Laughing City
olimario
Laughing Citizen

As much as I search, I have a hard time finding good music reviews online.

Movies and Video Games have multiple high quality review sites that are on top of the most recent releases.

Even the music section of MetaCritic is paltry.

So has anyone found a mainstream review site or review of the 'Fire Kite' EP?
olimario
Laughing Citizen

WRONG FORUM Sad Sad
Can a mod move this to the eisleyblog section?

Sorry Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
jamiga
Vintage Newbie

I do this all the time... when you look at your post there is an X on the right side that is the delete button. But you can't do it after someone comments on your post. Sorry.
StuartBuck
Sea Post King

Try setting up an "alert" for Google News: http://www.google.com/alerts

Right now the only result is: http://www.chicagofirekiteteam.com/ I don't think that's directly relevant, but perhaps there's an oblique reference there somewhere. Smile

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Where I write isn't have bad, they aren't super snarky or overly hip for the most part:

www.playbackstl.com

I also don't mind the actual reviews on Billboard.com

and cmj.com has even handed reviews for the most part.

I don't trust blender.com, rollingstone.com, or pitchfork.com but there are times when they do a good job on certain artist, but they have their biases.

As far as I know playbackstl hasn't reviewed it, and I'll be the one to do it. I'm not sure if there are any sites that have championed Eisley in particular, as it helps to have a relationship with whatever outlet it is that's going to do the writing.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
olimario
Laughing Citizen

It's just too bad that all of the sites you listed just pale in comparison to a site like metacritic for movies or gamerankings for video games.

I added my customer review for 'Fire Kite' on Amazon. 4/5 Stars!
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

It's an incredibly small release that nobody know about. WB still has no idea how the hell to promote this band. I wouldn't expect any mainstream press about it.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Sorry to disappoint. Neutral

Maybe it cause music as a source of commerce is on the way out, so reviews and critiques are extraneous in the face of the few vestiges of the Corporate marketing machines that churn out pubescent starlets every 3 years for mass consumption?

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
It's an incredibly small release that nobody know about. WB still has no idea how the hell to promote this band. I wouldn't expect any mainstream press about it.

Exactly. A tour-exclusive/online only release with two finished songs, two demos, and a "Telescope Eyes" cover is pretty much destined to fly under the radar of mainstream press, who tend to review full-albums with maybe an EP or two thrown in if they've got room. We can gush endlessly about how awesome "Ambulance" and "The Valley" sound and how much potential the GarageBand demos have, but most professional music critics wouldn't be interested in writing two hundred and fifty words about two finished tracks.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
olimario
Laughing Citizen

I guess the music industry doesn't value previews and early reviews.
I follow video games closely and every new build of a game gets previewed and broken down. Hundreds of websites weigh in with their thoughts on each small release.

I guess I'm just used to expansive coverage in an industry.
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

olimario wrote:
I guess the music industry doesn't value previews and early reviews.
I follow video games closely and every new build of a game gets previewed and broken down. Hundreds of websites weigh in with their thoughts on each small release.

I guess I'm just used to expansive coverage in an industry.

A lot fewer video games are released than albums. There's a lot more time and space for developments to be covered in the former field is my guess.

Laughing Citizen

You're right.
I didn't realize just how many albums were released every week.

Still, there are probably 25 game releases in a week (retail + download) and each get a writeup.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Dude, like 2500s record get release weekly if you count the Indies, Eps and Singles, in the digital format. Coming out of Music retail AND college Radio I can confirm this to be FACT. And that was during the physical release era.

I used to get so many promos and eps from labels. At one point labels spent more time coming up with clever props to send with music to get your attention or colored vinyl etc cause the glut of music released by the labels alone was over saturating the marking. Shotgun instead of Sniper Rifle, as always. Now that distribution is so accessible to ANYONE it's only gotten worse.

But honestly, the notoriety of the artist will dictate whether it gets coverage (or their buzz). Check the sites I posted earlier and each has a "singles of the week" or "artists on the rise" feature that covers that may have little more than one or two songs available online, and may more not be gigging nationally. So it's not out of the question for Eisley to get coverage for this release, we just need to bare in mind that these songs are JUST getting out there. It's not like they were previewed in full, licensed for a commercial, movie, or tv show and people have heard them.

These days song placement makes careers. There's a reason why "legacy artists" release albums and casual fans don't even know they came out. Same can be said of journalists. You're relying on either a tried and true fan following your band and writing a piece, another band championing you, a label giving somebody a nudge that owes them a favor, or finding a way to get your song out their where it will be noticed. Even if that means getting it on Paris Hilton or Kanye West's blog, or having some celeb tweet it.

SJwin
Sea Post King

Hi guys. Just though I'd let you know Jesusfreakhideout posted a review of Fire Kite. http://www.jesusfreakhideout.com/cdreviews/FireKiteEP.asp
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

Well written review, even if a little harsh on the Garage Band tracks! As for me, I can't listen to any one song without listening to the others! They're all amazing! Smile