them packaged together - worth getting?)

Kid Cudi's album comes out in the next week or so.

Jay-Z pushed the date up to the 8th for whatever reason... Probably to get a jump on bootleggers and leaks, and it's in bad taste to release on the 11th if it's not a Tuesday by happenstance, he shoulda figured that out a while ago. It happens he released the first blueprint on the 11th, but his anniversary of a release doesn't Trump the other one. that J-hova stuff went to his head...

Meanwhile, the music on those records is top notch hip hop production, can't speak for the lyrical content, that's why I never got into him, it just didn't speak to me as a person lyrically. I come from that Conscious-Rap background, and I guess the bboy backpacker circles too, which Jay-Z got a pass on because he was so clever lyrically. The drug trade and hustling never appealed to me though. Most how live to tell about it try and just get out of it by hook or crook, and I spent a chunk of my life close enough to all that to want to bid it farewell for good ASAP.

over all these years the only Jay-Z song that stood out to me that i wanted to hear again was Hard Knock Life.

i didn't think DOA was too bad though - it was promising somewhat, but the second single with Rhianna and Kanye is not good to these ears.

uncreative
Vintage Newbie

Ha, that T-Pain app is pretty dang cool. Laughing
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

uncreative wrote:

Yeah, if you're one of Walter Freeman's quickie patients. Rolling Eyes

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
uncreative wrote:

Yeah, if you're one of Walter Freeman's quickie patients. Rolling Eyes

Are you saying that spending hours singing rap songs into your phone and laughing when you play back your auto-tuned voice saying things like "Shawty" and "I'm N luv wit a stripper" is for idiots?
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
is there a Pitchfork equivalent in the rap world?

Totally missed th is in the first run, needless to say http://www.hiphopsite.com was the go to place for hip hop back in the day.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

Uncreative, I've had the app for a few days but don't remember seeing "I'm On A Boat."
Is it actually there for download?

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
bigideas wrote:
is there a Pitchfork equivalent in the rap world?

Totally missed th is in the first run, needless to say http://www.hiphopsite.com was the go to place for hip hop back in the day.

what about TO-day?

I streamed Kid Cudi's album on myspace today.

I'm not sure how the reviews will be. It's a concept album with the tracklisted divided into sections. Some speaking parts before/after songs.

As far as production/sounds I like it quite a bit.

I'm not sure his lyrics/singing is the greatest though.

So I kinda would like to have it for the backing tracks, but I don't think I would replay it much. If it goes on sale for $7.99 or less I would probably get it.

I think Pitchfork will at least give it a 7 because he tried and did something somewhat different from most in the rap game - but on the otherhand, I could see them trashing some of the lyrics and/or pop sway to some of it. Should be interesting. I could see anything from 5-8.

Jay Z III got manhandled today though.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Wonder if the critical Kanye backlash has begun, since he produced a lot of that record???

Hip Hop site seems to still be current, and then there was also sohh.com and okayplayer.com which was started by Questlove of the roots, and is considered the hub of a lot of the more counter culture hip hop and R & B artists... all of those sites are still current and cutting edge based on me swinging over to them as I post this. I want to see this Jayz review now!

*Just read it, and That was a pretty typical Pitchfork review, standard 3 prong skewering.

uncreative
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
Uncreative, I've had the app for a few days but don't remember seeing "I'm On A Boat."
Is it actually there for download?

I can't find it either, but when I go to the page for it in the app store there is a link at the top to see top in-app purchases and On a Boat is in there. It's pissing me off because that's why I bought it! But it's still cool, and I'm sure it will be available to buy soon.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
*Just read it, and That was a pretty typical Pitchfork review, standard 3 prong skewering.

What do you mean?

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Oh, well, When I 1st was introduced to the Pitchfork, I thought they called it that cause ROck and Roll was Devil music. THen when I realized how often they decimate albums in their reviews, that they were skewering them, and a pitchfork is like a skewer but with three prongs, so three times as severe. They're notoriously harsh. Did we ever mention their back and forth with Ryan Adams in that thread. So crazy interviews and one streaming answering machine message posted on the site made for a good lull killer on a slow day at the office.

Last edited by wilsmith on Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Oh, well, When I 1st was introduced to the Pitchfork, I thought they called it that cause ROck and Roll was Devil music. THen when I realized how often they decimate albums i their reviews, that they were skewering them, and a pitchfork is like a skewer but with three prongs, so three times as severe. They're notoriously harsh. Did we ever mention their back and forth with Ryan Adams in that thread. So crazy interviews and one streaming answering machine message posted on the site made for a good lull killer on a slow day at the office.

ok, i get you now.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>