Laughing City
goto page
 | next >>

My feelings on the use of AutoTune on a lead vocal are as so...
It sucks.
34%
 34%  [ 16 ]
I love it.
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if used in moderation.
27%
 27%  [ 13 ]
Is it just to cover the fact that these people can't sing?
29%
 29%  [ 14 ]
none of these - i will address in my reply
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 47

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Kanye is featuring this a lot on his new stuff and I've heard a couple R&B/Rap songs featuring this.

What if this was a new kind of movement like 'grunge' or 'emo,' and then they would always talk about it like so:

*faux newspiece from the future*

The Robotica* movement all started with Cher's use of AutoTune in her hit, Do You Believe in Life After Love?.

Kanye: Man, I heard that Cher song a few years back and it was like a bullet to the brain, man**. I had to know where that voice came from. It was like I had been asleep all these years and then, BAM! For some reason around the time I was writing for 808 I remembered that sound. It was the sound of the future, man, and I had to have it.

*this is just a joke term my friend and i say anytime a cellphone goes whack and distorts your voice like a robot. seemed appropriate considering.

**i think Bruce Springsteen (or someone else) said something like this in reference to the first snare hit on Dylan's - Like a Rolling Stone when they heard it for the first time.

Last edited by bigideas on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:12 am; edited 2 times in total
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

It's increasingly emphasizing the advertising and imaging part of music, and diminishing the the part of music that takes actual musical skill and talent.

Throw it in the $#@! lake.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

If Roger Troutman were alive, he would have a lot more work these days, cause he was the master of the Vocoder, and that's basically what autotune is a shortcut for. To do vocoder you have to be able play some type of instrument through vocoder, which thing puts your voice in that key and pitch.

So... now technology has made it even easier. Autotune is usually hard to detect because people used to get of key a little and it would correct it, it got noticeable when people who didn't have any inkling of voice started singing, and staying in key was like Rocky's parking in Rocky 2. The "Robo" voice was a happy accident people found out about when the software had to be overdriven. It's the computer's way of saying to the engineer "Are they trying to sing this bad? Is that Biz Markie out there??? If not, lay off, you're gonna burn out all my RAM!"

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
unclearlies
Vintage Newbie

I think if used in a creative way....it can be all right...but I really don't like the use of Antares Autotune...

I think Kanye's use of if on his new album is used in a creative way...I've heard pretty much the whole album 808s and Heartbreak and I'm blown away....

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Well, everything goes in cycles, ya'll be the judge...

Behold, Neil Young - Trans (1982)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn6jBsUB4kw

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

When I recorded my album last year, the producer put autotune on my voice. I let him because I wasn't in top form at the time. Now I regret it.

I find the sound of ultra-autotune to be extremely abrasive. I can't stand to hear the tiniest bit of pitch shift warble on songs like "Trolleywood," much less the robotic drone of "Do You Believe" and "Beautiful Girls" and crap like that. I really don't get how anyone can like that kind of thing, or consider it anything approaching artistry.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Yeah, all valid points.

AutoTune has been used for a while now, it was just to tweek things here and there usually - trying to be unnoticeable as possible.

I thought about the Vocoder, too. I'm not sure of the early uses of this - was it in space funk of the 70's - I really don't know. The last use of it I remember is in Snibe off of the last Sunny Day Real Estate record. Then of course you have Daft Punk (who Kanye even sampled).

What made me pose this question was that now that are artists who use this as their trademark sound.

I saw a couple of videos on BET and I believe there is one current popular performer who uses this on every song. I think I saw one video of his own and then he did a cameo and used that same effect.

Speaking of Kanye - when I was reading up on the wiki entry after posting it linked to new mixes/masters of the first 2 singles posted within the last week on his blog. It actually sounds pretty cool in this instance to me. I'm intrigued about this release. The lyrics seem to be not the greatest, but I like 808's and wish I owned one.

I've read about that Neil album. Something about trying to communicate with his sick son at the time.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

T-Pain, he is trying to la claim to the effect, he is the Nate Dogg of this decade. He sings hooks on everybody's stuff, but now they are all just saying , why pay him? We can just go to the studio and just hit a button and, voila, what was his is ours.

Really feeling edified by the mention of The Rising Tide. Glad you didn't mention Bon Jovi's It's My Life, you know they comeback that was basically a Britney b-side.

Yeah, NY's son was mute as a result of Cerebal Palsy, so he wanted people to relate to what it was like to not be able to communicate in a natural voice, from reports. That or he really had it in for David Geffen...

For some trippy music the Robovoice sounds cool over the tracks, but as a way to make a bad singer sound cool when they otherwise wouldn't, why not just have Software Developers on the next AmeriCon Idol?

and the winner is Autotune 7.3.4 beta!

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

I guess it could be okay, but it's typically lame. Sorry Yeezy.

**A great example is Weezy's verse on Swagga Like Us. As if he couldn't sound worse... Razz
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:

Yeah, NY's son was mute as a result of Cerebal Palsy, so he wanted people to relate to what it was like to not be able to communicate in a natural voice, from reports. That or he really had it in for David Geffen...

I have read they sued him for purposefully making bad albums around that time. I bought Reactor on vinyl because it was pretty cheap and I just wanted some Neal. Then I listened and saw why I would always see that particular Neil album in any used vinyl store pretty cheap.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
wilsmith wrote:

I have read they sued him for purposefully making bad albums around that time. I bought Reactor on vinyl because it was pretty cheap and I just wanted some Neal. Then I listened and saw why I would always see that particular Neil album in any used vinyl store pretty cheap.
Smile

they need an emoicon for snickering...

You know, some NY records are just like the "acceptance" speech Johnny Rotten sent to the RNR HOF's induction a couple of years back, and though I won't ever pay money for em', the fact that he did em' makes me smile and feel warm inside.

Elvis = The King
James Brown = The Godfather
Neil Young = Crazy Uncle

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

So I listened to the local rap station for an hour or more today.
One of the songs that is one of the top videos on BET has AutoTune and I could have swore at the end in his AutoTune voice at the end he said something like, "This is the end of AutoTune."

am i going crazy?

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
So I listened to the local rap station for an hour or more today.
One of the songs that is one of the top videos on BET has AutoTune and I could have swore at the end in his AutoTune voice at the end he said something like, "This is the end of AutoTune."

am i going crazy?

Probably not, right now it's a BIG money maker, and hey are beating it like a dead horse, so somebodies gonna cash in on the trend being over.

I'll be honest, I never thought the "iggigty" think was gonna go out of style back when Das EFX and Kriss Kross were doin' it, not you only get it on the family guy.

Nightmare
Vintage Newbie

I have a really good idea of what this is but I'm not certain. I really don't listen to the radio...
Joined: 28 Apr 2005 | Posts: 3505 | Location: In your dreams
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Nightmare wrote:
I have a really good idea of what this is but I'm not certain. I really don't listen to the radio...

Surely you've heard Cher's - Do You Believe in Life AFter Love?

You know how her voice sounds robotic?

That's why - AutoTune used to dramatic effect.

I heard several songs using it in the short time I listened to the radio today.

Kanye is forthright about using it extensively for his new album.

One funny story - a local church who broadcasts every Sunday - I'm about 100% sure they use AutoTune. i guess Jesus doesn't like out of tune hymns....... Wink

goto page
 | next >>