Laughing City
creativeamp68
Sea Post King

Just saw this today. Done by Kina Grannis, a great guitarist that garnered some attention by winning a Doritos Superbowl contest last year for up and coming singers. Very good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_VxrLGAwco

Favorite Eisley Track of the Moment - Marsh King's Daughter
Joined: 22 Oct 2007 | Posts: 27 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Last edited by creativeamp68 on Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Her voice is nice, and I like the uptempo swing of it, but she does that thing I hate so much in many singers where she's just so sincere about the song. That's probably how she won a Doritos contest, I guess.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jared x
Lost at Forum

Saellys wrote:
but she does that thing I hate so much in many singers where she's just so sincere about the song.

Please explain because I don't understand how being sincere is a bad thing. It's not like she's over the top. She just looks like she's genuinely enjoying herself.

nevernever
Laughing Citizen

awww, I love Kina. she's the sister of one of my good friends from high school. I was so stoked when she won that contest.

oh! my friend is in it. Emi is the one on Kina's left. Smile
Joined: 10 Nov 2005 | Posts: 1692 | Location: orange county, ca
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Jared x wrote:
Saellys wrote:
but she does that thing I hate so much in many singers where she's just so sincere about the song.

Please explain because I don't understand how being sincere is a bad thing. It's not like she's over the top. She just looks like she's genuinely enjoying herself.

It looks over the top to me. She's leaning into the camera and moving her head around like she's delivering the most profound lines ever written. It looks like she's pretending to enjoy herself.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
Jared x wrote:
Saellys wrote:

It looks over the top to me. She's leaning into the camera and moving her head around like she's delivering the most profound lines ever written. It looks like she's pretending to enjoy herself.

Oh you. I actually said the exact same thing about her Hallelujah cover and got chewed out by all of her e-fans.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
lookingXglass
Golly, Poster

Saellys wrote:
Jared x wrote:
Saellys wrote:

Perhaps she just has passion, I have no idea why that is a bad thing.

"I don't wanna touch you and feel so helpless; I don't wanna smell you and lose my senses" Rufus Wainwright, Foolish Love
Joined: 28 Dec 2007 | Posts: 807 | Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
redboots
Sea Post King

nevernever wrote:
awww, I love Kina. she's the sister of one of my good friends from high school. I was so stoked when she won that contest.

oh! my friend is in it. Emi is the one on Kina's left. Smile

cool!

I like this cover!! Maybe it will spread the word about Eisley to new fans Smile.
Joined: 30 May 2008 | Posts: 309 | Location: above the tree tops
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

lookingXglass wrote:
Saellys wrote:
Jared x wrote:
Saellys wrote:

Perhaps she just has passion, I have no idea why that is a bad thing.

Passion is fine. I am all for having passion for the songs and giving 100% every time you play them--that is, in fact, my philosophy when it comes to my own music, in performing and songwriting alike. Maybe if I saw her live my opinion would change, but when I watch her videos I just see something ingenuine.

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Oh you. I actually said the exact same thing about her Hallelujah cover and got chewed out by all of her e-fans.

Ugh. She treats that song the same way Allison Crowe does: no dynamics at all. You're not supposed to be wailing on the second verse! Yes, it's emotional, but take a page from Jeff's book and treat it reverently.

Smokemonster
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

I liked it.
Catey
Lost at Forum

Her voice is nice, but maybe it's me but I think the song suits Stacy and Sherri's voices to a tee...it just sounds foreign to me hearing someone else with (in my opinion) not as rich a voice as the girls.

It might have something to do with her covering so many songs I rate highly and feel should go untouched too.
Joined: 02 Aug 2005 | Posts: 1086 | Location: Essex, England
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

Nothing wrong with Eisley getting some good free PR in my book. Nicely done, kept it simple like the original. I liked the clap & tap percussion too. Smile
WindFromTheOcean
Golly, Poster

I say, it is a good cover. Cool they are having fun though.

"As an artist... I feel that we must try many things - but above all, we must dare to fail. You must have the courage to be bad - to be willing to risk everything to really express it all..."
Joined: 16 Aug 2007 | Posts: 948 | Location: Cebu Rock City, Philippines baby!!
creativeamp68
Sea Post King

IMO it's still a good cover. Kina does a lot of covers along with her own material online and it's cool that she spreads the word for other artists that her audience may not have heard of before.

Favorite Eisley Track of the Moment - Marsh King's Daughter
Joined: 22 Oct 2007 | Posts: 27 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

I just went back and read through the thread so far, and couldn't find any posts saying it wasn't a good cover.

Smokemonster