Laughing City
KH Vandread
Sea Post King

Pantheon4 wrote:
KH Vandread wrote:
Actually, I just really want a studio version of Lady of the Wood and Silver Bugs.

No you don't.

It's such a good thing I have you here, or else I absolutely would not know what I do and do not want.

Now the real trick is for you to explain why I don't want them.
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Damn near every time they do one of the obscure songs in the studio, it gets too slick and the song suffers.

Exhibit A: "Lost at Sea"
The demo has such a good vibe. The lo-fi sound of the revolving tape real adds to the alienation and feeling of being lost at sea. The studio version sounds like you're floating in their air without a care in the world-- it kind of takes away from the meaning of the song.

Exhibit B: "Golly Sandra"
This was my favorite songs of the Room Noises era. The drums on the live mix brought it to life. The studio version was too slick in my opinion. And I hated the lap-steel which only added to the feeling of it being too slick.

Exhibit C: "Head Against the Sky"
My favorite version is the one in the 3MinuteMossMov where Chauntelle beats the $#@! out of the guitar.Very Happy Even in the older demo version there was a sense of intensity that came across well. I sometimes think about music visually, so bear with me... the studio version sounds like looking at a puzzle with pieces missing. Yeah, you get what the picture is supposed to look like, but it's hard to ignore those blank spots. In addition, there is a loss of heaviness to the song. I always thought of the song as Eisley's face-melter, but the studio version sounds like it's been castrated.

Exhibit D: "Like The Actors"
This was one of my favorite songs of the Combinations era. But it was like Golly Sandra all over again. They overshadow Weston in the mix. BLASPHEMY!

Honorable Mentions of Live and demo versions that sound better: "Invasion" (demo), "I Could Be There For You" (demo), "Many Funerals" (pre-recording live), "Ten Cent Blues" (demo, although I do like the recorded version.)

Summary: Just be glad you have a version to listen to at all.

I should start a "Don't turn down Weston!" movement on the forum. Oh the good old days with movements and fads... anyone remember the "____ is hott fad?" Good times. Good times. Laughing

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

I'll probably say it till the day I die, Lost At Sea rough tape demo is the best eisley song ever.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
ync
Golly, Poster

i just got a whole bunch of songs by them..and just found out it's "the baby" so i feel kind of bad for downloading it now - i didn't realize what it was Embarassed but from what i've heard it's a difficult find - so i would think it would be the hardest eisley song(s) to find.

i think the hardest eisley song for me to find is "Wings and Windows" but recently made the brilliant decision to look for it on youtube and lo and behold it's there Rolling Eyes and it's beautiful =] - i've also yet to hear "michael's song"

You misunderstood. I used that emoticon to show people what they'd look like after I stab them in the eye.

Wink
vintage_snowflake
Golly, Poster

ync wrote:
- i've also yet to hear "michael's song"

no one hears that. ever.

I'm intrigued by the mention of a rough-cut lost at sea demo... sounds good.
KH Vandread
Sea Post King

Pantheon4 wrote:
Damn near every time they do one of the obscure songs in the studio, it gets too slick and the song suffers.

Exhibit A: "Lost at Sea"
The demo has such a good vibe. The lo-fi sound of the revolving tape real adds to the alienation and feeling of being lost at sea. The studio version sounds like you're floating in their air without a care in the world-- it kind of takes away from the meaning of the song.

Exhibit B: "Golly Sandra"
This was my favorite songs of the Room Noises era. The drums on the live mix brought it to life. The studio version was too slick in my opinion. And I hated the lap-steel which only added to the feeling of it being too slick.

Exhibit C: "Head Against the Sky"
My favorite version is the one in the 3MinuteMossMov where Chauntelle beats the $#@! out of the guitar.Very Happy Even in the older demo version there was a sense of intensity that came across well. I sometimes think about music visually, so bear with me... the studio version sounds like looking at a puzzle with pieces missing. Yeah, you get what the picture is supposed to look like, but it's hard to ignore those blank spots. In addition, there is a loss of heaviness to the song. I always thought of the song as Eisley's face-melter, but the studio version sounds like it's been castrated.

Exhibit D: "Like The Actors"
This was one of my favorite songs of the Combinations era. But it was like Golly Sandra all over again. They overshadow Weston in the mix. BLASPHEMY!

Honorable Mentions of Live and demo versions that sound better: "Invasion" (demo), "I Could Be There For You" (demo), "Many Funerals" (pre-recording live), "Ten Cent Blues" (demo, although I do like the recorded version.)

Summary: Just be glad you have a version to listen to at all.

I should start a "Don't turn down Weston!" movement on the forum. Oh the good old days with movements and fads... anyone remember the "____ is hott fad?" Good times. Good times. Laughing

I can't say for sure if I have heard those "better" versions before or not.

ync wrote:
i just got a whole bunch of songs by them..and just found out it's "the baby" so i feel kind of bad for downloading it now - i didn't realize what it was Embarassed but from what i've heard it's a difficult find - so i would think it would be the hardest eisley song(s) to find.

Haha, I actually broke that taboo the other day myself and felt like a jerk for it. Still, I actually liked some of the songs on there that haven't seen an actual release yet and kinda wonder what the band could do with them if they dug them out from the scrap heap. As for the rest, I just liked seeing how far some of those songs have actually come.

Anyway, I think I've said enough about that for now.

vintage_snowflake wrote:

Same here.
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

KH Vandread wrote:
ync wrote:

Haha, I actually broke that taboo the other day myself and felt like a jerk for it. Still, I actually liked some of the songs on there that haven't seen an actual release yet and kinda wonder what the band could do with them if they dug them out from the scrap heap. As for the rest, I just liked seeing how far some of those songs have actually come.

I really wish that some of those songs would see the light of day and be given proper treatment. The Mainframe, Lady Get Away, Before, Aristicats and My Cup of Tea would be amazing recorded properly in the studio.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

Responding to the movement proposal that Pantheon4 stated, I would totally go with that "Don't Turn Down Weston (or the bass/Garron)" movement.

One of the things I like about Eisely, especially their live or early mixes is that even though they are clearly pop/rock/indie whatever...they know how to do the bass and interesting rhythm! And interesting, not just loud/crazy/overblown. Don't hide it, embrace it!
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

KH Vandread wrote:

vintage_snowflake wrote:

Same here.

Here you be. Don't worry, boyd released it for download a long time ago, so it is not stolen.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rl1d15

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
KH Vandread
Sea Post King

mr pine wrote:
Here you be. Don't worry, boyd released it for download a long time ago, so it is not stolen.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rl1d15

Thanks for that.
ync
Golly, Poster

vintage_snowflake wrote:
ync wrote:

no one hears that. ever.

well then
...nevermind

You misunderstood. I used that emoticon to show people what they'd look like after I stab them in the eye.

Wink
vintage_snowflake
Golly, Poster

ync wrote:
vintage_snowflake wrote:
ync wrote:

no one hears that. ever.

well then
...nevermind

not to be too severe or anything...
ync
Golly, Poster

vintage_snowflake wrote:
ync wrote:
vintage_snowflake wrote:
ync wrote:

no one hears that. ever.

well then
...nevermind

not to be too severe or anything...

oh, okay, i feel a bit less bad now
i got it confused with another song and for some reason thought it was just a song that was really hard to find, rather than there being no trace of it anywhere.

Wink