Laughing City
sebas
Golly, Poster

lazerbith wrote:
well, the deal is that christians follow the bible. or i think most do anymore?
and the bible, a.k.a word of god, is pretty clear about relationships with non believers.
not that it can be forced, but whatever.
so im sorta confused saellys. for the most part is it safe to say that the jewish faith does not believe jesus is the messiah? and since that is the basis for christianity as a whole, how can you reconcile that? also, is it not forbidden in Judaism to describe god as taking human form, aka jesus? thus christianity totally violates the Jewish belief. two totally contradictory faiths. so, im lost.

Love conquers faith or religion, I believe. True love anyway, whatever that is.

-Mahatma, Gandhi
RockerChick
Sea Post King

I'm only going to marry someone from The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

lazerbith wrote:
well, the deal is that christians follow the bible. or i think most do anymore?
and the bible, a.k.a word of god, is pretty clear about relationships with non believers.
not that it can be forced, but whatever.
so im sorta confused saellys. for the most part is it safe to say that the jewish faith does not believe jesus is the messiah? and since that is the basis for christianity as a whole, how can you reconcile that? also, is it not forbidden in Judaism to describe god as taking human form, aka jesus? thus christianity totally violates the Jewish belief. two totally contradictory faiths. so, im lost.

I'm aware of the contradictory nature of Judaism and Christianity, as well as the verses you mentioned. I know that I love my husband more than anyone I've ever met, including myself, and he's perfect for me just the way he is. I see no need to "reconcile" our differing faiths.

As it happens, my husband's parents are of differing religions, though his father is Unitarian Universalist so that's not necessarily contradictory. Wink He grew up with a mom that observed the Sabbath and various other Jewish minutiae and a dad who didn't, so he doesn't mind the contradiction. I grew up with no major religious influence besides grandparents who took me to church once a month at most, so I spent my childhood developing a very strong moral compass free of dogma or outside pressure. Our upbringing had a big impact on how we view our religions and our relationship now.

There are portions of the Bible I take less seriously than others (see also: the Young Earth Creation thread), largely because they were not quoted directly from God or Jesus, and only got included in the Bible because seventy men thought they should be there. One of those is the "unequally yoked" passage.

I know that doesn't fit in with your more conservative form of Christianity, but that's how it is. I've been confronted about this by people I once considered friends, because they couldn't accept my decision. Even my grandfather, who is a devout Christian and amateur theologian and who believes the Jews are still God's chosen people, couldn't wrap his head around it. I'm used to people not understanding how I manage to have a happy, loving marriage to a Jewish man, and I'm okay with that. They're not the ones married to him. Smile

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
freakinalex
Lost at Forum

If Mel Gibson can marry a woman who's not Christian and she doesn't convert, then Sherri and Max can get married without anyone converting.
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

freakinalex wrote:
If Mel Gibson can marry a woman who's not Christian and she doesn't convert, then Sherri and Max can get married without anyone converting.

When Sherri makes 4 Lethal Weapon movies, and drunkenly calls a cop 'sugar tits' I'll give her a pass.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
freakinalex wrote:

When Sherri makes 4 Lethal Weapon movies, and drunkenly calls a cop 'sugar tits' I'll give her a pass.

This topic is already over, but that was a pretty good effort, Laughing

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
indyice
Sea Post King

Life is hard enough. If they love each other enough to marry, good for them. I'm sure they have worked out the whole Christian/Jewish issue.
I sure can't knock people of faith, I have enough problems with what I feel is right/wrong, true/false, & ect.

starbucksgod
Vintage Newbie

Man i love interfaith marriages. im a christian but i would love to marry a buddhist
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

starbucksgod wrote:
Man i love interfaith marriages. im a christian but i would love to marry a buddhist

A real (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, et cetera) buddhist, or one of those hippie converts?

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
Jared x
Lost at Forum

Pantheon4 wrote:
starbucksgod wrote:

A real (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, et cetera) buddhist, or one of those hippie converts?

Are you saying that only Asian people can be Buddhist?

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Jared x wrote:
Pantheon4 wrote:
starbucksgod wrote:

Are you saying that only Asian people can be Buddhist?

Yes

starbucksgod
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
starbucksgod wrote:

A real Buddhist. Preferably Japanese

breathless
Sea Post King

Saellys wrote:

There are portions of the Bible I take less seriously than others (see also: the Young Earth Creation thread), largely because they were not quoted directly from God or Jesus, and only got included in the Bible because seventy men thought they should be there. One of those is the "unequally yoked" passage.

I don't really want to get involved in discussing the other issue, but -

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.
-2 Timothy 3:16

sebas
Golly, Poster

I wish I could be trained for righteousness!

-Mahatma, Gandhi
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

breathless wrote:
Saellys wrote:

I don't really want to get involved in discussing the other issue, but -

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.
-2 Timothy 3:16

And yet that council I mentioned had the daunting and unenviable (not to mention quite probably unnecessary) task of deciding which books were canon and which were left out of the Bible. If all scripture is God-breathed, why did so much get left on the proverbial (har) cutting room floor?

Not that I'm trying to start or further a religious debate or anything. People got questions, I got answers. Wink

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address