Laughing City
rockchick1959
Golly, Poster

Ok, so I'm talking about the recording found on Ep2. There's some ad playing at the beginning and the end about some kind of ibuprofen. Any idea what that's a commercial for really and why it's on that song?

it seems an odd addition to me is all...

(is there some subliminal message i should be getting? "Eisley says go out and buy more motrin!" or is there a connection lyrically to the song?)

http://kimschaefer.bandcamp.com/

http://youtube.com/kimschaefermusic
johnip
Vintage Newbie

it was on a tape in the keyboard or something they bought. someone else will know more.
Golly, Poster

I've always wondered about that.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

It was on a tape that I believe was in their prized Wurlitzer. It seems to me that it's just nice and eerie. This has been discussed before, but I don't have time to do a thorough enough search ...

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

David Bowie was really excited about Ibuprofen, so he had one of his groupies record a commercial, talking about all the wonders of Ibuprofen and hid it in a box and buried it on a beach near Seattle.

Bella and Edward, who are real, by the way, just like this story, were being vampires and running around and such. They used their vampire skills to detect a cassette tape in a box buried in the sand on a beach near Seattle, and they smelt the essence of Bowie.

They thought it best to get rid of it as soon as possible, so they threw it into the ocean, and some kid found it a week later, about 5 miles from where it was buried. He rinsed it out and let it dry, then stuck it in the side of his grandma's wurly, and forgot about it.

The grandma sold the wurly and some small church in Texas bought it right up, off ebay.

The church hated it, and so they pawned it off on some sweet people in Tyler, last name Dupree.

Stacy, being both a ninja and a psychic, realized it had been touched by Bowie, Bella and Edward, and decided to use it in a song about the forest, since that is where Bella and Edward live. Bowie, too. Sometimes.

So that is the story of the woman talking at the beginning of "Over the Mountains we be goin'."

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

That's it! How could I forget? Laughing

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sukieinthe_g
Golly, Poster

There's a section on the wikipedia listing songs that use the wurlitzer. Can we stick any Eisley songs in there? Did they use the wurlitzer in their studio albums/eps?
nevernever
Laughing Citizen

"...they're very popular, they're out there -- Advil, Ibuprofen... is the biggie now. If you have cramps, if you have... a pulled muscle, if your back hurts from sitting at the computer, whatever the problem... take a little bit of Ibuprofen. Not a good idea... to take it without knowing your--"

hahaha, I've had that memorized for so long. I love it.
Joined: 10 Nov 2005 | Posts: 1692 | Location: orange county, ca
rockchick1959
Golly, Poster

and then there's something at the end too. i had only noticed the beginning before.

http://kimschaefer.bandcamp.com/

http://youtube.com/kimschaefermusic
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

cynlovescandy wrote:
David Bowie was really excited about Ibuprofen, so he had one of his groupies record a commercial, talking about all the wonders of Ibuprofen and hid it in a box and buried it on a beach near Seattle.

Bella and Edward, who are real, by the way, just like this story, were being vampires and running around and such. They used their vampire skills to detect a cassette tape in a box buried in the sand on a beach near Seattle, and they smelt the essence of Bowie.

They thought it best to get rid of it as soon as possible, so they threw it into the ocean, and some kid found it a week later, about 5 miles from where it was buried. He rinsed it out and let it dry, then stuck it in the side of his grandma's wurly, and forgot about it.

The grandma sold the wurly and some small church in Texas bought it right up, off ebay.

The church hated it, and so they pawned it off on some sweet people in Tyler, last name Dupree.

Stacy, being both a ninja and a psychic, realized it had been touched by Bowie, Bella and Edward, and decided to use it in a song about the forest, since that is where Bella and Edward live. Bowie, too. Sometimes.

So that is the story of the woman talking at the beginning of "Over the Mountains we be goin'."

Best. Story. Ever.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
alastica
Sea Post King

I always just listen to the Laughing City recording of it, but yeah, I never understood what that intro was all about.

sukieinthe_g wrote:
There's a section on the wikipedia listing songs that use the wurlitzer. Can we stick any Eisley songs in there? Did they use the wurlitzer in their studio albums/eps?

What the heck does that have to do with this thread? Haha.

Joined: 01 Apr 2006 | Posts: 314 | Location: Greetings From Michigan, The Great Lakes State!
lookingXglass
Golly, Poster

Yeah, I've always wondered why that was on there...hmm...

"I don't wanna touch you and feel so helpless; I don't wanna smell you and lose my senses" Rufus Wainwright, Foolish Love
Joined: 28 Dec 2007 | Posts: 807 | Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
sukieinthe_g
Golly, Poster

Yeah. I dunno. I was bored this morning.
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

cynlovescandy wrote:

I'm relishing the idea of David Bowie living in the forest.

Vintage Newbie

cynlovescandy wrote:

Brilliant! Smile