Laughing City
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

But do any of you think that Eisley has gone as far as it's going to go? A few weeks ago I watched Anvil! The Story of Anvil.

Brief Synopsis of the film:
Anvil was on the verge of being a huge metal band in 1982, but they never broke into success. But they never broke up either. Now in their 50s they continue to pursue their teenage dreams of being a successful act, despite their age, the fact that they work crappy go-nowhere jobs, and have families.

Anyway, Anvil was in the position in 1982 that Eisley was in around 2005, so the question stands: If this next Eisley album does what the first two did, will they give up and go get 'real jobs' and quit all together, or will they keep on truckin‘?

If we get right down to it, so much of the early press was about their age. I don't want to suggest that any of them are old/getting too old/et cetera. But still, when (the former) youngest member of the band can go get a beer all by herself it kind of puts perspective on how long they've been at this. I remember reading an early article about a show at a bar in which they were too young to go.

For what it’s worth I think they’ve done quite a bit. They may not have 'made it', but they were able to tour around the world, get free clothes and gear, meet interesting people, get involved in relationships, sell their music, have their songs on national tv, and have people who treated them like ‘rockstars‘, and made music a little more tolerable during the hey-day of whiny emo. Not that bad if you ask me.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
Jared x
Lost at Forum

I think that they are doing better than some other bands that have been together longer and are still going. We'll see, I guess. Obviously I wish them the best and hope that LP3 is extremely successful...but with the way their label has been treating them, I am not expecting that to happen.

Don't be too pessimistic though!
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Hmm...

I will say that I hope The Valley and any accessible songs like it on LP3 are marketed towards the Feist/Regina crowd (well, marketed at all, really), and that the SA tour is the last tour of that kind. Their niche isn't the AP crowd. The P stands for Punk and they're about as punk influenced as Streisand! What's worked for Blink, NFG, SA, STD, hell, even Brand New, will not work for them. It would have by now, to be completely honest. It might gain them some fans, but I think overall, it's just detrimental.

I don't think time is rapidly running out for them, or that LP3 is make it or break it, but it is a business. Changes...adjustments, etc. -- they have to happen, because very often, the music will not speak for itself, even if it should.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Go Away and Taking Control both had all the markings of mainstream hits, and nothing happened in that camp.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jared x
Lost at Forum

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Go Away and Taking Control both had all the markings of mainstream hits, and nothing happened in that camp.

Especially Taking Control IMO. That was definite radio material. Oh well.
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Yeah, I've said that quite a few times (Taking Control, not so much Go Away). I'll always be unsure of why that wasn't pushed. If that record had any singles, that was it. But that'd be a totally different market...Avril crowd. But that's that album, and personally, I csan see why it didn't break through.

I hope Smarter gets a little more Eisley-ized, because The Valley and it are two very different songs right now, but both have mainstream potential. I guess we'll have to wait for the album to see which one embodies it more...my hopes are with The Valley, though something tells me they'll go for the former, if not another song completely.
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

hey don't get discouraged. just cause a band or artist is good doesn't mean that they'll get famous automatically. i mean look at the beatles, their first few singles released by an indie label in the states were flops. it took kid rock a good decade to get attention, bright eyes took up to their fourth and fifth albums to get notable attention, death cab has a ton of albums but didn't get much attention till plans, sigur ros didn't catch the attention of many people till the past few years, kings of leon didn't get much attention either till their current album which is their fourth, my morning jacket to me really didn't get that popular till last year and how long have they been around? it took the dixie chicks three albums and replacing their old singer with natalie maines until they got any attention, and during those years before she joined, they toured nationally and even made an appearance on national tv but were still unknown, and then there's fleetwood mac who took also about a good decade to get any mainstream success, with stevie nicks herself writing landslide contemplating whether or not she'll go anywhere with music.

i wouldn't worry so much about it, just let eisley do what they do. just cause they're not famous now doesn't mean they won't be famous later. i mean yeah, there are a ton of stories like anvil out there and that's one of my fears myself being a musician, but at the same time, there's also many stories of bands not getting attention till a long time after they've been out like above. time, patience, and persistence are key if you wanna survive in the music industry, even just on your local scene.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
drew8890
Sea Post King

tahruh wrote:

I will say that I hope The Valley and any accessible songs like it on LP3 are marketed towards the Feist/Regina crowd (well, marketed at all, really), and that the SA tour is the last tour of that kind. Their niche isn't the AP crowd. The P stands for Punk and they're about as punk influenced as Streisand! What's worked for Blink, NFG, SA, STD, hell, even Brand New, will not work for them. It would have by now, to be completely honest. It might gain them some fans, but I think overall, it's just detrimental.

I don't think so. I found out about them through their touring with Taking Back Sunday and since then I have shown them to many people and have created a few fans for them. I'm heading to their show in November with four people thanks to their touring with different genre bands. I think its been helpful for them.

mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
What's worked for Blink, NFG, SA, STD, hell, even Brand New, will not work for them. It would have by now, to be completely honest. It might gain them some fans, but I think overall, it's just detrimental.

True.
On the flip-side, maybe WB need to try something new with Eisley in terms of marketing. Maybe they're already trying, and it's not working. What McLaren tried with the New York Dolls didn't work for them, but it worked for The Sex Pistols. You could say probably say a similar thing about the beginnings of the Ramones and The Sex Pistols.

[And look who's having the last laugh now - New York Dolls have reformed and still on the go!]

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
ks1990
Lost at Forum

Yeah. Sometimes I just don't get it. Practically every song on Combinations was radio-friendly. (Come Clean was screaming to be a single, IMO.) It's perplexing, tbh.

On paper, they should have 'made it' by now. I guess it's easier said than done. But, the only common denominator in this is WB. They've been signed for nearly a decade, but it's like they've been operating as an indie artist for all those years.

I definitely don't think it's too late for them though. But I agree with what tahruh said. Fans of NFG, SA, paramore etc, aren't going to be that interested in Eisley's music. Eisley is too 'pop' for that crowd.

I must admit, I do find it somewhat annoying, when new artists come seemingly from nowhere and achieve mainstream success. Oh well. I'm sure Eisley are happy with where they are right now. They have a small, yet solid fan-base.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

All I can say is:

Death Cab For Cutie took 5 albums to break

Modest Mouse took about that long

Muse took 3

I think age was a passing fad for the press in the 90s because at that time the music was Post-Adolescent angst, so to have adolescents doing it was "intriguing", and then there were just teens doing traditionally adult music too:

Another Bad Creation
Kriss Kross
Silverchair ) were all 15
Days of the New, Travis Meeks was 16 right
Hanson
Leanne Rimes
Johnny Lang
Kenny Wayne Shephard
Charlotte Church

Keep in mind this was before the Disney Machine kicked in and learned how to sell child stars to kids and parents as part of the regular music industry with no emphasis on age outside of controversial pictures and dating, and of course the transition came with:

Britney Spears
Christina Aguilera
Mandy Moore
and the youngest members of N'Sync and Backstreet Boys

I just bring this up because at this point, most of those people still have careers regardless of their age, and not all of them had THAT MUCH success, though others did.

If the hope was for Eisley to top TRL, well guess what? TRL got canned.

With the base that they have, I think they can exist as a working band as long as they want to if they keep making good music, and are mindful of their overhead.

Case in point: Management is now in house, and they cut the album in home territory. Excellent cost cutting moves. I think they're savvy enough at this point to get to where the cost of making and touring the music will eventually cover itself, and at some point turn a respectable profit.

To paraphrase Dave Chappelle's dad advice to him about comedy when he was starting in his teens " If you can make a teacher's salary doing something creative that you love, with that attitude you are on your way to being successful." I think Dave's problems started when he was set to make the salary of 1429 teachers combined.
Laughing

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

I think a lot of you are comparing apples to fish. Maybe fifteen years ago (y-you know, when people still bought records without being 'fans') it was different. Majors were more apt to let bands find their audience. These days with torrents everywhere, the situation is a lot worse. Meanwhile, Modest Mouse, Death Cab, and Muse all built their initial audiences on the indies. Sure, Eisley could go gold on this next album, but it's going to require the 'right' kind of promotion (Not that 'hope it goes viral’ crap), a lot of luck, and hustle.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
nico
Sea Post King

Bands that build slowly are the one's that last, bands who make it big quickly fizzle out first (think one hit wonder).

IMO if you're in the music business to get famous and become rich, then you're in it for the wrong reasons and you won't be able to keep the illusion going for long.

Joined: 23 Jul 2007 | Posts: 55 | Location: Ottawa, Ontario
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

I think Eisley is already successful. It's all relative.
Obviously, they deserve more notoriety than they have, and more money (I'm assuming) than they have.

Regardless, there are so many bands out their working their tails off to get to where Eisley is right now. And making music makes the members of Eisley happy. I don't really see people with their passion for music doing anything else.

I think they are hitting the mark by touring, selling demo's, selling artwork, side projects, indie stuff. That is how Eisley can make money right now, and I hope it all works out for them!

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

[inbeforehowdareyousaysuchthingsabouteisley]

Back when Eisley were promoting Room Noises, they recognition and promotion they managed to get without the label's help was pretty staggering. I can't help but wonder where all that momentum went. Did it get lost when Admiral79 stopped leading those campaigns to vote on online polls? Did Warner Brothers just not know what to do with a band who showed an ounce of initiative?

Well, the label obviously has no idea what to do with Eisley, and people can talk about their big break being around the corner until they turn blue, but the fact is that subsistence is the best most bands could ever hope for. Being able to make a living wage off touring and sales is a lofty enough goal for 99% of musicians, so even though Eisley may well have the potential for superstardom, we're all pretty naïve for expecting that from them--even, as noted above, on the cusp of their third album.

If Eisley eventually manage to recoup their recoupables and make enough money to sustain themselves and no longer have to open for uncomplementary bands under the weak logic of getting more exposure, I will be a happy camper and I bet they will too.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address