Laughing City

Does the new trailer change your perception of Abrams take on the Trek?
This looks a lot more compelling
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Well, it's an improvement
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Still looks like they're trying to make it something it shouldn't be
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
From Starfleet Acadamy directly to Captian, come on! I call bull$h!+
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

How could this happen two nights in a row???

The first trailer had the Phantom Menace affect on me, now this one is more to my liking:

http://www.startrekmovie.com/

Like the other Star Franchise, they should spare us the Kiddie stuff and get right to the grit of post adolescence.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

"Post-adolescence" is the perfect way to describe this crap. Like a teenager on the cusp of adulthood, this movie is fully self-aware in addition to being self-important with absolutely nothing to back it up. I'm not even a Trek fan, but it really pains me to hear someone in the trailer regurgitate the same watered-down melodrama of choosing your own destiny. ("If you want Kirk to beam down to the planet, turn to page 11. If you want him to stay on board the Enterprise, turn to page 82.") That universe deserves better.

And nothing else about it looks all that promising, either. Star Trek is not the kind of thing anyone should attempt to revitalize into a story about young, sexy people in space. At its best it was a collection of woefully unattractive, sexless characters led by a bald man (who was and still is admittedly sexy, but not in the fratboy way the new Kirk is supposed to be), voyaging into the unknown armed only with the power of early 1990s optimism. You can't modernize that, any more than The Next Generation was already a modernization at the time--you can only enjoy it for what it was in context.

And lest anyone tries to combat my sci-fi cynicism by mentioning that great triumph of modernization with its own diehard fan backlash, Battlestar Galactica, I'll bet a hundred dollars that Ronald D. Moore would be the first person to agree with me. He wrote a lot of TNG, and then grew disillusioned while working on Voyager, due in large part to that show's attempts to bring Trek into the modern age.

The sad thing is the Abrams movie would probably make a very decent, if forgettable, stand-alone science fiction film with all original characters and situations. As an installment in the Star Trek saga it looks to be completely bland at best and most likely a steaming heap of crap. I can only assume that Gene Roddenberry's corpse is rotating like a pig on a spit. And what's really disturbing is that every person I know who didn't grow up watching The Next Generation is ZOMG, so totally excited about the new movie!!1!

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Man, you are on a tear tonight Laughing

I'm just happy this trailer is better than the last one! Very Happy

The new Kirk is pretty boiler plate, they could have got Casper Van Diem for good measure for full Irony, or the other Dr. on Bones, who was on Space: Above and Beyond, Foxes BSG rip off back in the day Twisted Evil

Man, I am pulling out all the geek cards, I need to go to bed. But I get your gist, many times over actually... and I would have to say, I gave an inch, and you made a Molehill, I am impressed, that was 3rd degree harshness with a lefthanded compliment at the end... cause you basically proposed that this movie could have been the next Watchmen. Don't believe me, peep the wikipedia quote:

"In 1985, DC Comics acquired a line of characters from Charlton Comics.[2] During that period, writer Alan Moore contemplated writing a story featuring an unused line of superheroes that he could revamp, as he had done in his Miracleman series in the early 1980s. Moore reasoned that MLJ Comics' Mighty Crusaders might be available for such a project, so he devised a murder mystery plot which would begin with the discovery of the body of The Shield in a harbor. The writer felt it did not matter which set of characters he ultimately used, as long as readers recognized them "so it would have the shock and surprise value when you saw what the reality of these characters was".[1] Moore used this premise and crafted a proposal featuring the Charlton characters titled Who Killed the Peacemaker,[3] and submitted the unsolicited proposal to DC managing editor Dick Giordano.[2] Giordano was receptive to the proposal, but the editor opposed the idea of using the Charlton characters for the story. Moore said, "DC realized their expensive characters would end up either dead or dysfunctional." Instead, Giordano convinced Moore to rework his pitch to feature original characters.[4] Moore had initially believed that original characters would not provide emotional resonance for the readers, but later changed his mind"

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

My dad is excited to see it. Laughing Laughing Laughing

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
do not be afraid.
Lost at Forum

that is not Star Trek! i'm kind of shocked by how strong my reaction to that trailer is, since i don't think i've watched anything Star Trek related in forever, but when i was a kid i was completely obsessed with it (especially TOS), and watching that honestly made me feel like i was watching my entire childhood being tortured, raped, and murdered! i mean, what's the $#@! point of returning to TOS-era, only to completely destroy everything that made it so great, and turn it into just another J. J. Abrams piece of crap!?!
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 | Posts: 1126 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I thought you knew?? That's what prequels are designed to do. Just ask George Lucas...

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
I thought you knew?? That's what prequels are designed to do. Just ask George Lucas...

+1. I'm just glad it's finally happening to Trek too, so all the fandoms can be on the same page.

Interesting quote about Watchmen. I had no idea.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gundamit
Golly, Poster

The original show is the best. Its just so frickin funny to watch the actors tear up the cardboard scenery.

Wow, speaking of tearing it up ... Saellys withering critique makes me wish the film is a critical and commercial success and will prove a pleasant surprise even to Saellys. Long odds I know ...

As far as how a Kirk would go from Star Fleet Academy noob to Captain of a ship that all the alien chicks are into, I would have gone with mutiny as my plot device. Go on Saelly, tell me why that would be heretical, silly and or stupid. Laughing

Vintage Newbie

Mutiny, I never actually thought of that. That makes perfect sense, but then how would that suss out with Starfleet? Don't answer, just being rhetorically pragmatic as a devil's advocate.

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Considering the many paths Star Trek has available to it, I think there's plenty of room for a "modernized" version in there. It's not like they are trying to wipe out everything else.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

To make a prequel to the original Star Trek you'd have to be so retro! I mean I love those old shows, but the sets were so cheesy by today's standards, how could you make it fit? And anyway, I wasn't at all impressed by the trailer!
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

gundamit wrote:
As far as how a Kirk would go from Star Fleet Academy noob to Captain of a ship that all the alien chicks are into, I would have gone with mutiny as my plot device. Go on Saelly, tell me why that would be heretical, silly and or stupid.

I didn't get a mutiny vibe from the contextual dialogue in the trailer at all. I got a "the captain and first mate beamed aboard an alien ship to parley, got incinerated, and now they're gonna shoot us out of the sky" vibe. Mutiny (led by Kirk or otherwise) wouldn't be heretical, silly, or stupid, which is why I really don't think it will pop up in this movie. The mutineers would need to have character depth and motivation, and I doubt this movie is sophisticated enough for that.

TheAntrider wrote:
Considering the many paths Star Trek has available to it, I think there's plenty of room for a "modernized" version in there. It's not like they are trying to wipe out everything else.

I have no doubt that if this movie does well enough at the box office, J. J. Abrams will fart out a series of sequels that retell and modernize classic Trek.

mikep0922 wrote:
To make a prequel to the original Star Trek you'd have to be so retro! I mean I love those old shows, but the sets were so cheesy by today's standards, how could you make it fit? And anyway, I wasn't at all impressed by the trailer!

Seriously. It made about as much sense as the Star Wars prequels having more advanced, sleeker technology (and Artoo can suddenly fly? Riiiiiiight). By its very nature, modernizing Trek kills the feel of the whole thing.

Smokemonster
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Judging by the Weird-looking ship going through the wormhole looking thing, there is either some Time Travel, or extra-dimensional travel in this movie. How that tweaks things if it's true could be the biggest blow to traditionalists.

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

I love how people act like they're freakin' Boudica while watching a NON-CANON movie. Laughing

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
guitargirl
Laughing Citizen

Saellys wrote:

Seriously. It made about as much sense as the Star Wars prequels having more advanced, sleeker technology (and Artoo can suddenly fly? Riiiiiiight). By its very nature, modernizing Trek kills the feel of the whole thing.

We (friends and family that I've watched Star Wars with) always thought that the prequels showed a period that was a kind of "Golden Age" with more technology, etc. perhaps corresponding to the better political situation, followed by the original movies, more of a "dark ages," corresponding to the Empire's rule. That might sound stupid to you but we always thought of it that way. Cool

j'ai pas envie d'être un robot, métro boulot dodo
-Kelli
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger